Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: WHY IS THERE NO .WAV SUPPORT!?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey there,

I've been playing around with this for some time now, I rip my vinyls to .wav using fruity loops and a maya 44usb soundcard. I am trying to get the best sound quality possible, so far I am using 32bit wav float as the encoder setting. I cannot get anything above 16bit to work on vdj. My 32bit rip of J Dilla Donuts will not run, nothing I put into .wav will run unless it is 16bit or under and 16bit sounds terrible compared to vinyl.

Could anyone tell me what settings to use to get the best possible rip from a vinyl (without losing the vinyl warmth sound), and can someone PLEASE shed some light on when we can use some high quality .wav files on vdj

thanks in advance

Posted Sun 22 Aug 10 @ 12:29 am
wow.... great response time. I've submitted a ticket and ask a question on the forum, still no answers. Must save your customer support isn't much of a selling point. This program is amazing but its completely useless to anyone wanting to mix quality records. 16bit .wav files suck, mp3s are a disgrace. They butcher the sound, why oh why would there be no support for .wav files unless they're in lossy quality. I can make any song play in WMP but they won't play in VDJ with any codec (including the WMP one) I just don't understand how such a major point as sound quality could be left unattended this long.

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 9:07 pm
animalliberationfunk wrote :
wow.... great response time.

I cant speak for the rest, but when I first read your post I thought it was a joke or you were a troll..

Your using an uncompressed wave file and you think the sound is lousy????

95% of the human population are unable to tell the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and the original CD, and your saying a wave file sucks for sound quality..

VDJ was not built for audiophiles.. it was built for working DJ's.. DJ's who play music for people who in many cases wouldnt even know if we were playing in mono..
sad but true.. sorry..

maybe look at music production software, instead of music performance software..

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 10:48 pm
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think what's he's doing is changing the sample rate instead of the bit rate.
vdj will not play the 32bit 96khz file

Record your wave file at 44.1KHZ Wav or MP3 at a Good Bit Rate 320+ and it will sound great
You won't be able to tell the difference between 44.1 and 96 at that rate.

Thanks,

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 11:56 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
To be frank I think you're taking the mick slightly, 16-bit 44.1KHz WAV is more than adequate for 99.9% of DJs needs. After all it's CD quality and thats a reasonable benchmark for audio quality. Just like you were playing from an industry standard CDJ1000 for example.

If you *must* play files like that, you could try encoding the high quality WAV file to a high quality lossless FLAC file and using oggcodecs to play it back. One point worth noting is that VDJ downsamples to 44.1KHz anyway, so you might actually end up with your audio sounding worse as a result.

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 10:09 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
wow.... great response time. I've submitted a ticket and ask a question on the forum, still no answers. Must save your customer support isn't much of a selling point.

What is quite ironic ... is that nothing of what you asked in this thread is what you asked in your ticket.

You asked if RipVinyl could record in FLAC - which is self answering since you only get MP3 or WAV as options.

As for your other comments/questions ... I think you have gotten enough feedback above to enlighten you on your questions.

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 11:26 am
I do not get .wav as an option in Ripvinyl. As I stated I am trying to get a quality vinyl rip to play in vdj. I have records I wish to beat juggle, but I have only one copy, I figured there must be a high quality .wav or flac that could hold that quality, but all I can play on VDJ is 16 bit files. My ticket was asking about .wav support as I am still asking now. The thing that gets me is that my 32bit .wav files WOULD PLAY a few days ago, but then would randomly not work, no matter which codec I decode with, or what format I encode to, they won't play anymore. I just get the error message.

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 6:34 pm
I did however learn how to rip vinyls to .wav's on another program, I can choose to rip to 32bit, 24bit, and 16bit .wav files. However I am still not able to preserve the vinyl hum. Even If I get something good enough are you all saying there is nothing that I can do to get them playing.

thanks.

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 6:41 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The thing that gets me is that my 32bit .wav files WOULD PLAY a few days ago, but then would randomly not work

they won't play anymore. I just get the error message.

Ok ... so the files did play in VirtualDJ and now you get Error messages. So, there is not a problem with VirtualDJ, there seems to be a problem that has occurred with the files. So, did I read your last 2 posts correctly ??

