Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PUB Quiz software is there any?? to use with virtual dj ?? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi Guys

ok a little strange I know....

but hey, I offer karaoke, I am a great club DJ as well as rocking 80's rare groove, soul and funk etc.

and there have been a few pubs I have working in recently advertising pub quizes !!

ok I know at this point, most of you are now saying " what is Johnny on!! "

please hold on...

this got me thinking

1) I use virtual DJ, (great, love it)
2) I have no shortage of music (from most decades)
3) I use a video system, for my karaoke, with monitors and lcd wall projectors

so far not a bad setup.....

all thats missing for a new GENERATION OF ADVANCED pub quiz is a few general knowllege / music questions, (also with answers required)

Now if you could but the whole lot together (music, video, questions, picture, etc)

and play it all in virtual DJ (I don't know, mpeg video or something)

what a great quiz system you could shine on the walls and hear through the speakers.

is there any software or pakages out there and are there any question & answer software for general knowllege / music
(uk please) and this is very country specific.

any help appreciated

Regards

John

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 1:18 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
used to do a few pub quizzes some years back and played the questions through 2 dvd players onto the bar screens, the punters really loved it and of course it shuts the smart mouth up you always got of "can't hear ya" always got a laugh when shooting straught back "whats the matter you blind as well" just wished i was using vdj back then, there are packages out there you can buy but why bother when you can sit down and produce your own individual quiz for your area.

need any help just pm me and we see what we can come up with.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 1:27 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Shouldn't be hard for me to code a plugin that you feed a list of questions and answers into, then optionally to each question you attach a media file. Then use a keyboard shortcut and/or GUI button on the plugin to move from question to question... displaying the text and media with each question.... then you could run through again displaying the answers too.

Would make a pub quiz much easier wouldn't it?

I should really stop stitching myself up with these projects shouldn't I?

More importantly, since I'm not working tonight, shouldn't I be out on the piss?!

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 3:48 pm
Hi Guys

First of all let me say thanks for your feedback

And both sound very encouraging

Scott the plugin would be fantasic, also making virtuad DJ even more impressive !!

Do you think it can be done ??

and tayla, yes would love to be intouch with your ideas and info on pub quizzes
I will contact you soon, thanks

Thanks Guys

John

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 6:34 pm
Hi Scot

could the plugin be structured in away that you can pre design / save a number of quizzez (music, images, video, question answers etc)

i.e. so it can be used over and over again for different pubs

I don't know quite how at the moment

but it would be good if the user can pre design each question for the quiz, may be in a table (for each question) and then choose type of media for that question, and finally enter the answer

i.e.

just text or music or image or video etc.

and then move on to the next question

and when finished save that quiz set

it may be even easier to design the quiz in a remote file, say an excel file and then the quiz plugin for virtual dj then points to a set of external files.

any ideas ?

regards

john

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 6:51 pm
one of hundreds of your projects scott i think you are working on is a notepad plug in for one of the guys, so would it not be easier/quicker for you to maybes run it within that,

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 3:01 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
tayla wrote :
one of hundreds of your projects scott,

I know Paul, bet he got coding coming out of his ears, lol

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 3:19 am
tayla wrote :
one of hundreds of your projects scott i think you are working on is a notepad plug in for one of the guys, so would it not be easier/quicker for you to maybes run it within that,

I actually half wrote this plugin last night because I couldn't sleep lol

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 7:16 am
If you don't want to get too elaborate I would think you could scroll your questions using text 2d plug-in couldn't you?

If you want something a bit more classy and flashy (and takes more time and preperation), I did trivia for 2 years in Colorado doing the questions as a "slideshow" from Winamp (this was years before VDJ had video going) and have recently started here in Arizona. I create jpg "question slides" in Corel Photopaint (photoshop will also work), bring them in to Sony Vegas to turn them into short mp4 clips that loop when I display them using the clipbank (I couldn't get the jpgs to work with clipbank).

I just make copies of clipbank (call them clip bank 1, clipbank 2, etc.) and you can preload 16 questions into each copy of clipbank before your night starts (we do 30 questions per night so 2 copies works for me and my original one remains intact for visuals). I works great and I never have to leave VDJ during my show!

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 7:24 am
neat solution .... way better if you can do it all inside , and don't have to leave vdj

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 12:09 pm
dj-e-lectric wrote :
If you don't want to get too elaborate I would think you could scroll your questions using text 2d plug-in couldn't you?

Text2D was written by djcel, not me, and I've got something in mind to make this work :)

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 12:54 pm
Hey SBDJ is that your silohette they use for those of us that don't put up our picture?

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 6:29 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
dj-e-lectric wrote :
Hey SBDJ is that your silohette they use for those of us that don't put up our picture?

I get what you're saying, lol

it's a close match ain't it

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 6:31 am
nicely noticed, not only is scott a super whizz kid, he is a male model as well, lol, guys got everything...

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 6:35 am
PMSL!

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 7:01 am
I put my trivia in to power point and turn on the slide show button. It look fantastic and profesional and easier to create.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 10:44 am
Hi Scott

any news with your super cool plug in >>??

regards

John

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 10:57 pm
I wouldn't hold your breath, I've got a to-do list as long as the earth is round.

Seriously though, it's on the list. My current VDJ list is (not in order):

* Finish Xponent mapper v1.11
* Finish notepad plugin
* Investigate reported bug in slideshow plugin
* Finish updated version of Scrolltext
* Quiz plugin
* Start porting my video plugins to Mac

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 3:24 am
Until there is a possible plugin use Al Morales "Game Show Plus"... I've been using it for 2 years 1 time a week, probably the most interavtive trivia software available. I built 10 wireless pods for each table for people to hit to see who gets to answer 1st, etc. My pods are modifiable through the interface utility so I can make all 4 switches on the pods to work seperately or as a team. The program is very user friendly and cost about 179 us when I purchased it. The questions I use I get from various quiz sites and copy paiste into the program. In total I spend 3 hours a week to create a 2 hour trivia show.

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 8:34 am
time spent is probably about right, and the clients initially moan because the size of the fee, but when you explain it also reflects time spent preparing it, they are more understanding, but when they see your work up on the screens for the first time they realise it is money well spent.... hopefully

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 10:24 am
83%