Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Promo Only POOL Cloud Services

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Greetings,

I'm thinking of moving away from Promo Only DVDs and jumping into their "POOL" (Promo Only On Line) services. Converting DVD files from VOB to MP4 is certainly a pain in the butt.

I like the idea of having a DVD in my possession. It's something tangible. These I archive for possible sale in the future. But I have a case full now and this CLOUD idea is interesting.

I've played with their POOL application and it works fine. Preview is good and downloads are controllable.

Things have gotten weird with converting my DVDs to MP4. I use "DJ Extractor" to pull VOBs from the DVD. Then I use "Handbrake" to convert to MP4. The problem is I get varying resolutions.

Videos that display tags properly are converting to 720x496. Bad ones that chop off tags are converting to 720x352. The 720 is always the same. It's the secondary resolution that comes in not only at 352, but an assortment of others.

I don't know how to make them all 720x496. It seems the problem is because the VOB resolutions are not consistent from Promo Only.

Promo Only's POOL videos seem consistent at 640x360 and 720x480. They always display properly.

So my conversion from VOB to MP4 has issues. And adding to that problem is DJ Extractor messes up artist and title names when there is a "ft" or "()" involved.

My conclusion is by moving to POOL I'll be missing professionally made DVDs that can be collected. It's too expensive buy both DVDs and POOL services. POOL makes it easier with their MP4s. But I lose the "lossless" version of the music by not having the DVD.

It's a tough choice. Anyone here use POOL? Anyone have feedback on their service? I currently subscribe to "Club Video" and "Hot Video".

Thanks,

Jimmy

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 4:09 am
the truth is Having a hard copy is great as I own more then most citys. Negitive is where to store it all. The pools I have been in for ever is zipdj. I dont want to play anything that I dont have liccence to keep. the idea of streaming is intresting but also opens doors to tracks that I would never have as I cant own it all. I actually hate the idea of streaming as any click to play dj is getting the same tunes that I spent almost 50 000 on ... not kidding... I have spent years to catalog and build a shed at the lake to hold the vinal. so the new generation of instant videos is changing my look at it as it is cool but im not into playing sets of MM video dance . The art of being part of something greater is comming to the end. record pool is dead as its now a lake with everything in it..

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 4:18 am
I use Pool and I love it ya i dont get the CD but i just save is all to a backup drive is it saves on space and i dont have to load CD once i click on the download link just walk away or keep working. I was worried about how fast it would be and how safe it would be but its great it is well worth it.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 7:21 am
First of all I'm in the UK.

I have had a subscription with Promo Only Uk/Europe for 5 years. When they introduced their Secure Digital Downloads in 2009 I subscribed immediately to their Chart Video Express. I also have the DVD delivered every month to keep as a backup. I figured if it was up to me to burn a backup, how long before I would start forgetting, short of blanks, etc., etc. Also, it means I have a legit physical DVD to show PRS, PPL, or any other authority that asks.

P.S. I'm demonstrating on the Promo Only UK/Europe stand B31 at the BPM Show at the NEC, Birmingham next Monday 8th October.

Visit Stand B31 at The BPM Show!

JimmyL-DJ wrote :
"My conclusion is by moving to POOL I'll be missing professionally made DVDs that can be collected. It's too expensive buy both DVDs and POOL services. POOL makes it easier with their MP4s. But I lose the "lossless" version of the music by not having the DVD."

Ring them up and ask. The DVD in the UK is £40, the download service is £40, but, I have both at a price of only £50.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 7:40 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
Greetings,

Converting DVD files from VOB to MP4 is certainly a pain in the butt.
I like the idea of having a DVD in my possession. It's something tangible.
Things have gotten weird with converting my DVDs to MP4.
And adding to that problem is DJ Extractor messes up artist and title names when there is a "ft" or "()" involved.
My conclusion is by moving to POOL I'll be missing professionally made DVDs that can be collected...POOL makes it easier with their MP4s. But I lose the "lossless" version of the music by not having the DVD.

Jimmy,

Just so you know, Promo Only has what they call "Video DFF" service where they send you the MP4's on a DVD-ROM in the official sleeve with tracklisting, etc just like the DVD's. This way there is no 'ripping.' Just copy the files to your HDD and you're set. It is much quicker than ripping, and they files are all tagged and ready to go. I was using this option before I found out about POOL. I use POOL now and do kinda miss getting a tangible DVD, but figured that if I really need to DVD, I can just burn the MP4's to a DVD-R. Haven't had the need yet though.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking that DVD is lossless. In fact MP4 video is just as good, or better than DVD's MPEG2, but with better compression and better support nowadays. The audio on the DVD's is uncompressed CD quality (44.1 kHz PCM audio) which technically is better compared to MP4's AAC compression, but I doubt the difference is noticeable.

