Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: splitting tracks for cd - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

helo, i have been wanting to make a cd where the track continues into the next song i keep ending one song and starting the next from that song 20 odd seconds before that ends then mixing another into it and so on, I have been looking at the burn audio cd function where u can cut tracks but im not sure how to use it is there anyway of making a cd where it will autmoaticcaly go into the next track for me?

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 5:33 am
BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes when you're doing any type of recording (to HDD or cd) you can cut tracks and vdj will automatically number them for you and reset the elapsed time counter displayed when you click on recording tab. I have my period / full stop ( . ) on my number pad set as a keyboard shortcut for this function. I find it handy A) when you've just started recording your master mix and you make an error early. Rather than stopping, resetting and starting, I just rewind track, compose myself and hit the shortcut button. B) when making a mix that wont fit on an audio cd, just cut before 70min mark and it makes it easier to burn then having to post cut and burn.

A couple of tips ( feel free for others to add).

* I tend to press the shortcut (cut) key on 4th beat of the bar. I find with a 10 or so track mix it gives it a uniform style or sound.

* I tend to cut to new track before dropping the next track in. I find that if people listen to mixes I've made out of order eg. shuffled, it tends to make the track sound complete rather than coming in halfway through a song.

* I've found that if while keeping the above in mind, if you can also find quiter sections of music at which to cut at, it tends to make less of an audible click / cut sound when people listen to the compilation after it's burnt.

* Oh and it goes without saying, make sure that settings on burning software are set to burn without putting automatic silences between tracks!!

As usual, I'm typing this in the dark, at 1am after 12 hr work shift, so if it doesn't make sense or needs correcting, please let me know!!

Hope that helps.

BISH

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 8:48 am
dont worry bish it all makes sense...

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 9:11 am
If you have already recorded your set use CD WAVE to split the tracks. I've been using it for years. Use Nero to burn your CD, just put a check mark in "No pause between tracks" and it works perfect for mixed compilations in any cd player for non stop music and you can skip through tracks as well. Doig it this way lets you focus on your mixes and not worrying where to put a track point. If you already burned your single track cd just rip it back to your pc and use cd wave to seperate the tracks and reburn it.

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 9:40 am
thank you for the replies but im still bit stuck how do i do that from scratch as im playing a track and want to cut to next track, track number 2 do i just click the scissor button and that will be cut to the track, and also how do i make the file mp3 as such? as it is saved as cue

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 10:30 am
what works for me is, in the record audio config screen is. I check the line in option, tick auto start, under file, set where i want to save the file to. tick on prompt if overwrite, auto start and split in mutiple files. I save it as wave file so i can play the cd anywhere.If you use the crossfader, you can click auto split then you don't need the scissors. If you use the auto mix option, your cue points show up automatically, then when it get to near the end point of the first song, use the scissors to mark the starting point of the second song, and so on. As mentioned before, when you burn make sure it's setup for no gaps. You'll still be able to skip tracks, but the music will flow from one song to the next. I don't use the automix, but prelisten to where you want your mix to start, pause the second track, then when your ready to mix it in, use the scissors, start mixing your nxt song, and so on. Hope that helps answer your question.

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 12:17 pm
i was mixing then when i wanted to go into track 2 i clicked sissors and carried on mixing but for some reason i cant open the file after i click stop on recored button as it is a BIN

Posted Mon 10 Nov 08 @ 4:31 pm
There's another option that none of the posts mentioned. You can do it in a completelly different way. First, record the set, preferably in wav, into a single file. Let's say for example the set has 15 songs. Then you can do a cue file with track changes, you specify where you want a track change. It can be easilly done with textpad. The format should be something like this:

PERFORMER "Dj Led Manville"
TITLE "God Sent Us To Destroy Act I"
FILE "01 - Dj Led Manville - God Sent Us To Destroy Act I.mp3" MP3 <---- Name of the recorded file and format
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Led Intro"
PERFORMER "Led Manville"
INDEX 01 00:00:00 <---first track
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Serenade Of Death"
PERFORMER "Legacy Of Music"
INDEX 01 02:11:16 <--- at 2min 11 sec 16 ms Cd player will jump into track2
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Electrohead"
PERFORMER "Combichrist"
INDEX 01 05:50:24
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Neurodancer"
PERFORMER "Front 242"
INDEX 01 10:13:30
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Justify"
PERFORMER "Novus"
INDEX 01 12:14:21

Once you have done the cue file in notepad save it and change txt extension to cue, so you must have something like this: mydjset.cue

Now you have a sound file (wav or mp3) and a cue file associated to it. Go to Nero, or any other burning software and select burner/burn image... Select the cue file you've just done and load it. Be patient,it can take a while but it will record the Cd. With a single mp3 or wav file once recorded you'll have 15 tracks and no gaps between them.

