Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: UI freeze when loading a song,

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ScowieHome userMember since 2020
Hi The VDJ UI freezesfor several seconds when loading a song ( MP3), The currently playing song sound is unaffected, but you are never sure what is happening.
I have looked at all the settings and have done all the stuff in the FAQs anyone else seen this problem. The Hard disk (internal) is set not to sleep).
Ian

Posted Thu 14 Aug 14 @ 2:14 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Can you say for sure, that the hdd don't falls asleep?

I only get this behaviour if the hdd takes a nap.

Posted Fri 15 Aug 14 @ 6:55 am
I do experience this also.
Still using VDJ 7.4.1.
The computer I use is a Mac air with a ssd drive, so it can't go to sleep because there is nothing to wake to...

When selecting the song, the UI stops (totally freezes), and afer 2 or 3 secons, the song starts to load and the UI is back to normal behaviour.
The song that is currently playing does not stop or is afected in any way.. But you always get a punch in the stomach when that happens.

You can't help but wonder if the computer has frozen and will need to reboot or if it is all ok..

Zorza

Posted Fri 15 Aug 14 @ 8:47 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Ah now I know what you are talking about... and I must admit, I get that too.
Always thought it is maybe because my hdd goes to sleep. But thinking of it, it happens more often than it should.

2nd, I mainly play videos so I thought it's maybe because of the larger data size.

Yes, yes, you are right.
Draging a track from the browser to a deck, drop it and it freezes for 2 - 3 seconds, then it's starting to load the song.

Will try to reproduce that.

Posted Fri 15 Aug 14 @ 9:48 am
abd31PRO InfinityMember since 2012
So the problem i have been having is that I can load a few songs, maybe even up to an hour of normal functioning. At some point however, I can no longer load new songs. I will have a perfectly fine track playing on one deck, and then when i try to load the other side, nothing will load. the currently playing track is unaffected. On the deck with the new song, the text changes to the name of the song i am trying to load, but the waveform never loads, so I can't play anything. It doesnt matter what song I am loading, I can make the text change to any song, but i never actually get the audio file. The only way i can get it to work is to restart the software, or even the laptop in some cases.

It happened 5 times at a gig i had, and i looked like a total ass hole. I NEED THIS TO BE FIXED@!

Mac pro
vdj 8
vms4.1

Posted Sat 06 Sep 14 @ 12:17 am
You have already posted this message in another thread.

Please do not post duplicate messages.

Also please refrain from using bad language on the forum.

Forum Rules

Posted Sat 06 Sep 14 @ 7:06 am
Geting back on track with this small UI freeze and I think I DISCOVERED IT!

It only happens when you have a poor internet connection!

Even if you have refreshed the cache for all files prior to the gig, when you load the song, virtualdj uses the internet to do a new refresh of the authorizations.
If you don't have internet, the song is checked on the hdd cached information wich is very quick.
But, if you have a slow internet connection, it will freeze the system (only the visuals on the screen, not the audio playing) for 2-3 seconds...

I don't get it at home as I have a good wireless. And if yo don't connect online, it dosen't happen also..
Hope it helps..

Zorza

Posted Mon 08 Sep 14 @ 1:14 pm
Hi I wondered if it was the internet thing, but when I am out from home I have usually no internet connection so it shouldn't check, or does the lack of a connection mean it will try before it realises?,

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 4:13 pm
I'm still suspicious that its the disk waking up.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 4:14 pm
Then set your drive to never go to sleep.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 1:21 pm
vogmanPRO InfinityMember since 2013
On mine, VD8 freezes when I try to load another track like deck 2 and I would have to force close the program then restart it. As you can imagine, it's a nightmare for any DJ. I have a new Mac OS 10.9.5 with 4GB of ram Intel Core i5. Funny thing is, I can download the song, but it will not load to any deck once it freezes and it's a real scary thing when you're djing. Anyone experiencing the same issue? My console I run a Numark N4.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 5:32 am
PachN
Thats very interesting, i've also experienced that and i recall many weeks ago setting my HDD to sleep after 10 mins.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 11:40 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I've got one of the slowest laptops of the DJ's here.
A Win7 Pro 64bit. Intel dual core 2.4gh 5gb memory , and a 1000gb traditional hdd.
I've just loaded a song, and whilst it was loading started the other deck playing.
No problem.

Something is abusing your computers resources.

When you buy a new laptop lots of bloatware is pre-installed by the manufacturer.
Get rid of this rubbish by uninstalling it from the Windows programs list.
Better still do a fresh install with a clean Microsoft download such as I used for Win7 Pro 64bit.
Just get the drivers from your manufacturer.
Only use the free Microsoft antivirus program, and firewall.
These programs are very light on systems resources.
Have a careful look at your firewall settings, these might be compromised, and let all sorts of traffic pass.
Don't give any inbound traffic permission to enter of its own accord, even Windows updates.
Disable remote assistance.
Optimise your computer in accordance with the VirtualDJ wiki http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Common%20PC%20Performance%20Issues.html
There is also a guide for the Mac.
Do not use your laptop to browse the internet, other than to visit the VDJ website.

In the Windows Device Manager disable the hardware you don't need, for instance modems, and Fast internet NIC, along with maybe the APCI battery control.
However do not disable the onboard sound card as it is important to set this as your default sound device.

Many of the computer services run by Microsoft are a disadvantage to the DJ.

A VirtualDJ PC Optimizer is available in the Addons section of the VDJ website.
It's a quick fix for Vista, and Win7.

Generally study computer optimization using Google.
You will make mistakes, but you will learn.

Posted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 2:09 pm
vogmanPRO InfinityMember since 2013
vogman wrote :
On mine, VD8 freezes when I try to load another track like deck 2 and I would have to force close the program then restart it. As you can imagine, it's a nightmare for any DJ. I have a new Mac OS 10.9.5 with 4GB of ram Intel Core i5. Funny thing is, I can download the song, but it will not load to any deck once it freezes and it's a real scary thing when you're djing. Anyone experiencing the same issue? My console I run a Numark N4.

I actually had to downgrade to version 7 which works a lot better than version 8. My UI doesn't freeze anymore when loading songs but I really miss version 8 especially with all the new FX features and nicer GUI. I tried to look for fixes on VDJ forums etc but nothing solid yet. Please fix this!

Posted Sun 06 Sep 15 @ 9:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)