Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: UK Video Performance Licence, who from?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

av1613PRO InfinityMember since 2007
What's occurring?

I am sure I got some random E-mail about six months ago telling me somebody has created an " all in " DJ's VPL which also allowed format changing from DVD to M-peg / AVI etc...

I have googled mcps, vpl, ppl and haven't seen what I think exists, does it?

Even better has anybody put together a simply blanket licence to legalise all the features VDJ has ' inc Karaoke ( or as I like to call it..... Kack-e-oke ) its costing me a fortune in separate licenses.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 12:12 pm
Nobody here?

Seriously anybody?

Not so much as a point in the right direction?

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 3:50 am
OK, for anybody who gives a squirrel's nuts about protecting the industry that pays there wages!

There is no legal way in the UK to transfer DVD music Videos to any other high quality format.... FACT!

Options..?

1) Stop using VDJ / Cue / PCDJ or any other, what appears to be cowboy promoting software.
Going by the amount of f***ing kids telling me they ARE a D.J because they have an illegal copy of VDJ & laptop??????
That's really not a bad idea!!!

2) Find a legal music site and pay to download p*ss poor quality videos. I have yet to even find a site to even do that. Anybody?

3) Members of NADJ or such need to shout for a total blanket licence, the same way Produb was introduced for Music & Karaoke.

P.S, Fully loaded pro rack mount PC + back up external hard drive, VDJ, DMC2, DJIO sound card, all leads and a free pen to exchange for some decent pro DVD players & good av mixer.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 7:47 am
It sounds like the UK is going through what Canada went through about 15 years ago - when Cassette tapes were the media of choice.

Small, portable and most of all - easy to duplicate.

There are 2 types of Public audio/visual display licensing boards in Canada.

1) SOCAN
2) AVLA

SOCAN - My neighbors in the United States have something similar (ASCAP) and truthfully they are very much linked. This is for SONGWRITERS / PERFORMERS and does not apply to DJ's it oversees artist protection /sets royalty rates etc. VENUES are on the hook for collecting SOCAN fees. The only time it should effect you as a DJ is if the venue passes this fee along to you or your client.

AVLA - This is the Body that allows for transfer of legal music either to a secondary CD, or to a hard drive. This is the License for DJ's. Every DJ company I am familiar with - if they are legal, will have a Hard drive license. But in reality the License can be an unessential expense. If you buy music from an AVLA approved source, Then the Need for a second license is negated.

Example:
Buying CD/DVD's from a Store - AVLA is necessary (Yes I know you bought it legally - not the discussion here)

Leaseing CD/DVD's form Promo Only Canada or similar service (there are about 3) - AVLA is not necessary as you have paid for the license in the lease payment.
However you would require an AVLA Digital License to transfer these formats to harddrive.

Downloading MP3's or VIDEO - Currently there are only 2 digital download stores in Canada that are completely AVLA approved (according to they're literature) If you use this type of source EXCLUSIVELY then an AVLA is not necessary, again it is included in your fees. iTunes is not an approved download store. it is for personal use only.

Investigation.

AVLA will occasionally send out Private investigators to various bars/hotels ballrooms to check if the DJ's are licensed. If they come to your event and you do not have a license they are obligated to report you to the record company who then will complain to the RCMP, for criminal investigation.

They can not shut down the event.
They cannot seize your hard drive/gear etc on site.

Personally I joined a DJ association and purchased a Hard drive License. I also Purchase my Videos from Promo Only (and other legal sources, aka Stores) and I only use an AVLA approved Download source.

It's cheaper to pay the fees now than pay the fines and associated legal fees trying to save my business if ever investigated.

You people in UK, might need to come up with something similar.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 9:45 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It's a bloody Minefield, with different Organizations want a piece of you.

One mistake and BOOM.

Does your bleeding head in!!!!!!!

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 11:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)