Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: "Using a pre-amp" to help TCV reaction time, and usage??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfw7eSi5Q1o

and figured, hey this may be the answer to my problem after all!! I got the same reaction with both my laptop on an old school maya, as I did with my pci m-audio delta 1010lt on my mothership computer;maybe I should have been using pre-amps..

wonder what kinds are good for this sort of situation? May be worth a shot...

Posted Fri 17 Oct 08 @ 2:20 am
bump..

Posted Fri 17 Oct 08 @ 5:45 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
VDJ has inbuilt compensation for reading the timecode signal at line level so you dont really need preamps to get a good signal. the only time you would want preamps is for doing a passthrough (where you play regular vinyl thru virtual DJ) but they dumped that feature anyway so there is pretty much no reason to get preamps. stuff like DJ decks recommends preamps, VDJ doesnt need them. use a decent audio interface and set up your decks properly. also dont necessarily rely on the 'auto config' button

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 11:06 am
Hmm...

Well, i've had alot of issues with my TCV over the past year, as a matter of fact, i've actually NEVER used them in a public place, cause i just don't trust them. First I thought it was my underpowered maya44usb laptop setup, next I built a well-powered mini tower with a pci delta 1010lt (A very good card), and I get REDICULOUS reaction time and latency in a good way, i mean its really accurate, BUT.........

I have the weirdest symptoms. I can't figure it out, but my songs 'jump' around the timeline. Such an example, lets say I scratch in a song on the right, it will be playing, and then all the sudden, it will jump ahead to like 2:30 into the song, then jump back to the beginning. I can't really get it to stay in time. ALSO, and this is the most anoying symptom, but my timecode control over the music just STOPS!!!!!!! Like, i'll be in the middle of scratching, and the program just won't react anymore to my TCV. THe TCV will be checked on, and the record on the screen will move with my hand as if its tracking the TCV, but the music just won't react!! it will just play as if its not on TCV at all, and the only way to remedy that, is to go back into the config and change something (Either performance settings, or timecodes on or off) but that will restart any songs that are playing at the moment, so i'd have to time it right if i'm playing to a live audience....

This has NEVER worked for me, and its quite the pickle. I was thinking of picking up serato just so I can do what I wanted to do with vdj in the first place, but I really don't want serato, i just want my vdj to WORK!!!!

-----------

ok, enough preaching....

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 1:45 pm
I've always used TCV, sometimes even without any sort of backup. I have only once seen that it completely lost control, but just disabling and re-enabling the TCV button was enough to make it work again.

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 2:47 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi schmidty, What TT n cartridges u using?

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 3:32 pm
Schmitty have you ever tried grounding the TTs to the computer like we talked about months ago??

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 5:12 pm
Hi.

I'm using tech 12s, and shure m44-7s. I tried re-adjusting the carts during the 'glitch', but to no avail. I ALWAYS test out the needles are working properly by playing a normal record first and listening that it sounds good, then the TCV, then I plug them into the computer, then I turn on the computer..

Hehe, nope haven't done that yet, but to be honest i'll try anything right now... I will kick myself in the ass if that solves the problem... I plan on making a short video tomorrow and host it on my server to actually 'show' the problem as its happeneing..

(SPeaking of computer and power, does this mean anything?? When I plug my cable into my power supply, and then into the power strip, theres ALWAYS a little jolt, or a zap that I can see coming from the plug, and makes a l;ittle "bzzzt" when I plug it in.... Dirty power supply??)

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 11:48 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
try playing a normal vinyl THROUGH you pc. you can find out how to route the sound from one input to another output in your manual if you need to. sometimes this can be called 'monitoring'. plugging the decks into your mixer or amp isnt going to exhibit the same issues as you are not using the same equipment!

even though the signal will be quiet and lacking in bass you should be able to hear if there is any bad humm in the signal.

if there is perhaps you should take good advice when you hear it and earth the damn decks! : P

Posted Mon 20 Oct 08 @ 5:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)