Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DID I BLOW MY SUB?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi everyone

I have a question friday night i started hearing a loud clear pop coming from one sub. I turned down the bass and it helped but occasionally depending on the song. I will hear it. Do you think its blown.

How do you use the TRIM knob on your system? What is the function of TRIM?

Posted Sun 26 Oct 08 @ 3:11 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Your sub may not be blown but it sounds like it's on it's way to being gone.

A few questions...

What kind of sub is it? Who makes it?

What kind of cabinet is it? (Sealed, Vented, Ported, Folded Horn)

What is the rating of the sub? (how much wattage does it need)

What ohm is the sub? 4ohm or 8ohm

What kind of amp are you using?

How many watts are going to the sub?

Are you using a crossover? A compressor?

Answer these questions and I should be able to tell you if it's blown, about to blow, or what you may need to do.

Posted Sun 26 Oct 08 @ 4:05 pm
Everything you have is a good match so you should not have blown the sub. But it sounds like you have damaged it. What frequency do you have the subs crossed over to? The voice coil sounds like it may have some damage.

This is what you do.

Check the cabinet for knocks and rattles. That is not the best cab. It's not the worst but it's not the best either.

Take the driver (speaker) out the cabinet and inspect it. Push it in with your hand and feel for any resistance that is not smooth.

Smell the back of the speaker. Does it smell burnt? smell the cone (center) does it smell burnt? Any electrical smell?

Put a 9volt battery to the leads of the driver and listen to what sound you get. If you get nothing, The speaker is blown.

If all this checks out to be good, Put the driver back in the cab and hook up JUST THAT SUB the same way you had it the night you heard the noise. Play it at the same volume and LOOK at how far the driver is flexing. Is it hitting the grill?

Look at all your lights and see if you are in the RED and how long you stay in the red.

If you need more info...Just ask

Good luck

Posted Sun 26 Oct 08 @ 9:27 pm
I will try what you said. I have never removed a sub from a box. Is there anything I should know.

It still has warranty so I think I might just take it in.

Do you think two of these will sound better than what i have
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV-215-Dual-15-2Way-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=601388

Because I am going to have to get something meanwhile my sub gets fixed. Or buy a new sub and return it when mine gets fixed.

But am contemplating buying these two. What would is the best way to go.

For amps i have the Crown 802 ans QSC 1450

Posted Mon 27 Oct 08 @ 12:45 pm
The Peavey is a good speaker. That one has been around for a long time. It is a full range speaker so your not going to get the bass sound you are looking for out of those.

As for the amps, I like QSC RMX series better than the Crown XLS series "HOWEVER" between the two amps, I would get the Crown XLS 802D because you will get more out of it. It has a better power rating for the money and Crown IS a very good amp. If you are getting the Peavey's that amp is a good match. You always want your amp to be at least 100watts more than the speaker asks for.

As for taking the speaker apart, It's REAL EASY. All you need is a crosstip screwdriver. Take the grill off, then take the driver off.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, just smell inside the speaker. Put your nose to the front of the speaker and see if you can smell any electrical sent.

You can try this too. Tapco is pretty good made by Mackie

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tapco-6918S-18-Subwoofer?sku=600298

Posted Mon 27 Oct 08 @ 1:09 pm
So i can use the Crown802d amp on the peavey 215s. I thought that amp was strictly for subs.

My sub is going to be repaired.

so mean while I plan to use the peavey 215s

Do I run them straight from the amp to the speakers bypassing the crossover?

I plan to get my subs back and still use them.

Will the amps have enough power when I get everything back?

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 10:49 am
I just wanna say kudos to dj city. You really sound like you know your stuff in these posts. And I think you really helped a kid in the dark come out to the light. I may be buying one of the tapco 18's for myself. Thanks for the advice.

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 12:43 pm
The amp will have enough power. I'm glad you are getting the sub repaired. Did the shop say what was wrong with it?

You can hook the Peaveys to the amp. No amp is built strictly for subs even though some seem to be made for that job. those amps cost thousands (like $3000 and better). Crown is #1 for those amps. To use those ultra high end amps, you need to be running some very serious sound. I have yet to meet a DJ that needs that kind of amp. Those amps put out around 1000w to 3000w @ 8ohms stereo.

http://www.pssl.com/Crown-MA5002VZ-Macrotech-Power-Amp-1300W-8-Ohms

http://www.pssl.com/Crown-XLS-5000-Power-Amp-1100W-8-ohms-stereo-

http://www.pssl.com/Crown-IT8000-Power-Amplifier-2100W-8-Ohms

As far as hooking up your crossover, You can if you want to. It won't hurt but it's not needed for full range sound. If you do use it, you will have to adjust your frequency to get the best sound.

Hope this helps

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 7:38 pm
thanks

so when i get the subs back will the QSC 1450 be better for the subs and Crown for the PVs or vice versa?

again thanks for all the help

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 10:22 pm
The Crown will be your best bet.

500w @ 8 ohms...800w @ 4 ohms.

Keep me posted.

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 10:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)