Also, When I do rip DVD's I use Serato's HandBrake preset called "Video-SL" and it works out great for ripping music videos to MP4.
You can get it here: http://serato.com/video-sl/support/1937/mac-converting-a-dvd-or-vob-file-using-handbrake

Anyway, POOL is nice, but if you really want the best of both worlds, look into PromoOnly's Video DFF service.

Good Luck,
-Frd

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 12:00 pm
Thanks guys for the feedback. Right now I'm pretty frustrated with the choices.

I didn't like DFF. I tried a copy of that. I'm trying to remember what it was I didn't like. I think it was how they labeled the jacket. The Artist/Title were reversed. And I like it Artist/Title. Just a little quirk.

Tonight I did more experimentation with Handbrake. When I rip the DVD with DJ Extractor all the VOBs are at 720x480. That's good.

I downloaded the "Video-SL-Preset" Preset. But even with that the output seems to do it's own thing. I select the "KEEP ASPECT RATIO" but the output MP4 files come out as 720 width on all the videos, but the height varies.

I can't find an option to keep all the output files the same as the VOB at 720x480. And I'm not sure if that is possible.

All the POOL MP4s are 640x360. I don't see a way in Handbrake to keep this output size. So I might have to throw in the towel.

Yesterday I talked with Glen at POOL Sales in Florida. He answered a lot of questions. I was a little disappointed in a couple of things.

One is they only archive back to 2011. I was hoping to go way back past 2006 when I started Promo Only to bulk download, and rebuild all my MP4 files replacing current VOBs and screwed up MP4s.

And at this point in time there is no access to their speciality videos like Halloween and Christmas. They are focusing on the new stuff coming out next instead of any archives before 2011.

I would love to have access to everything I paid for on DVD. It would then be easy to rebuild a huge amount of videos.

Then another zinger, there is no credit for all the months of DVDs I earned by paying a year ahead for all those years. Glen said we might be able to negotiate. These extra months added up to $175.00 and I would hate to lose that much money.

The HD videos will be nice. I hope I can see the quality difference on my setup.

And I will have access to my videos from the web, but there is no web based streaming service. You have to download their POOL application to see and download the videos.

And If I stop subscribing I lose all my web based music. I get to keep what I download only.

I guess it's might be time to CLOUD. Now if we can just work out some kind of decent deal.

Thanks again,

Jimmy

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 5:07 am
one VERY important thing about those DVD's... you can not legally resell them. see your contract with PO.

we've talked on and off about the POOL and have so far decided against it but are keeping an open mind for the future. might have to show this thread to the boss and see about it. only problem is that we have to guy for three (sometimes 4) clubs and it gets expensive.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 7:26 am
Jimmy - Like you I have been collecting videos for years from vairous vendors. Although it take a little bit more space I have ripped all the dvd into vob format. I feel vob and better than mp4. Virtual dj plays these files with no problem. Also I think Screenplay - VJ Pro is a better solution thant Promo Only. The also now include smashvision. (use to be Samsh VidZ). All downloads are in MP4 formant. So you don't have to convert them. They also have different plans which iis cheaper in the long run vs PO.
Hope this helps. -

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 1:20 pm
Thanks guys. Yeah, I have a garage full of vinyl "promotional only" discs in boxes and boxes and boxes. I was with Pocono Pool out of Philadelphia, and then SPINS in central PA. The vinyl just kept piling up.

I had a "picker" come in and go through them. Funny... he was from New York and pulled out some really off-the-wall stuff. He didn't want any of the music I played to the public. And after he took his fill, you couldn't even tell they were gone.

I didn't sell them, but he did make a contribution to my laser fund. Win-win !!!

The VJ Pro service looks a little expensive. Their packages count and limit your downloads. The premium package prices out @ $.99 per track. Then there is the monthly fee. The whole deal confuses me a bit.

I'll figure it out. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jimmy

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 2:42 am
Jimmy
Even with the monthly base fee of $20.oo It still is not a bad deal. Also there is an option to pay the base fee for the year for $120.
The packages that I use is the 500 credits for $249. This breaks down to .65 cents per track. Which is not a bad deal because you can pick tracks from the entire inventory. They offer all the tracks that PO has to offer and more.

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 7:57 am
PLUS with VJ Pro you can also get clean, dirty, etc. all for the same 1 credit.

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 5:57 pm
What up Jimmy? Next week, VJ Pro will release version 2.0, with some great enhancements. I love it.

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 8:16 pm
Thanks, I've been getting and reviewing the VJ-PRO release e-mails. I see the different mix breakdowns. It might be a matter of cost math at this point.

I paid Promo Only ahead a year at the 2012 AC DJ Expo. They'll give me a $580 credit to move to POOL starting in October. And like I mentioned above if I do move to POOL it wipes out $175 in DVD pay ahead months that I've acquired over the years.

But they seem willing to negotiate. I'll re-start the decision process after the weekend. I really appreciate the advice.

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 8:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)