Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: laptops picks 08

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK guys.

I posted this on another site but seeing that this is the software that I use I thought I should just ask you guys directly as well.

I want to either sell or leave the big boy roy at home in the rack and just use a laptop now. I have a lot of gigs starting in a few months that I have to fly to. What do I look for and where do I find it?

I am doing video with single timecode via a maya44usb. I also use several other usb devices. So I need something that will bang it out and have more to go.

Thanks for any help with it guys.

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 10:01 pm

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 7:31 am

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 8:24 am
DJSpecter shared memory Graphic Integrated Card is not a good buy stay away from Integrated Graphic Card

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 2:02 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
DJ Soulman, that tope model looks cool. I was going to purchase another laptop but after the AC DJ Expo and talking to boys I'm now afraid. I do mostly all video. They said there are issues with external hardrives and video? Now I don't know what to do. I was thinking of going back to a tower again.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 3:10 pm
there is nothing wrong with external hardrives you can use USB or eSATA which is better

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 3:19 pm
i also do all video and im using and acer extensa 4420 i bought from best buy for 500 bucks! i have to keep a laptop cooler under it but i performs flawlessly every night! I use a western digital (my book) terabite external drive and i use the usb connection! NO PROBLEMS HERE

hope that helps

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 7:56 pm
DJ Doc Z wrote :
DJ Soulman, that tope model looks cool. I was going to purchase another laptop but after the AC DJ Expo and talking to boys I'm now afraid. I do mostly all video. They said there are issues with external hardrives and video? Now I don't know what to do. I was thinking of going back to a tower again.

Talking from experience, I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 6000 which I bought off ebay over 3 years ago, so, it was second hand when I bought it, although it was still under warranty.

I have used it for nothing but DJing 3 nights per week over that time. I was using PCDJ FX originally then moved over to Traktor 3 for a couple of years then started using VirtualDJ for video several months ago. It only has a 1.6 mobile processor with 1 gig of RAM and I use an external 500gb Maxtor hard drive. It uses Shared Graphics and I have no issues with it doing 80% video for over 11 hours per week. I do not have any video freezing issues, even with shared graphics.

I don't really need to update, I just feel that I'm pushing my current laptop to it's limits. I feel it would be wise to get a more powerful laptop that is working much more comfortably. I want to progress further with a 'live' camera input, also I stopped using Sonique graphics as it was pushing the processor constantly to its limits.

Incidently I've used nothing but laptops (3) since 2002 for all my residencies and I have been a self employed professional DJ since 2002. DJing with the laptops has been my only income (typing this on my previous gigging laptop).

Cheers
Les

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 9:53 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Doc,

only the load speed is effected by external drives, for this very reason I run a fw 800 drive with all my videos on it. I don't have any problems however same drive running usb the load speed is considerably slower.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 11:30 pm
have you try eSATA?

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 12:08 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I tired it, hated the plug and the cable, fw800 for me thanks.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 1:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)