Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can you anybody help I am trying to record my mix with this machine with full VDJ pro, and when recording i have both sides picked up when fading from one side to the other, I have tried using third party software (audacity) using the booth, RCA to mic but i dont think the quality of the recoding is great, Can anybody help!
Thanks

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 6:38 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Which Hardware unit (USB Midi controller) do you use ?
If your controller offers an analogue dj mixer, then i am afraid recording with a 3rd party application is the only way to accomplish that with a computer.
Have in mind that recording using the MIC input of a computer is definitely not the best choice. Line Input is preferred. If yoru computer doesnt offer a Line Input, you may use another USB sound card which offers that.

Alternatively there are other digital ways to record your mixes. Search for Digital recorders (devices)

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 6:46 am
Im using the American Audio VMS2
Could you please give me more advice then on how to record better or any devices you could recommend
Thanks

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 6:53 am
From another post asking the same thing:

Advanced Config (VDJ Pro)

deck 1----VMS sound card-----output 1&2
deck 2----VMS sound card-----output 3&4
Record loopback------computer sound card-----input 1&2

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 6:59 am
What is record loop back? is that a setting in the advanced configuration?

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 7:03 am
ok tried that and i keep getting this error - Error in the sound driver (DirectX/WDM): your soundcard is probably not connected, or the setting are incorrect.
Help! haha! any ideas?

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 7:13 am
You should not be using the standard Windows WDM driver!

You need to install the ASIO driver that came supplied with the VMS2, as detailed in the operating instructions.

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 7:27 am
Im totally lost with all of this! haha!
ok ill install the sound drivers that i got with the unit and the disk, but im sure thats what i do have installed anyway?

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 7:32 am
ok ive reinstalled the drivers from the cd i got with the unit, and its the same, nothing is being recorded just silence :s

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 7:41 am
As above, you have a few ways to record using the VMS2.

1. Using a 3rd party application.
You need to connect the Booth Output of your VMs2 with a LineInput of a sound card and use another application (e.g. audacity) to record yoru mix.
In this case, make sure the VMS2 is not selected as default Playback and Recording device for your Windows.
Line In is much much preferable then a Mic Input.
The Sound Setup of VirtualDJ should be .. Inputs->None, Outputs->External Mixer, Sound card-ASIO and next to that choose the AA VMS2 ASIO

2. Using VirtualDJ to record your Booth Output.
Again, you need to connect the Booth Output of your VMS2 with a Line Input of another sound card.
In this case, you need to create an Advanced Sound Setup in VirtualDJ as ..
Deck 1.. AA ASIO ..outs 1,2
Deck 2.. AA ASIO ..outs 3,4
Record LoopBack.. The name of the other sound card you use... Inputs 1,2

3. Connect the Booth Output with a hardware recording digital device
In that case, the Sound setup needs to be as case 1 , and no software is required to record (its hardware recording)

4. Some have used the Internal Input of the VMS2/VMS4. It works in a way, but several users have reported errors and distortion in the past, so this way is not highly recommended.. http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/176244/Hardware_Technical_Support/American_Audio_VMS4_1_-_lessons_learned_getting_this_working__issues_still_outstanding__and_hopefully_some_help_for_other_users.html

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 7:50 am
All i have on my laptop is mic in and headphones, does this mean i cant use method 2?

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 8:04 am
You can, but the results will not be the best.

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 8:07 am
ok well would a usb sound card with a line in be better?

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 8:10 am

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 8:58 am
Yes, that one would be fine

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 9:18 am
So just to be sure and got it right, with that i would go from the booth on the mixer to the input on the u-control and record in audacity?

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 9:28 am
Yes, Booth -->Input of the USB sound card.

After that you can choose to record with audacity or VirtualDJ of course (with RecordLoopback in the Sound setup)

The difference from what you ve tried so far, is that you will have much better recording results as you will use a proper Line Input instead of Mic input.

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 1:09 pm
Thank you so much :)

Posted Wed 16 Oct 13 @ 1:37 pm
fjnuezPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Buenas, Sres. tengo la vms4 en un laptop con WIN 8.1 y después de instalar todo, cuando abro el VDJ 7 me da el siguiente: Error in the sound driver (directx/wdm) your soundcard is probably not connected, si alguien sabe o me puede orientar se los agradezco. Saludos.

Posted Sun 26 Oct 14 @ 3:12 pm
Sorry, this forum is for English language messages only.

Please either post your message again in English or use the appropriate language forum (Where available) to post in your own language.

These other language forums can be found at the bottom of the main forum topic list.

Posted Mon 27 Oct 14 @ 6:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)