Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Does Virtual DJ 5 + Hercules console RMX only work seamlessly on dual core pc? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi,

A while ago, my brother and I decided to buy a Hercules RMX console since we DJ from time to time and we already had some experience with using the virtual dj software (Hercules MkII). We installed the software on my brother's laptop, whick only was a single core laptop with 477MB RAM, while virtual dj requires 512 RAM. Nonetheless, everything seemed to work fine when we tested everything at home. But just a week ago, we had to dj at a party and (luckily) we prepared everything for that evening in the afternoon. So when everything was connected, we wanted to check the sound and we noticed that the sound began to stutter/glitch once per 4 beats after a song was playing for about a minute or so. We tried to change several settings (move slider to fastest, use safe mode, deactivate anti-virus programs, etc.) and we even reinstalled the software, but nothing seemed to work. Eventually, we were able to use the dual core laptop of a friend and everything worked seamlessly. So; because this happened, it seemed clear to me and my brother that the problem were the specifications of his laptop and not the virtual dj software.

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine also bought the Hercules RMX console and he has the same problem, while his pc (which runs on vista) has a single intel centrino processor of 1.73 GHz and 3GB RAM!

So now there are a lot of questions I ask myself: Is it possible to run virtual dj 5 without sound 'glitches' on a single core pc, does this problem show up at a random moment (the software on my brother's pc had worked without problems before the party) and if so, is there any way to fix this or am I forced to use a dual core pc whenever I want to use Virtual DJ without sound problems?

Greetz

P.S. I couldn't find an answer for my question on other topics and I'm sorry if my English contains some mistakes, but I'm Belgian and my native language is Dutch, so I tried my best ;)

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 12:12 pm
Mine does pretty good on a Petium M processor at 1.8 ghz with 1 gb RAM. I have had simmilar problems however if I'm playing a song & loading the other deck while performing other actions within the software. But if I wait until the other deck finishes loading & for the CPU meter to go back down, then perform the next action (preview, sync, loop, etc) all is well;^]

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 12:31 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
have you got all the latest rmx drivers they will help, i also think you need to be running vdj edition 5.1 to get the full benefit of the software updates. nearly everyone experienced these gliches until updating there drivers, what settings are you using.

you have a great command of the english language.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 1:56 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
What actual type of CPU is it? Centrino isn't actually a CPU. Is it a celeron by chance, rather than a Pentium-M or Core2Solo?

My general advice would be to avoid Celerons like the plague...!

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 8:06 pm
I have a claptop hooked up with centrno. and i have to disable on of the coes so it woudlnt skip.

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 12:10 am
have you got all the latest rmx drivers they will help, i also think you need to be running vdj edition 5.1 to get the full benefit of the software updates. nearly everyone experienced these gliches until updating there drivers, what settings are you using.

you have a great command of the english language.

Thanks for your help, I haven't updated the drivers yet, so I guess that's the first thing I'll try to do ;-)

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 4:06 am
My preset is on fastest, latency overlocked and automatic. 48khz and 18 ms (now this is the new setting I applied since I disabled one core), and the latest drivers. Like I said, my RMX works fine now, but once Im done playing go back enabling the other core.

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 9:39 am
Okay, so now I'm really hopeless... My friend installed the latest RMX drivers which indeed should minimalize the utilization of the CPU + He installed the latest version of VDJ (5.2) using his serial key, but the skipping in the sound is still there, in fact, it seems to be even worse than it was before -_-'

@fullblast: you talk about disabling one core, do you have a dual core laptop?

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 3:51 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Are you running in ASIO mode? Try opening the RMX control panel and switching to WDM mode and then open VDJ
see if the skipping goes away.

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 3:57 pm
@TearEmUp: It's already on WDM mode I'm afraid...

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 4:20 pm
OK, laptop? How many processes do you have running? Also, CTR/ALT/DELETE open the Task Manager click on the processes tab, right mouse button click on VDJ set priority to high. And shut off any non-mixing related processes (like your anti-virus)....

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 4:27 pm
About 83 processes, setting priority to high doesn't seem to help... But the strange thing is; CPU only varies between 25 and 40% when playing songs in virtual dj, so normally, just technically (RAM and processor), the laptop shouldn't have any problems with running the software...

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 4:46 pm
83??? Holy over loaded laptop Batman!...google search PC Decrapifier..and get rid of the stuff you don't need...my laptop with a dual core only runs 40-45 process when I use it with my RMX....

