Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Controllers and Video Questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anybody doing video mixing using any external controllers? I have looked (until my eyes are bloodshot and ready to popo out of my head) but can't find any except the DMC2 that has a video crossfade function. Does anybody know if there are any?

I kind of like the m-audio xponent but can't find any video functionality. Can the "left/right" mouse buttons (buttons numbers 17 & 18 on page 7 of the manual) be programmed as video fader buttons for VDJ when in "midi" mode?

Also when an external controller is hooked up do you still retain full mouse control of the software if you need it?

Lastly if anybody is using the DMC2 or the Xponent for video let me know your feedback please.

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 5:14 am
there is also the dac3 controller.. Torque ... Total Control.. Vestex etc

Planning to do video mixing.... you can also use TCCds or TC Vinyls along with a midi controller to push other functions in VDJ

The X-Session Pro

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSessionPro-main.html

all buttons are programmable to drive any function in VDJ

and goes for probably US$120 or less maybe even US$99

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 7:38 am
digitalwiz wrote :
there is also the dac3 controller.. Torque ... Total Control.. Vestex etc

Planning to do video mixing.... you can also use TCCds or TC Vinyls along with a midi controller to push other functions in VDJ

The X-Session Pro

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSessionPro-main.html

all buttons are programmable to drive any function in VDJ

and goes for probably US$120 or less maybe even US$99

yeah, I know there are dozens of controllers out there but none ever mention video except the DMC2.....so on the M-Audio Xponent then I can program ANY button for whatever function I want or do they have to be programmed for the functions the manual says they are for?

I want something with jog wheels and buttons for the "round and round and tactile functionality" but don't want to lug around turntables (did that from 1980-1994 when their was no choice) don't want to lug around cd players (did that from 1994-1999 until bpm studio came along), this is 2008 and shouldn't have to break my already old man's back using that out dated old school equipment to get the functionality of my space aged software! This is also a recession (bordering on depression) and I shouldn't have to refinance my already depreciating home for something like the NS7.

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 8:44 am
check to see if the controllers u look at are midi mappable... if it is
then it should be able to map function in VDJ

if the fader is mappable.. then it will work for videos

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 9:25 am

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 10:04 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
Anybody doing video mixing using any external controllers?

Im using the Denon HC-4500 with the mixer dnX-500. With the mixer X-500 attached to the hc-4500, you can do video crossfade with the crossfader of the mixer, and the audio with the channel faders. Incredible quality and superb sound card.

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 2:50 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I also have a question to add... I know I can split the crossfader for video and audio. I use the RMX, and when I split the crossfader it controls the audio. I want it to control the video, but don't know if that's possible. Any advice? Is it possible?

Posted Tue 12 Aug 08 @ 5:25 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
dj-e-lectric wrote :
... if anybody is using the DMC2 or the Xponent for video let me know your feedback please.

I currently use the DMC2 and an M-audio X-session (not Pro) : http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/xsession_adv_user_eng.pdf
I use the DMC like normal and use the crossfader on the X-Session for Audio. I then map one of the dials on the X-session to be used as a video crossfader. That also gives me a bunch of other dials and buttons that I map to various other functions of VDJ.

That works fairly well, but I am always on the lookout for a better way to do it.

I have used the Evolution UC-33 in the past with the DMC, rotating it 90 degrees and mapping the channel faders as crossfaders for audio, video, bass, mid-range, and treble, etc. But that was a bit bulky and its faders a little too stiff to qualify as real useful crossfaders.

Posted Wed 13 Aug 08 @ 1:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)