Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: shared vs. dedicated video graphics RAM

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

just a note in case any one was wondering, i recently purchased a laptop with 1.8gigs of shared video/graphics memory figuring that i would be able to allocate. come to find out only 32mb were dedicated to the video, not enough to run VDJ video apps without stuttering, with no way to increase the video dedication. no way to install a card either because the graphics/video engine is tied directly to the chipset. this was the HP pavilion 1145go. just a heads up. some of you are probably like, yeah well duh, what an idiot! save your anger, COD 5 comes out soon.

Posted Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 2:35 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Well it is a known fact that only dedicated memory on video card will work ;)

Posted Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 5:30 pm
djvonHome userMember since 2006
Well it is a known fact that only dedicated memory on video card will work ;)

Who fooled you my friend, my hp compaq presario c700 with 384mb shared memory runs videos flawlessly under windows xp and vista.When I say flawlessly,I take into consideration using video effects /transitions plus outputting video to a video recorder.

Posted Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 9:16 pm
It is ok if you are using small videos, but if you use DVD or HD quality your lappie is gonna die ;)

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 7:50 am
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
i dont agree with that . the new chipsets with shared video are very powerful. i got a lenovo X61T (Intel GMA X3100) as an backup machine - it can handle dvd files rip in full resolution .....

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 9:56 am
when i had two songs and two videos going, small mb windows media videos of the bear, butterfly, and lake, the video stuttered and froze due to the fact that there was only 32mb dedicated video memory. i dont think its possible to have two videos going on VDJ with a cube or any other effect without stuttering with only 32mb of dedicated video memory. but if it works for you congrats!

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 2:25 pm
Putte wrote :
i dont agree with that . the new chipsets with shared video are very powerful. i got a lenovo X61T (Intel GMA X3100) as an backup machine - it can handle dvd files rip in full resolution .....

Yes it is true, new built in video cards are getting better every day but I would not rely on them. You can always find MSI laptop with ATI video card (2600HD or newer) with its own 256MB DDR3 memory.
If someone wants a desktop solution, I suggest ATI 3850 with 512MB DDR3, it is the same speed as NVIDIA 9600GT but cheaper. It works great.

Posted Sat 08 Nov 08 @ 7:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)