Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Spectacular crash at last night's gig

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

It was like watching a car crash in slow motion, I saw it coming. I was doing a "one off" gig at my previous Nightclub residency. It was the first video gig in several months. 3 hours into the gig I noticed the temperature creeping higher than usual. I have a Mac Fans utility on my boot camped Mac showing the readout on the taskbar. The laptop screen colours started going pale and then the whole screen went white, music continued for about 5-10 seconds by which time I had my hand on the fader for my backup iPod which is ALWAYS running at every gig. Then the sound stopped, literally pushed up the fader within a second and the dancers continued. I didn't reboot, just shut down VDJ8 via the taskbar. The back corner of the laptop next to the power supply and video output was red hot. I decided that it was a heat issue due to using video and most likely the graphics card overheating, so, I disconnected the video output from the laptop. I then restarted VDJ8 and ran the rest of the night without video and no more problems.

I've been working in an Hotel since I left my Nightclub residency last August. I don't use video at the Hotel and I've never had a heat issue or a crash. My laptop sits on a cooling plate at all gigs and as I mentioned I have a Mac Fans utility that increases the fan speed from between 60C and 70C. I had noticed that the temperature had gone way above that, but, didn't notice how high it had got to. I was using Don Moir's TV plugin and had one video sample running in the top corner. I used to do video gigs like this every week when I worked there last year.

Maybe my Mac is just getting old, it's a mid 2010 MBP 15" 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 with 4 GB RAM. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB. Oops, forgot to mention, was using djdad's SWAP 4DECKS skin.

I have another booking at this Nightclub on Easter Sunday, meanwhile, back to the Hotel.........

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 8:27 am
age of the machine wouldn't cause it to heat up more but dirty fans and heat sinks due to age could certainly do so ... i would look through the laptop manual or even seek out a service manual online to get inside and clean the fans and heat sinks thoroughly one of those cooling pads can only do so much if the air pathways inside are clogged up.

sometimes just blowing air through the vents isn't enough on older machines

also another thing to check is if the video has been overclocked sometimes they are that way from the factory..... and if so this would cause a lot of heat especially if its not cooled well

these videos may be of some help -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv8rZYutGPI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_TNqxoxaZE

good luck

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 9:03 am
I don't think your machine is "too old", I use a 2010 13" MBP and I rarely have issues with video. I have noticed something since Ive started using V8 If I open V8 and it takes an unusually long time to start it almost guaranteed I'm going to have a crash. I can't explain why but the 5 0r 6 times I've had a crash that's was the common denominator. Now what I do, if V8 takes longer than usual to open, I reboot my laptop, and start over, I have not had a crash or freeze since I've been doing this.

Maybe it helps maybe it doesn't...

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 11:08 am
seems very similar to the crashes I was experiencing, after several nights with the same thing, traced it to either the cooling or the MC6000 skin. The last gig I did (10 hours video), all was well, I repositioned the cooling tray so the fan was right underneath the laptop inlet and ran the base VDJ 7 2 deck skin.
I have posted the finds in the Bug report forum

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 11:31 am
Cant blame the age as i'm still using 2nd generation Vista laptop with vids. The laptop is 2004. The only serious problem is battery life 5-10 minutes so it stays plugged in. I agree with possible dust bunnies built a nest in the motherboard. I have to clean mine as well. Good luck with it...

Ive been looking at new laptops but its hard to let go of this ole girl. We've traveled so many miles.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 1:28 pm
I have been tinkering today. I had the Macs fan Control set to increase the fans from 60C -70C. On watching the temperature just sitting on the desktop with no programs running it was averaging around 52C. I've changed the settings and am testing it now with 50C - 60C. I've thrown a bunch of videos at the Automix, connected up an external monitor for the video output and currently the fans are flat out at 6,000 revs and the temperature is at 62C. The back corner of the laptop next to the power supply is quite cold, not even warm. Usually at a gig running video it's scorching hot to the touch.

Next I'll connect the MC6000 and see if that makes any difference. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the back of the laptop to check if the fans need cleaning out. My next video gig is Easter Sunday where I was last night, hopefully, it will be sorted by then.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 4:58 pm
OK, had my system running all night and is still going 11 hours later. Got everything connected and video output to an external monitor with the same setup as Saturday night i.e. using Telly Visuals plugin, moving video logo from the VDJ8 sampler. Loads of videos in Automix running and the back corner of the laptop is barely luke warm, nothing like the temperatures I've experienced at video gigs.

The only thing different is not manually loading and playing tracks and lowering the Mac Fans Control operating temperature. Current temperature after running all night is reading 63C and fans running flat out at 6,000 revs.

Posted Mon 09 Mar 15 @ 6:04 am
Age can play a factor, depending on whether the laptop has been in a dusty or lint-filled environment.

Even if not, dust and lint accumulate inside of the laptop over time; which will reduce the effectiveness of its cooling.

