Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Virtual DJ 8 - Login and License - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

The idea behind the "support" license is only for machines that never go on line.

Basically all support send you is the same file that is auto generated when VDJ goes on line.
So in the same way if you have a "support" license this will be overwritten if that machine goes online.

The fact that you go online for OSX patches means you could go online and generate your own license.
That's why your ticket has been closed because you do not need a "support" license.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 10:06 am
So as long as we've got a copy of that file backed up somewhere on the computer (or on a flash drive etc.) if we were to find ourselves logged out when at a remote location, we could simply pop it into the directory and start VDJ 8. The file is different for each computer though, I believe.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 10:20 am
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
Regardless, it's still a poor solution.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 11:16 am
groovindj wrote :
So as long as we've got a copy of that file backed up somewhere on the computer (or on a flash drive etc.) if we were to find ourselves logged out when at a remote location, we could simply pop it into the directory and start VDJ 8. The file is different for each computer though, I believe.

Yes, the file is different for every computer and you can keep that file handy. However, keep in mind that the settings are also in that file, so if you change anything and then drop the file back in, settings could essentially revert. (IMO the license file should be different from the settings, however that's just me.)

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 11:21 am
It is different.

Settings.xml
License.dat

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 11:26 am
Eh? It's the license.dat file, not the settings.xml file.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 11:27 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
rlove wrote :
Regardless, it's still a poor solution.

If your machine can go online to download OS X patches, then it can go online to activate. Once activated it won't deactivate unless you log in elsewhere and then allow the previously activated machine to go online. Since your machine doesn't go online with VDJ (only to download OS X patches) then it's not as issue is it?

The 'offline' license file that you get sent is exactly the same as the online generated one - and it will automatically deactivate under exactly the same circumstances too since an offline license is for a machine that never goes online.

If our system required you to log out before it would let you log in elsewhere (or to contact us to manually do so for you) then I agree that would be a bit of a pain. It is however far more flexible than that.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 2:02 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
But you can still get logged out if you login on a backup machine then dont have an internet connection to log back in on the gig machine......

Gig machine is offline, you boot up backup machine and log in. You later go to gig without internet connection and boot up your gig machine.

If your gig machine is offline that entire time then why would it be logged out? The only way it could be logged out is if it talks to the internet - and if it can do that then you can log back in ;)

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 2:10 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Is this license a bit like Windows, however you are allowed two laptops. Once the two become obsolete or broken do you then need to purchase vdj again?

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 6:57 pm
Absolutely not :)

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 7:10 pm
groovindj wrote :
Eh? It's the license.dat file, not the settings.xml file.

My fault... The settings.xml file is what they create the license.dat file from...

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 8:41 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
or just login, and it creates it again ;)

(but sure if the vdj was logged out, and you cant log in due to no net, a backup file would work)
But one shouldn't log out in the first place, from your dj pc, just let it vdj be logged in, regardless if your net disconnects or not ...

(you said accidentally though, but its quite hard to do by accident.. but yeah, would work your backup way true)

Trouble is if you using to laptops at a gig and given that we are allowed to still have two copies of VDJ running, you can't have he two logged in at the same time.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 11:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes you can, log in the first, then log in the second.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 3:12 am
I have not yet installed VDJ8 because I'm still confused about the login feature. Tech support (or anyone who knows), please advise me which course to take...

I have only ONE machine (a PC with Windows 7) for live gigs, but as a safety precaution I installed TWO system disks (SSDs), one a clone from the other, that are NEVER functional at the SAME time. I have made a switch to be able to choose with which disk I want to boot. This is in case one disk gives up on me while playing live, so that a quick reboot with the other disk will allow me to continue to work.

My fear is, that VDJ will notice the change of disk and will assume it is another (backup) unit and will require a login. Problem is, my machine has no NIC card, so no LAN and Internet connection is physically possible (this is by design: to avoid virus problems and avoid having to install an AV software. Only VDJ is installed on my PC.).

So my question is: will this be a problem?

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 6:02 am
If the machine can't be connected, then all you need is the license file (from support). Once that's in place, VDJ will start up without asking for a login.

Whether you'll need a second file for the other drive I don't know. As it's a clone drive using the exact same machine, it may not be an issue.

The thing to remember is not to press the log out button, because that erases the file. I think there should be a config setting to hide the button.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 6:20 am
Thanks for the info! So, the only thing that remains is for someone from Atomix to confirm or deny that VDJ recognizes different harddisks as different machines... right?

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 6:30 am
jbezzPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I have a question. I am not opposed to this new login procedure. My question is for people who chose to get a "support" license because the never go online. I was wondering how they get updates (new builds) delivered to their computers? Just curious!

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 10:29 am
You'd need to download those manually on another PC, and then move them to the machine via USB key, etc.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 10:37 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Recording studios do it this way all over the world, No internet connections ever..

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 12:01 pm
CMBDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Adion wrote :
CMBDJ wrote :
When you open your software, it should work 100% for you. Keeping up with logins or logouts is silly.

There is only one thing to remember: Log in when it asks you to.
Nothing else to keep up with or keep track of required.

Because I alternate my 2 machines, and access them several times a week before the weekend, this method is a problem. I will always have to remember before a gig which machine needs to be logged in. And I don't have time for that. I will end up at a venue that has no internet, and not be able to use my gear.
If my main machine goes down at a gig where no wifi is available, and my backup is logged out, I will have no way of getting it functional in the case of an emergency.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 3:47 pm
37%