There's also another an efficient way of doing this, but you'll have to use Sony Cd Architect. With it you can place track points all over the set as you wish, you can check how will be the recorded cd before burning, change points and even timestretch the whole set to fit the cd, in case you exceeded some seconds or minutes the cd lenght.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 08 @ 10:55 am
TWDsjeHome userMember since 2006
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when you are trying to split a mix into multiple tracks for a CD.

Do not record in MP3. This file format usually inserts silence around the track automatically. If you record your session in MP3 then convert to WAV when you record it to the disk you will still have a slight skip between tracks. Instead record as a 44 100 Hz, 16 bit stereo WAV.

As already mentioned you must make sure that your CD burner does not insert silence between tracks.

WAV files are burned onto the cd as 1/75th second frames. If your file does not line up exactly on one of these frames you are likely to still have a little click or blip on your CD.

This is why I recommend simply recording your mix as one big WAV file, and then using a sound editing program to split up the tracks. This way you can ensure that you split it at the correct frames. Audacity has several tools to help you accomplish this:

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Splitting_recordings_into_separate_tracks

Posted Tue 11 Nov 08 @ 12:21 pm
thank you for your help but i didnt realy want to have to do that i thought the virtual dj programme would do it just cliking the scissors

Posted Tue 11 Nov 08 @ 4:42 pm
xonorPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Tue 11 Nov 08 @ 6:47 pm
The scissors work for me, unfortunaltly I can't figure out why it's saving as a .bin file. Maybe someone else knows the answer. Are using the Line in option and have that hooked up to your mixer?

Posted Tue 11 Nov 08 @ 7:05 pm
nero does it best.

Posted Wed 12 Nov 08 @ 12:19 am
i have it set to record master and mic, hercules dj consol mk2 and the file My Music\mix.bin am i meant to put the file directly into a cd burner?

Posted Wed 12 Nov 08 @ 4:19 pm
Sony CD Architect does it flawlessly without a hitch. I been using it for over 4 years and been making mixed cds like that. You make the full mix, drop the file into CD architect, then whenever you want the next track to start, it's as easy as pressing the T button to insert a track. Enjoy, it's the best way to put tracks into mixed cd's.

Posted Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 7:18 pm
ADRENALINE9999 wrote :
Sony CD Architect does it flawlessly without a hitch. I been using it for over 4 years and been making mixed cds like that. You make the full mix, drop the file into CD architect, then whenever you want the next track to start, it's as easy as pressing the T button to insert a track. Enjoy, it's the best way to put tracks into mixed cd's.

Ohh yeah, then you can burn right from the program.

Posted Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 7:18 pm
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Well VDJ can handle your need too, that is fresh from your non-stop mixes.
Discover it and you'll see.

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 1:39 am
You have several options mon
Split in virtual dj..... great up to a point - can split automatically on cross fading.. or you can set your split shortcut key (more accurate than clicking the scissors too).. timing etc required but once completed that is it.. no post editing needed just burn and play.

Record straight and the use an editing software for exact precision - CD architect, Nero and a couple other software will help you to do this
Personally Cd Architect is great... a little learning curve if you are not use to the software..
Nero is straightforward.. no need to learn here. just simply listen and split where you want it but have to remember to remove those two second gap options etc.

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 7:15 am
Hope people still come here...
any who i just noticed it myself that lately my recordings have a 1.4 second gap between them
When i first got Vdj it wasn't doing it. I'm guessing it started after VDJ 3.4 PRO i don't know.
All i wanna know is how to erase the gap without Nero MP3 Splitter or that WAV

Whose got the answer??????????????

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 11:09 pm
Hope people still come here...
any who i just noticed it myself that lately my recordings have a 1.4 second gap between them
When i first got Vdj it wasn't doing it. I'm guessing it started after VDJ 3.4 PRO i don't know.
All i wanna know is how to erase the gap without Nero MP3 Splitter or that WAV

Whose got the answer??????????????

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 11:12 pm
69%