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 4:59 pm
DeckAndBlacker wrote :
Okay, so now I'm really hopeless... My friend installed the latest RMX drivers which indeed should minimalize the utilization of the CPU + He installed the latest version of VDJ (5.2) using his serial key, but the skipping in the sound is still there, in fact, it seems to be even worse than it was before -_-'

@fullblast: you talk about disabling one core, do you have a dual core laptop?

yea, its a centrino

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 11:01 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
Are you running in ASIO mode? Try opening the RMX control panel and switching to WDM mode and then open VDJ
see if the skipping goes away.

I am using ASIO cuz of the tcv's So there's no way around it

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 11:04 pm
I am having similar problems and I tried 3 recent laptops (Dual Core 2 Duo, 1.8 GHz and up, 2 and 3 GB RAM). They all skip! It is not a CPU issue, not more than 20% is ever used. I believe is a Virtual DJ issue! I downloaded an evaluation version of UltraMixer 2 and it does not skip! UltraMixer actually uses more CPU around 30% but more important it does not skip!

Virtual DJ works flawlessly on an iMac (Mac OS) though, no skipping at all! On the same iMac hardware, booting Vista, VDJ is skipping; all latest drivers and software from VDJ. The full trial version of VDJ skips even worse than the "lite" version that comes with Hercules RMX ...

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 9:23 am
Just because your CPU usage is low doesn't mean it's a Virtual DJ issue. The more processes and services you have open, the more interrupts the cpu potentially has to deal with, it's like having lots of people constantly poking at you! DPC Latency Checker is a good way to evaluate the realtime stream processing capability of your computer. The bar should always be in the green, preferably very very low.

However, I use XP for Virtual DJ and refuse to use Vista. A clean install without tweaking boots with about 20 processes, I can run TCV comfortably at 64 (1ms) in XP. By contrast, Vista boots with about 40 processes and even if you take it down to 30 still performs worse in just about every aspect versus XP, and some people are running Vista with 80 processes, ouch!

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 9:31 am
I agree, but ...

I have tried both Vista and XP on the same hardware, fresh new installations no other apps running. It is true that XP it is better, but it still skips. This is unacceptable for any kind of DJ'ing. I will run the application you recommend to read the latency numbers and I will post the results.

Bottom line, VDJ should run on a decent laptop hardware without skipping, and without people having to poke around a default OS installation to kill processes, disable stuff, etc. Other DJ Apps can do it (see my previous post about UltraMixer). In the worst case, VDJ should state clearly what can cause the problem, what needs to be disabled, etc. I wonder what are the VDJ's test machines?!?

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 10:05 am
@ pmarcovi: I guess that's just what you can expect from virtual DJ... I mean, no hate feelings or anything, I still think the RMX is a great controller when it works seamlessly and I enjoy DJ'ing with it... But the "when it works seamlessly"-part seems to be the problem, I just feel like I can't rely on my equipment anymore and that's essential for a DJ... Even when I use a dual core pc, I'm still gonna think that the skipping might just start one day at a random moment without any reason.

And trust me, my pc isn't just some kind of craphole with all kinds of spam on it, I'll bet that more than 50% of all vdj users don't even clean up their pc as much as I do... I also have to agree with pmarcovi; why do other dj programs don't have these issues? I used to have an MKII, but I also had problems with it and when I was updating the drivers, it simply crashed and the lights never went back on when I connected it to a pc... I heard/hoped that this RMX had a more basic version of VDJ delivered with the package and that this would make the problems go away...

Of course there are people who never had problems with VDJ and maybe I'm just unlucky, but to me, virtual dj doesn't have a reputation of reliablility anymore and that's really a shame, because the RMX is one of the best (most complete) MIDI's out there...

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 12:52 pm
Processes shouldnt affect the software...the reason why i disabled a core is because I noticed exactly when the mixer crashes. I used tcv's with the RMX, and everytime I get very busy cutting and switching song very fast...flatline. I figured it was a power issue, istant processes in the software require more a lil more CPU usage, more power. Therefor, after galopping on several forums, I decided to kill one of the cores lol. I wonder if that wil solve it for the bcd3000...

by the way, does anybody know how often you gotta be around here so you can unlock the "secret" forums ? lol

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 4:42 pm
80%