Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Denon DN-HS5500

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello there,

I have a dnhd2500 and that works really well as a midi controller for my home set up. So in my enthusiasum I have bought at great expense a HS5500 as in 5.2 pro it is listed as a recognised midi controller, I hoped this would be ideal for mobile work.

I have hooked it up and its not working, I have searched the forum and found to my horror that VDJ have realeased this as a not fully worked up solution. Where are the tech guys with this?

HD2500 fine on xp or vista
HD5500 does not show dual display in vista?
HD5500 has issues with the spinning platter it stutters, if you spin the disk forward it catches up with itself and is fine?

On V6.01 pro the auto mapping for it is even worse! deck two does not spin the platter and no lights come on. I expect this is a vista glitch?

Can someone at VDJ please talk to denon tech and provide a workaround? this was designed to be a midi controller, it works fine as a stand alone dual deck mp3 player so why does VDJ not fully suport it?

Any help is appreciated as I am gutted....

Steve

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 7:04 am
The DN-HS5500 is a great controller, it works for me using 5.2.1 (Make sure you denons firmware is up to date), on 5.2.1 theres a small lag when moving the platter but it is very usable if you get past the small little lag. Nows as for 6.0.1, your going to have to wait for 6.0.2 because the VDJ staff is working on resolving some known issues.

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 8:48 am
hi and thanks for your message, I am encouraged by someone enjoying the 5500, I guess happy people dont bother to write, so forgive me if I have panicked too soon.

I will try V5.2.1 ?? what settings are you using? I have the latest firmware and asio driver from denon, when you say latency on the platter is not wonderful, do you run with the spinning platter and do you get interferance from it like I have experainced. for instance when you go from one side of the deck with a paused song and go back to the one that is playing the disk spins up and makes the song slurr?

Are you XP or Vista? I run a vista laptop and Serato SSL and Serato Itch work fine? I prefer VDJ for mobile work as it loads songs quicker and does not strain the processers as much ;0) Sorry for soo many questions.

Thanks again to anyone that can help me out.

Steve

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 12:20 pm
I run it on windows XP, Me and a few others here on the board were having problems with Vista so it was suggested that we used XP and it worked good on XP. The platter latency is only a real issue if your a scratch dj. It never really bothered me to much. The only thing is that I can't use my 2 Denon DN-HS5500 players on 5.2.1, the new version is supposed to support 2 players.

Posted Fri 21 Aug 09 @ 1:17 pm
progress thus far on the 5500

I cant get this to work properlly on 5.2.0, 5.2.1 or 6.0 or 6.0.1 I have tried various settings and done all these combinations on high spec vista and xp laptops. I have even tried using the onboard denon asio and also an external dxm01 24bit usb mixer.

5.2.1 with xp is the best map for the unit, but I get sound flaws from the platter either slurrs when you swap layers or warble when playing a song with the platter spinning.

6.0.1 is best sound quality wise but the mapping is not working for deck 2 (not on lcd screen, no lights on deck, no spiining platter).

I bougt this for my mobile business so I need an urgent workaround. Having done all this testing I think that VDJ team are almost there.

When is 6.0.2 planned for release please? If its a way off is there any posibiity of a patch for 6.0.1?

Posted Fri 21 Aug 09 @ 1:23 pm
ok this is what I do and it works properly every time.

Setup on windows XP with VDJ 5.2.1
first make sure your DN-HS5500 firmware is up to date (This is very important, old firmware would make the player act up on me)
2nd make sure you have download from the denon website the latest denon asio drivers and install them (I do not change any of the asio settings)
3rd go into your VDJ and use the performance settings found here (yeah they are Hercules RMX settings but they work good for me)
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/87692/Hardware_Technical_Support/Hercules_rmx_performances_setup.html
4th go into VDJ config ->sound
Inputs: None
Outputs: External Mixer (I'm using it with my Behringer DDM4000 Mixer)
Sound Cards: Asio
Asio Driver: DENON DJ Asio driver
Output channels: Set them to however you like, I have left deck 1/2 right deck 3/4
5th go to Remote control and activate DN-HS5500
6th close VDJ save all your settings before closing
7th turn on DN-HS5500
8th push MIDI button on DN-HS5500
9th turn on VDJ 5.2.1, you should see Welcome to Virtual DJ on the split screen
10 load up your music and start mixing

My DJ Equipment specs are as follows:
2 DN-HS5500 but you can only use one player with VDJ 5.2.1
Behringer DDM4000
Hercules MK2 (I only use when I want something portable)
American DJ Versaport soundcard (I only use this when I want to use both my denon players with time codes)

My Laptop is a gateway P-7805u
CPU: Intel Core Duo P8400 (2.26 ghz) I upgraded it to Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100 3.06ghz
OS: Windows Vista 64, I wiped out the hard drive of Vista 64 and I am now dual booting Apple OSX and Windows XP Pro 32bit
Memory: 4096MB 1066MZ DDR3 But windows XP only recognizes 2.99GB of ram since its not a 64 bit version
Hard drive: 320GB 7200 RPM SATA which I upgraded to two intel X25-M 160gb Solid State Drives
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800m GTS with dedicated 1GB of DDR3 memory

Even before I upgraded the laptop I was able to run my DN-HS5500 without a problem on my laptop with VDJ 5.2.1

Well I hope this helps solve your problem

Posted Sat 22 Aug 09 @ 12:55 pm
Hey thanks soo much for that, really good of you to post a detailed response of your settings.

I have tried your advise and its better. However in the process I have identified the main issue, vibration, the spinning platter is over sensitive, bass vibration is causing the warble. Even if I isolate the player, I still detect it on sustained high notes. like playing something like Jay Sean Maybe at 1.01 into the track you hear wow and flutter. If I play it back on the same machine in windows media player, smooth.

I guess, in 6.0.2 the variable sensitiviity option on the platters will cure this, we just need a mapping that works. Can a VDJ team please advise if this is being worked on for the HS5500? and if so when is the ETA?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Posted Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 6:21 am
VDJ team does not post dates for updates, all we know is that its in the works, its being tested and its coming out soon.

Posted Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 11:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)