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 7:24 pm
they are 32bit .wav files, and 24bit wav files, yes they played once, strangely enough since vdj doesn't seem to support anything above 16bit, why it worked earlier I don't know. nothing was ever altered (neither settings or the audio files), and this happened a few times, after the last time I never got them working again so i began researching this problem and came upon a few other posts on this site about how the .wav files won't play unless they are 16bit, another member was also asking about this because he only used 24bit music files and wanted them to play. Yea you read my posts correctly, but you all have yet to answer them.

So one more time if anyone cares and CAN HELP

I have ripped alot of music off my vinyl records into a few different formats (.wav/.flac - 32/24/16 bit - always ripped with 44.1khz) I am attempting to back up my real records to audio files so they can be preserved. I also want to beat juggle with many of them but I hold only 1 copy, So I wanted to know if
A) Anyone knows the best way to rip a record WITHOUT LOSING ANY SOUND AND KEEPING THE VINYL SOUND (THAT WARM SOUND)

&

B) Assuming this is successful and we can get a flawless rip, is there any way to get it playing in VDJ so i can beat juggle between my real copy of the vinyl record, and my lossless audio file copyy through a time coded vinyl, without being able to notice any loss in sound. I can notice, very easily in fact, the difference between the 32bit and the 16bit I needed to convert it to to get it to play in VDJ, the 32 bits play in WMP but not in VDJ even with the WMP codec being used. (Though they had played before, one day it just stopped and never worked again, they only had played a few times, and now its always the error message, unless they are 16bit in which case they always open and play just fine in VDJ)

I already figured out how to rip my vinyls using another program so disregard my ticket, but I still want to know the same thing I asked you guys 5 days ago. So guys, is there anything I can do to get better quality music files playing on VDJ

ps. NO THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH VDJ I SAID THAT IT "IS AN AMAZING PROGRAM, BUT THAT IT IS USELESS FOR MIXING QUALITY RECORDS" no need to take offense or anything but its not playing my audio files unless they are low quality rips. 16bit .wav has not worked for me as far as preserving the vinyl sound, it doesn't sound anything like it, it sounds cold and lossy like a "high quality" 320kbs mp3 rip. I understand this program is not made for "audiophiles" but I am not the only one who has asked for support on higher quality sound files. Will you guys ever implement 24bit support or 32bit support for .wavs? my 24bit flac also won't read when 16bit flacs will.........

Posted Wed 25 Aug 10 @ 10:46 am
If you want the ultimate in quality, perhaps you should consider upgrading that £70 USB soundcard from way back in 2003.

With it's -10dBV consumer grade unbalanced output, and toy like plastic construction, it must surely be contributing to your percieved loss of vinyl warmth.

What you monitoring on anyway? Quested or Logitech?

You won't be truely happy until you buy 2 copies of the vinyl. Do that.

Posted Fri 03 Sep 10 @ 9:37 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
@animalliberationfun: your consumer soundcard features 18-bit a/d and 20-bit, d/a
converters, so using storage format of 24 or more bits for anything recorded through
that has no improvement to quality whatsoever. It also provides -84.8dBA of residual
noise according to SoundOnSound article, meaning it provides enough noise by
itself to mask any signal within 16 bits of dynamic range. I'm also guessing there is
jitter which ruins the proper frequency response of the original signal.

Your 16 bit formats might sound "less warm" to you as the input was not properly
dithered and no oversampling was used, so there is quantization noise which ruins
the low level sounds. Also if you are using a lot of headroom when recording, and
have a low level input to the card, you are actually using a lot less bits (maybe
10-12).

Also, vinyls have the dynamic range of around 80dB, in best theoretical cases up to
120dB, which is rivaled by any properly mastered CD.

Regarding VDJ and support of 24 bit files, I fully agree that this should be implemented
for high resolution playback, and has been discussed numerous times on this board.
However, 16 bits is more than enough for proper quality playback as long as the source
was captured with quality converters, proper oversampling and dithering was applied
before creating the final format.

Regards,
e

Posted Sat 04 Sep 10 @ 5:45 am

A) Anyone knows the best way to rip a record WITHOUT LOSING ANY SOUND AND KEEPING THE VINYL SOUND (THAT WARM SOUND)

The difference between 16 bit wave and 32 bit, is how many LEVELS of volume is represented..

what may be happening is you are recording at too low a volume and then digitally maximizing the peak volume..
IE: your not really using all 16 bits, your increasing the noise floor and losing some of that "analog warmth"

you best bet is to record with a high end sound card and recording software that will help you maximize the recording volume BEFORE it becomes digital..

Posted Mon 06 Sep 10 @ 12:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)