Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: krs-one / dj revolution track The DJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJJaEPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Heard the sample on zipdj. I downloaded the edited versioin heh. Anyone else heard it yet?

Posted Fri 19 Sep 08 @ 4:59 pm
DJJaEPRO InfinityMember since 2007
After listening to it a few times, maybe about half way through the track, he loses me about what message he is trying to convey. Eh, oh well. Just was curious about different peoples interpretation. It just bugs me he says Serato is great then later he says just because you have a computer and 20,000 tracks on it doesn't mean anything. Sounds like a double standard on some of the lyrics.

If you hear this song on the radio and you are not in the DJ business how would you interpret it, the regular mainstream radio crowd? Some stations are playing this track, and if you had a patron approach you start talking about this?

I have at least 30k songs on my laptop, and way more on my external HD. And I tell people that you expect me to remember a song without at least a title? I do not play it all according to the lyrics. Even when I had a 10 hour gig last Saturday. I did not even make a dent in the music I have. I tell people that come and humm or sing a song to me or saw a video on MTV that was off a cd on track number 9 the hot video with so and so artist. Umm. ok MTV is not a music station, last time I checked it was a reality show station and rap and r&b thrown in for commercials, and maybe if you get lucky from requests adult contemp. MTV2 is the same. At least in the US.

Oh one more thing about me downloading the edited version, you do not need curse words to get a message across or make a crowd hype, just IMO. To many F' bombs in the song. That is just me though. After 12yrs DJ"ing, still learning, not afraid to ask opinions :)

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 2:20 am
I don't agree with everything he says on this track, but I do agree with alot of it. I think all he's saying about computer DJ's is to not let the computer do all the work for you. Of course, it also seems to only be aimed at radio & club jocks. The rules he sets up though at the end seem to be dead on, but even when I don't agree KRS gets a free pass from me 'cause I been a fan since Criminal Minded;^]

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 4:28 am
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 7:48 am
I listenend to it a couple of times and didn't hear that he thaught serato was great. My interpretation is that since serato is standard for tts you aren't sh*t if you don't know the art of DJing. It's my impression he saying the new DJ is getting too big of an ego because of the computer / download age. We are forgetting the roots of Djing because its becoming a dime a dozen expertise and getting muddier with each controller or software.

I think he dead on to everything and agree.

Last weak I went to see my dj friend in a small bar on a midweak. My friend was sick and had the Friday dj sub in for him. Well, almost and hour into the time slot the dj still was not playing because of equipment issues ( apple, traktor, and numark TC ). I could tell what the problem was from a distance just by the way they were fiddling around with things. It could have been resolved with a set of back up wires. Just that simple. So the dj finally started with a low volume and a shorted usb cable. No back up plan, no plan b, no just in case, no let me run to walmart 5 minutes away.

No passion from the new school DJ. The true DJ takes years to even develop a style

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 11:46 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Woooooooow

I miss Scott La Rock.

Yeah, Chris was dead on in alot of what he said. He's spittin about Dj's that ain't Dj'j but let a computer DJ for them.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I used to know KRS a loooooong time ago. He's a real dude ya know?

As far as the mp3dj thing, If you can bring it, bring it no matter how you bring it.

I have seen dj's at clubs use mixmeister and have a 4 hour mix completed before setting foot in the club. They just set up the cpu and push play. THAT SUCKS but the crowd don't know and he got paid (I would not have paid him for doing the equal of playing a long mix c.d.)

I'm a DJ and proud of it.

I did wax for years and years (Heavy as hell but I MISS IT DEARLY) I was moved into the digital world by a thief who stole ALL my wax, TT's and equipment. VDJ saved my career and for that i'm thankful.

I have gotten lazy from time to time but I LOVE rippin it up w/ timecode even though it's still not quite the same, WE STILL ROCK A PARTY.

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 1:58 pm
To me that's what really matters. It doesn't matter how you get the job done, just as long as it gets done and everyone has a good time...honestly that's all most people really care about is if you can keep the beat moving.

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 2:03 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I like it... I often say in here that if you're rocking the party, no matter what you use, you're doing your job. Thing is, a lot more goes into rocking a party than showing up with an ipod or a huge music collection. You have to know which joints to play. Knowing that will rock the party, and job well done. I didn't hear a diss to digital DJ's, just whack dj's. Even if you automix, you still have to know what to put in the playlist.

Posted Mon 22 Sep 08 @ 12:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)