Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How about looking in the manual.... CSTOLL - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

CSTOLL - In the last few messages I see twice where you tell people to look in the manual and then give the answer... It would be faster for you to answer if you didn't keep writing "Look in the manual..." . We are all aware about the manual but we are used to using the forum search for answers as most of the time it's quicker. instead, why don't you just tell us what page the answer is on... The search doesn't seem to be working the way the old one did! If you want us to look in the manual all the time close the forum or just let someone else answer the message without the message(and sarcasm)... we all know about the manual, it comes with the program but sometimes as I mentioned in my previous e-mail asking for help, I was not able to look as time was not simply available to spend in the manual. I knew I would get an answer faster using the forum search but that failed. I use to get answers using the search feature but the new forum doesn't seem to be up to par like the old one was. not sure but I think the "AND" command doesn't work anymore. BTW - someone else has complained about the same search problem.

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 8:09 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Funk, were as I agree with part of what your saying the simple response is actually an old saying. If you give a man a fish he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish he eats for life.....Cstoll is teaching you all how to fish......

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 8:21 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have spent hours writing the manual and it's there.
And if you use the search in the Adobe Reader you will find things very quickly - quicker than the forums.
And once I get the NEW wiki reloaded with the manual, I will be telling people to look there.

Sometimes a little bit of work can go a long way ... use what is available to you and you might be more successful in the long run.

Cheers...

Posted Thu 28 Aug 08 @ 8:23 pm
teach a man to read a manual and he'll automatically get confused by the big words.

apparently alot of people don't know the manual is tucked away in the VDJ Wiki.

teach a man to fish and well...

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 2:45 am
So, not only do you want Cstoll to catch the food, cook it, serve it, cut it in small little pieces, but you are upset that he ask you to put it on the fork, and lift your arm 2 feet to you mouth? That is just horrible, Cstoll. You have done all this, why can't you go the extra step, and just put the food in the guys mouth for him? I am shocked, no.... appalled.......no.......dismayed (wait, hold it, I'm not sure what I am). Oh, I know, I'm astounded that you don't drop everything that you are doing, and spoon feed this guy all the info that he so desperately needs.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 3:17 am
funkmasterfrank wrote :

"Look in the manual..." . We are all aware about the manual

Even if there is a manual, its harder for the user to go read all that, than for someone to put the answer at the forum ...
And the user might already even have read the manual, and still wonder how.

And I believe giving answers at the forum, contribute more to a community and forum spirit, than leading everyone away to a manual.
Its easier to give follow-up questions, and for other to find the answers later on, when given here.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 3:33 am
you all have valid arguments regarding how and where a user may get answers to a question.

Contributing answers in a forum does increase the spirit and comraderie among us DJs. Sometimes searching the forum doesn't render a useful response depending on a number of variables: poor search keywords, unclear original answers, faulty search engine, etc. in that case, sure, ask away!

I do think it needs to be said that anyone who thinks themselves as a professional DJ should take pride and care in their services to provide the highest level of performance for their clients/patrons. That being said, acquiring such a great tool as Virtual DJ requires a great deal of dedication to learning the ins and out of the program. It is the heart of our system after all. So buy a 6 pack and sit infront of your computer for a few hours one afternoon and read the manual. Make a sandwich, have a few smokes, whatever you need to do to make it through the reading.

Knowing the manual will make you that much more powerful as a master of your DJ booth, and your dancefloor.

Hmmm, now that i've thought that out and explained it, I guess I should take my own advise and get off the forums and finally read the manual myself!

Cheers lads

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 3:52 am

hehe ;)

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 3:57 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I believe there are two schools of thought on this.

Now more than ever there is a wealth of information available with new search engines coupling the most versatile dj software known with every possible hardware interface available supported.
The problem is that some people don't want to spend their time searching for answers when they can just ask.

The secondary problem is that because of the broad based support and associated problems, it takes time to answer complicated problems again and again along with the nagging little ones that demonstrate no self thought before posting. We've all done it.

As teamers we get this compounded on us in eservice from all walks of djs in all languages.
So Chris has been very proactive in education and of more technical service to more people than anybody I know, Cel to.

We all need to read the manual and more than once.
There are things that I am still discovering only becuase they are things I don't normally use.
The manual has been so much better for these past versions and along with software they have grown.
Its a shame to ignore it or think you are getting blown off without an answer when someone is doing you a favor really by suggesting it.

Most people don't know its even on their systems, we have to tell them when they come looking for it.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 6:37 am
Great responses everyone... what manual did you find all your answers in?? LOL

"TearEmUp" Philosophy Monthly - magazine
"CSTOLL" OPRAH - magazine
"wildcountryclub" The Fortune Cookie Weekly - magazine
"A Man and His Music" The Daily Drama Queen" - news paper
"dj-in-norway" Life Positive - magazine

Again, LOL - I've been on this forum for a few years now... keep up the good(great) work but guys, seriously get a life, actually go out and meet people "face to face". Get your faces out of your laptops for a moment... Spend time with your family... yeh, they still exist. You need the vacation away from your computer. Bet your wife or girlfriend will agree. Oh, and tell them I said "HI"

Now on the floor LOL...

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 7:06 am
WoW to be compared to Oprah ... hmmm ... guess that makes me one of the most influential people in the world of VirtualDJ!! And you should all join my book club - this month " VirtualDJ v5 User Guide" Get it while it's HOT!!!!

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 7:18 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
lol... made a bit of a change just for you chris
<
< see what i mean, hehe
<

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 7:35 am
tayla wrote :
lol... made a bit of a change just for you chris
<
< see what i mean, hehe
<

Yeah, hate to have you get associated with me ... I could ruin your good name ... LOL

But you really didn't have to .. btw, did you read the manual to learn how to do that ? Looks difficult ...

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 7:47 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
lol, just stuck a how to on the forums just in case no one read the manual, hehe

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 7:56 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Manuals are like instructions, and who reads them, nobody. lol

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 7:58 am
jimmy b wrote :

Guess that's why the wheels on everyone's bicycle fall off ...

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 8:54 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
cstoll wrote :
jimmy b wrote :

Guess that's why the wheels on everyone's bicycle fall off ...

LOL. that's why are my stuff falls apart, lol

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 10:01 am
funkmasterfrank wrote :

"dj-in-norway" Life Positive - magazine

hehe... yeah, trying ..

funkmasterfrank wrote :

... keep up the good(great) work but guys, seriously get a life, actually go out and meet people "face to face". Get your faces out of your laptops for a moment...

Yeah totally, if things gets to weary at forum and such , go out have a coke on the balcony, or go have some fun .. cheer up...
Its healthy.. ;)

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 10:07 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Here is another good reason to get comfortable with the manual. Lets say your at a job and have no access to the internet. Knowing what is in the manual and how to use would be your best resource......

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 10:09 am
when i first downloaded the trial version way back when, the first thing i did was start the software and then played around with it for awhile pressing buttons and generally just messing around with it. i don't think i even opened the manual for 3 or 4 days. know why? the version out at the time was 3.4 and it was just so easy to use i didn't even think to look at it!

people not looking at the manual because they're scared of manuals? happens. how many times have you opened a manual for something simple and found out it was written by rabid squirrels that had defiled a dictionary? the best part about the VDJ manuals so far has been that they've been mostly written in as simple a way as possible. easy to understand as long as anyone gets over manual-phobia. maybe that should also be listed as a selling point on the product page?

Posted Fri 29 Aug 08 @ 12:38 pm
40%