Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Occasional Freeze Question....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

TWISEPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hello All ...

Before I get into a long winded explanation of whats been happening with video freezes I'm curious if its possible for Virtual DJ to freeze up as a result of a power surge??? I have a laptop running a playlist being automixed in a bar and i think that an occasional freeze is happening right at the same time the cash register is rung (an old school cha-ching register). Theres a boat load of things being plugged into a power strip (cable boxes, registers, amps, etc). Could a power surge cause a video freeze or would it skunk the whole laptop? Curious about anyones feedback... thanks.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 9:28 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Power hickups can do stuff like that, yes. You can try some other power outlet to test your theory.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:32 pm
TWise wrote :
Hello All ...

Theres a boat load of things being plugged into a power strip (cable boxes, registers, amps, etc). Could a power surge cause a video freeze or would it skunk the whole laptop? Curious about anyones feedback... thanks.

If you have that many things plugged into the same outlet I would Definitely get a UPS (power conditioner) unit to plug the computer into

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 7:30 am
UPS is very useful. It might also just be heat. As the computer slows the processor down, VDJ can sometimes freeze, but the processor cools much faster with that slower speed. And when it has cooled down enough you'll see it will go back to normal. :)

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 8:00 am
VanStino wrote :
UPS is very useful. It might also just be heat. As the computer slows the processor down, VDJ can sometimes freeze, but the processor cools much faster with that slower speed. And when it has cooled down enough you'll see it will go back to normal. :)

I think this is the problem the dell laptops were having with the 8400 gs series NVIDIA chips....they put out a patch for it and I think that helped most people out that were running that series/model dell

Posted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 12:29 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005

Posted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 4:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)