Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Active Picture

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does VDJ have any plans on supporting active picture videos?

If you play a active picture video in vdj right now it will stretch the video horizontally. To ensure proper playback in the hd world this is truly necessary.

For the unknowing a active picture video would be like a 640x360 video. This size video will fill a widescreen tv without artificial stretching. Normal 4:3 videos like 640x480 will have black pillars on the side.

SLV handles this very well. The anaphormic way is not good at all. It works fine for widescreen only videos....but again 4:3 is messed up.

Active picture IMO is the only real solution.

the soultion:

have options in vdj for the video output.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 1:18 am
i''ve been dealing with that since we first went with video at the club (putting up crowd & concert shots, concert flyers, etc on the screens) my solution for anything not in widescreen format has been to take them home and edit them. this gives me the option to adjust for color, size, aspect ratio, and to make sure we don't get sued. some people are just plain cranky about having their pic up on a screen.

its a little extra work, but it does give you more control over what is on your screens.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 2:41 am
You can work around it using FFShow's resize option, but then you've got to be comfortable with using FFDShow for your video decoding. It works great going forwards, but not so great backwards.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 11:06 am
I've yet got ffdshow to work with vdj....but will give it another shot. what version have you had luck with? also have you got it to work with h.264 files?

thanks

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 2:15 pm
I don't know the specific version as I tend to use the K-Lite Codec Pack, but I have used FFDShow independently before successfully. I had success with divx/xvid, h264, flv and mpeg2. Be aware that Virtual DJ will use Windows' default audio decoding filter, so if you're using FFDShow disable any audio processing such as normalization.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 5:48 pm
surprised their isn't more input :-(

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 9:10 am
People have been suggesting a proper aspect ratio implementation for at least a year, I suppose it doesn't have high enough priority for immediate implementation :(.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 9:18 am
Andrew87 wrote :
I suppose it doesn't have high enough priority for immediate implementation :(.

along with other great suggestions too...

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 7:21 pm
theirs way more then enough. If we took a pool on what type of screen you played on i bet a hdtv/plasma would win. behind that a projector & then if any a SD tv ha.

well guess its time for vdj to fall behind again :-( so close bu yet so far.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 08 @ 9:26 pm
dj_czarHome userMember since 2004
I am able to use FFDShow in VDJ when playing files in the AVI container, however MP4 and MKV containers fail and VDJ simply says 'Error'. I am using Haali as my splitter. Any ideas, Andrew? Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 08 @ 3:46 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

It's about time something was finished, either audio or video, take your pick.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 08 @ 2:24 pm
? u mean something to be done?

anywhoo I have had the same error when i tried it. But those same files play in windows media player. I was under the impression if it plays in wmp it will play in vdj. Unless their is some kind of communication error between the splitter & vdj.

THIS IS A HUGE FIX VDJ listen up =============) ) ) )) ) ) ) ) ) )) )

ACTIVE PICTURE!!!

Posted Sun 12 Oct 08 @ 3:21 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
This feature is something that has annoyed the hell out of me since I started with VDJ.

Of course in a few years, everything will be Hi Definition on widescreen displays (likely 16:9) and in that scenario, everything you play in virtualDJ will look totally messed up, unless you've gone through the MASSIVE trouble of cropping and transcoding everything with an aspect to match the particular type of displays that you are using. That means that you actually have to transcode your older videos (i.e. anything from before 2002 or so, and much newer stuff) to include black borders on the sides so that they aren't stretched out on a widescreen monitor.

YUCK! Not only would that look bloody stupid, it would waste diskspace and not work properly anymore played back in proper video software, because then you'd end up seeing a tiny little black square in the middle of the screen when you are in fullscreen mode.

So far the only reasonably "easy" way of working around this is to use DJCel's video resizer plugin to manually stretch the video, but this has to be reset for every song when the aspect ratio changes.

If Video is important to VirtualDJ's customers and marketing strategy, it is CRITICAL that they fix this issue so that this works the way that it should, and does in nearly every other video playback program out there.

Posted Sat 18 Oct 08 @ 8:32 pm
Supacon wrote :
This feature is something that has annoyed the hell out of me since I started with VDJ.

So far the only reasonably "easy" way of working around this is to use DJCel's video resizer plugin to manually stretch the video, but this has to be reset for every song when the aspect ratio changes.

Video Resizer plugin: i use this all the time cause most of my screens are widescreen, and a lot of videos have black bands at the top and bottom of the video to suggest that its a widescreen video.
to get round this i do...

1. load a video with black top andf bottom.
2. go the resizer plugin and stretch it vertically.
3. activate / deactivate the plugin from the virtualdj main window.

the 80s wernt in widescreen, so what i find with 16:9 screens is that it makes people look fatter (cause the screen is streching the picture horizontaly)
i use the resizer with the above setting to strech verticaly again.
though this looses some of the picure, it shows the video in the shape it should be.

so in my experience there are 3 picture ratios that matter...

Standard 4:3 - most of the 80s and 90s are this shape

Widescreen (4:3) this is where there are black borders top and bottom to give you a widescreen image on a normal TV

Widescreen (16:9) Anamprphic - this is where the image has no borders. when played on a 4:3 screen the video looks like the people were streched and look taller than usual. This looks best on 16:9 monitors

surely the resizer plugin could be modified to either detect the 3 video methods above, or maybe simpler, if it rememberd each setting for all the videos I played. (in a .ini file or something)

Posted Mon 20 Oct 08 @ 9:46 pm
cmon vdj. its time!

Posted Mon 20 Oct 08 @ 10:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)