Posted Mon 09 Mar 15 @ 8:56 am
Yep, thanks, no offence but, I'm well aware of this after using computers to DJ with since 1998. :-)

Posted Mon 09 Mar 15 @ 7:37 pm
Was back at my old residency 2 weeks ago and had this problem again, still don't have an answer.

Yes I've had the back off, all fans are clean, no dirt or dust anywhere.

At home running video, and using an external screen connected, the back corner of my laptop barely gets luke warm. I've tested and tested and tested, still luke warm.

At my former residency, using the same output (MiniDisplay Adapter to VGA to PCtoTV Convertor. I connect into the club's matrix distribution system http://www.databay.uk.com/products/coAxialSignalDist/vams0808.htm with a composite cable which in turn distributes to 6 flat screens and a projector. The back corner of the laptop, next to the video output, gets extremely hot. So hot you can barely keep your fingers on it for a few seconds. Why??? This, I believe, was the source of a number of mystery crashes when I worked at my former residency.

I now work in an Hotel mainly doing weddings. I don't use video, although, I'm still playing the sound from them. I've done over 80 gigs at the Hotel and not a single crash or heat issue.

I'm puzzled.......... anybody have a clue???
As I'm not normally doing video, it's not a big deal now, but would still like to know the answer.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 3:52 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I wonder if there is something up with the video conne tion or power at the venue.

An interesting test might be to do a gig there with video active but not actually connected.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 4:21 am
The last few times I've been there I noticed some buzzing feedback once I connected the composite cable to the Vams 0808. It sounded like a grounding issue. Would that cause excessive heat at my laptop output?

BTW Mid 2010 MBP 15" i7 bootcamped with Windows 7 and using the PC version of the latest VDJ8 Public build. External USB 1Tb HD, original Denon MC6000.

Dunno if I'll ever get there again as I've only got one Friday free from now til mid October. When I was there 2 weeks ago the staff were talking about someone else taking over the pub/nightclub and thinking of closing the nightclub side of it altogether. Shame, I had a good living for 8 years working there 3 nights per week.

Oh BTW Scott, further up this thread, I mentioned that after the crash I disconnected all video output for the rest of the night and the temperature dropped dramatically. So, it seems there is something fishy with their video system.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 4:41 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
This weekend I had some problems too.
When I searched for audio and videos (not karaoke), the program slowed down and it took about a minute to get the results.
when it was in the search mode I couldnt do anything (played mostly videos at the gig), only the mapp in the browser that I was in was available.
I did not check the heat but have never had any problems before.
Using AsusG55

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 6:22 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I suspect poor video connections to the machine, also as a routine procedure I'd have the CPU out, and replace the heat sink compound.
It can become dry, brittle, and ineffective.
The video chips on high spec machines do burn out quite often.
I've seen lots, but not one burn out on a basic work horse.
Odd.

PS I don't do video.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 3:11 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hm..I suppose their system could be acting like a short circuit, and drawing too much power from the video circuit.
Where's Mr Jackson?
Is this something like speakers where the more you add ( depending on the method of connection ) increases the amp load?
It could be important.

Posted Wed 03 Jun 15 @ 5:30 pm
An interesting test would be to use a transmitter/receiver to break the hardwire connection. Then see if the laptop generates the same heat. I could test this at home but don't have the equipment and, as I don't gig with video anymore, it's low on my priorities.

Posted Sun 07 Jun 15 @ 2:20 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
When I play today all is fine...this was an one time thing for me.

Posted Tue 09 Jun 15 @ 1:28 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
bigron1 wrote :

The video chips on high spec machines do burn out quite often.
I've seen lots, but not one burn out on a basic work horse.

True, but then again, basic workhorses don't have a separate video chip (GPU.)
Also, I doubt that the onsite video equipment is drawing to much current because an impedance mismatch would generally cause a flaky video connection (i.e. dropouts, no external monitor seen by OS) long before it would cause overheating. Good suggestion though.
Perhaps the video resolution is much higher now than in the past? (i.e. 1080p vs 480i) and that is causing the computer to work harder? You may be able to manually force a lower resolution on that output device and see if that helps. Assuming lower res is preferable to disabling video altogether.

Posted Tue 09 Jun 15 @ 3:26 pm
I have been trying to get ahold of anyone at VDJ and all I get is a recording or leave a ticket that you have to wait for the next day! Anyone have any numbers????? Maybe they are all on vacation?? I have a business to run and do not have time to play phone games!

Posted Wed 10 Jun 15 @ 9:22 am
First, you have to leave a ticket, like everyone else, and they will get back to you, in the order that you left your ticket. Second, you can state what you problem is here, and maybe one of our members can help you. Someone is here 24 hours a day, and you are likely to get a response very quickly. Third, what type of business are you referring to, as a home user, you are not allowed to make money with your version. Fourth, I can't tell you how to speak on these forums, but typically I speak to people the way they speak to me, or not at all. So, what is the issue you are having?

Posted Wed 10 Jun 15 @ 11:58 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)