Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Recommended external hds?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My external HD has taken a few too many beatings and has decided once and for all to give up on me. So, I decided instead of going to buy another of the same thing, I want to upgrade.

I'm looking for a hd that can take a beating, minimum of 500gb though I would prefer around 1tb hd space, and I want a hd with a fast data transfer rate. Price isn't that much of a concern though id prefer to spend less than more... (Duh)

Oh and I need it to be PC + Mac compatible.

I read some reviews on websites but honestly what DJs use it for puts those hard drives through a lot more than the average joe, so I think its better to ask for the opinions of some DJs when it come to something like this. Thanks for the help once again.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 2:50 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
iammrcandyman wrote :
I'm looking for a hd that can take a beating.

I am in computer business and I must say I didn't heard of such hard disk, you simply cannot beat it ;) They are most fragile and sensitive part of computers today. You can try and search for some HD case that has some rubber on them for anti shock.
New SSD disks are the best choice but they are pretty expensive now.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 7:06 am
I use a western digital, that's shock resistant. And I've it in a custom-fitted rubber protection thingy.

Point is, even with all that, I'd reccomend you to not have your HDDs take a beating, if you don't use extraordinary protection they're not gonna make it, but you can protect them from small drops and such. But don't expect them to take a beating.
´

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 8:37 am
xonorPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi candyman.

Are you using mac with os x and xp? or you have two computers? (mac and pc)

I may recomend you a hard disk with firewire 800, it's the highest transfer today, but you may have firewire800 in pc too.

I wait for your answer.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 12:58 pm
I'm in agreement with what has been said in the sense that your hd should not be taking a beating in the first place. I just picked up a 500G Western Digital Passport drive and it suits my needs just fine. Nice and compact althought admittedly it might not be as durable as what you are ultimately looking for. By the same token though, as long as it's well taken care of, I se no reason why it wouldn't last for quite some time.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 2:57 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've had terrible problems with USB hard drives. One night I couldn't do a gig because of it.
So from now on I use a desktop PC and have the hard drive's inside.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 6:13 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I have had pretty good luck with MAXTOR external HDs....only one out of five failed.....

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 6:38 pm
Buy an external case, either firewire, usb, eSATA. Then buy an enterprise edition hard drive. These are the most durable. They are designed for high vibration environments such as a server room. I prefer WD and they are PC/Mac compatible.

Posted Mon 03 Nov 08 @ 8:54 pm
Yup i would go with tha SSD..thats what i use..SSD card..a little one just 8 gb..but i got musik that gets them jumpin..$48...

Posted Tue 04 Nov 08 @ 10:55 am
Oh and how do i get the fire wir thing on my laptop???

Posted Tue 04 Nov 08 @ 10:56 am
xonor wrote :
Hi candyman.

Are you using mac with os x and xp? or you have two computers? (mac and pc)

I may recomend you a hard disk with firewire 800, it's the highest transfer today, but you may have firewire800 in pc too.

I wait for your answer.

I'm using about a 1 year old OSX Macbook and my PC is XP. The macbook has firewire but the pc doesnt.

The pc is used for my at home practice and keeping the backing of all my music on, the mac is what i use at my gigs.

Posted Wed 05 Nov 08 @ 12:58 am
Hi

Take a look at ebuyer.com. Just brought a Sata drive 1tb for around £80.00 the many reviews are encouraging. I then brought an external double casing so if one drive fails i have the other to fall back on. I was surprised how little heat is gnerated from the two drives compared to previous.

Posted Wed 05 Nov 08 @ 5:37 am
Has anyone had any experience with the Smart Bay hard drives in Alienware laptops?

Posted Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 12:09 am
Never mind..

Posted Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 9:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)