Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Toshiba Laptops

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm just wondering if anyone is using Toshiba Satellite laptops

I currently run VDJ 7 with video and sometimes OTSAV

I am considering a P500-BT2G23 with an upgrade to 8gb Ram and an additional hard drive.

Here are the basic specs of the laptop I am considering.

■Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor
■Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
■4GB DDR3 memory
■640GB hard drive
■1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® graphics
■DVD SuperMulti Drive
■1680x945 native screen resolution
■Bluetooth®
■LED backlit keyboard
■Integrated webcam
■harman/kardon® speakers
■High-capacity 12-cell battery

I almost went Macbook Pro, as I know they are solid. However VDJ and OTSAV are more versitle on a PC platform and the Toshiba offers may more features for the price.

Dollar for dollar, Toshiba has more features, but is it solid???

I would really like a stable PC, that would be comparitible to a Macbook.

Posted Tue 04 Jan 11 @ 3:07 pm
I have a Toshiba P200-1JV, it's old but I would say all round it's pretty solid.

IMO (having both a Toshiba and various apple computers), it doesn't touch on the build quality or the looks (not what is important obviously).

Anyways, I have had my toshiba for 3 or so years now and it has never let me down. 2 members in my family have toshiba laptops too and despite the occational need of cleaning and getting the dust and crap out of the fan I have to say out of the 3 I cant fault them, especially for the price.

Hope this helps!

Si

Posted Wed 05 Jan 11 @ 5:48 pm
They are a good brand it really matters whats inside for the price u are paying look at dell

Posted Wed 05 Jan 11 @ 6:11 pm
Also look into the Dateway I use the gateway NV53
AMD Athion ™II x2 M300
500GB
4 GB Memory

Posted Thu 06 Jan 11 @ 2:37 am
Macbook Pro 17" bootcamped with XP SP3 is the best laptop I've ever had (and there's been quite a few!).

You have the MacOS side AND which ever Windows version you want or you can run them on top of each other with Parallels if you wish.

The 1920x1200 screen is gorgeous and the build quality is outstanding. I nearly went Sony / Toshiba but the extra money paid for the Macbook was worth every penny. Another thing to bear in mind is that Toshiba lappies have a habit of overheating as the fan/cooling assemblies in them are not great. If you're working in a hot venue for long periods this could be an issue.

Also, the 1680x945 resolution means you won't have much browser space as it's really long and thin and I don't know of any skins that go near that size at all.

Keith

Posted Thu 06 Jan 11 @ 6:38 am
I have a older Toshiba Satellite Runs Vids Perfect have had it and using it now for 2yrs

Intel Duel Core 2.4Gh
3GB of Ram
onboard Video card

No problems since....

Posted Thu 06 Jan 11 @ 12:01 pm
Upon researching, I have come up with two more models I would like opinions on

1st one is an Asus G73JH-BST
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...=1218243761956

Though I am not crazy about purchasing from Best Buy, this model is upgradeable to 8GB ram and can hold an additional Hard Drive
$1149

2nd Choice

Toshiba Satellite A660D-ST2G02
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=490984

AMD Phenom II Quad-Core, 4GB Ram (Upgradeable to 8GB) No Additional HD slot
$849

Anyone familiar with these models?

Posted Sun 09 Jan 11 @ 7:37 am

Posted Sun 09 Jan 11 @ 7:54 am
I owna Toshiba Satellite Core i7 with windows 7 64 bits. I was running Virtual Vinyl wit hthe external card controlled by Pioner CDJ800.
With other programs I feel the power, if I have to run power points and other applications simultenously there is no problem, but Virtual Vinyll and I am sure Virtual DJ (Same Software) really do not take advantage of the extra processor, the audio is poor and the video quality is the same andwith the external cards the songs skip.
I went back to my MacBook running XP and the difference is huge.
I am sure the difference is the software is not designed
for Windows 64 bits and there is were the problem is.

Posted Sun 09 Jan 11 @ 8:35 am
i have a toshiba cb30 chromebook laptop can virtual dj be down loaded on this laptop

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 2:57 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Not if it has the standard Chromebook OS, VDJ is Mac or Windows only.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 3:13 am
Have an old Toshiba Satelite M40 X GR 112 Notebook with Intel Pentium M Prozessor 1,6 GHz, 798Mhz 1,5GB Ram
and Win XP Sp3 and it run with VDJ 7 and VDJ 8 .
Not the fastest but it works.

have buyed in last Year second hand for 70,-€

greetings,Dirk

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 9:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)