Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Demo skins and tools

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BugmenoHome userMember since 2008
Hi,

I downloaded and installed the demo. I use a resolution of 1152*864, most skins are either smaller or larger. Therefor I'm interested in the skin resizer tool. I wanted to try it out on some skins before I buy the product (and not find out later, that I can't get it to look satisfactory on my resolution), but even though I created this account, I cannot download anything.

"Your current licenses do not allow you to download..."

Surely there is a way around this?

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:10 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes there is, buying the product.

Most skins and other plug-ins are made by the community of licensed users, and thus available for
licensed users only. Skin resizer tool is still under development, but since the skins are made
in raster graphics, the best look is only achieved when designing a skin for a certain resolution,
instead of stretching the whole thing. Stretching for small amounts won't degrade the image
much though.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 6:39 am
> Yes there is, buying the product.

Kind of an odd demo, wouldn't you agree? Oh well, on to the next program.

Thanks for the response.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 9:46 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
No, skins, pluggins and effects are reserved for those who have purchased the product. Imagine Windows giving you ever piece of software that Microsoft offers when you are only trying out windows Vista for a month..it would over load your senses......

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 9:49 am
That's hardly a valid analogy. It is more like a demo for Windows Vista Home Premium, where the demo is actually Vista Home Basic...

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 12:24 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Exactly, and you got VirtualDJ basic, for a limited time (20 days, enjoy). Your analogy was much better, thank you....

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 2:48 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The skin resizer tool is made by a user. Atomix Productions / VirtualDJ is not authorized to just freely give out the contributions provided by our licensed users. You can try to contact the creator / owner of the tool if you visit the Skins forum and look for the topic that discusses this tool.

The trial is for trying the features of the application. The default skins are all you should have. IF you do have access or have downloaded skins from other sites then you are already in violation of our licensing.

Chris
VirtualDJ
Atomix Productions

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 2:56 pm
So, if I were to make a skin, I would not be allowed to distribute it as I saw fit?

FYI, I have no skins other than those part of the demo. I stumbled upon this site and decided to try out the demo. Because of the resolution I use, I wanted to know how and if the resizer would work, since most skins are either smaller or larger than my resolution.

I've checked out the skins forum as you suggested. The pinned How To is informative, but when I click on the link to the "Go To VDJSkinResizer Thread" thread, I get "Sorry, you don't have the necessary accreditations to view this page."...

Let me guess, no license user = no necessary accreditations? LOL!

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 4:26 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
That resolution you are using is not a standard one for 16:9 widescreen display, the skins are made in standard resolutions.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 4:42 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
Hi Bugmeno

Tomorrow I will send you a resized version of VirtualDJ Full Skin, for testing purposes. If you are satisfied with the result, then you will know the tool works and will be able to resize almost all skins to your screen resolution.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:26 pm
Thanks, I appreciate it. Oh and I'm not using a widescreen display.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:27 pm
Ok my question is why are you using this odd resolution?? Couldnt you set your desktop to 1280x800??? Is your monitor widescreen, if so then try 1440x900.
I use a 17" Touchscreen with a resolution of 1280x1024 and I can tell you the resizer tool works great (you need to make a donation for the full version) and you will also get the assistance u need from JeremK (who created the tool) which IMHO is one of the best tools to date created.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:32 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Bugmeno wrote :
So, if I were to make a skin, I would not be allowed to distribute it as I saw fit?

Yes, you can do so how ever you like. However, if you were to host it on this site it would be only available for licensed users. Simply our policy.

Bugmeno wrote :
FYI, I have no skins other than those part of the demo. I stumbled upon this site and decided to try out the demo. Because of the resolution I use, I wanted to know how and if the resizer would work, since most skins are either smaller or larger than my resolution.

Yes, the resizer could be used to resize a skin to fit your resolution.

Bugmeno wrote :
I've checked out the skins forum as you suggested. The pinned How To is informative, but when I click on the link to the "Go To VDJSkinResizer Thread" thread, I get "Sorry, you don't have the necessary accreditations to view this page."....

Again, made by recommendation of the creator of the tool to protect the level of effort and work they have done.

Bugmeno wrote :
Let me guess, no license user = no necessary accreditations? LOL!

Yes, you need a license to get the add-ons for the application - which I don't think is a 'funny' situation as much as it is a respectable situation as not to just give away the work that people have put time in building and creating.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 6:37 pm
I was referring to not being able to read a thread, not access to the actual tool. But anyway...

> Ok my question is why are you using this odd resolution?? Couldnt you set your desktop to 1280x800??? Is your monitor widescreen, if so then try 1440x900.

Again, my display is not widescreen. It's a 19" flat panel monitor with a native resolution of 1280*1024, but I simply prefer 1152*864.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 7:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)