Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [vdj E-News] Yahoo! Music Going Dark, Taking Keys With It

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
From - http://entertainment.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/25/0659200&from=rss

"The bad dream of DRM continues. Yahoo e-mailed its Yahoo! Music Store customers yesterday, telling them it will be closing for good — and the company will take its DRM license key servers offline on September 30, 2008. Sure, it's bad news and yet another example of the sheer lobotomized brain-deadness that has characterized music DRM, but the reaction of most music fans will be: 'Yahoo had an online music store?'... DRM makes things harder for legal users; it creates hassles that illegal users won't deal with; it (often) prevents cross-platform compatibility and movement between devices. In what possible world was that a good strategy for building up the nascent digital download market? The only possible rationales could be 1) to control piracy (which, obviously, it has had no effect on, thanks to the CD and the fact that most DRM is broken) or 2) to nickel-and-dime consumers into accepting a new pay-for-use regime that sees moving tracks from CD to computer to MP3 player as a 'privilege' to be monetized."

Additional commentary - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080724-drm-still-sucks-yahoo-music-going-dark-taking-keys-with-it.html

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 7:38 am
FACISTS!!

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 8:43 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
shit, they lost the lot, poor sods

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 11:29 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 11:36 am
well all i can see happening there will be a lot more using "net searchers" to hide any activity that they don't want anyone to know about

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 11:41 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
They don't realize that many people buy a vinyl, CD, audio file with DRM and just record it while playing, then put it on P2P, just like crackers (who buy a software, crack it, and share it).

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 12:05 pm
If yahoo can pull the plug on your music so can anyone....including Venue Vj, Amazon, Rhapsody, et all that use any kind of protection.

They all say they will never pull the plug on your music or video but here is an example that they lie and WILL do it if it suits them.

Now maybe everyone will see why I continually suggest the boycott of ALL services using DRM or any other "protection" scams, if nobody buys it they will get rid of it!!!!

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 6:01 pm
but it has already been pointed out and i can imagine anyone with an ounce of sense to them will have made back up files of the vids they have paid for, if they haven't dip sticks spring to mind

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 8:26 pm
dj-e-lectric wrote :
If yahoo can pull the plug on your music so can anyone....including Venue Vj, Amazon, Rhapsody, et all that use any kind of protection.

!

Amazon mp3 is DRM free, at least it was last time I bought anything there. Now that Napster and Rhapsody are selling straight mp3 I buy from them. DRM ain't so bad in my humble when you're only paying $15 a month for unlimited downloading, especialy when they play so well in VDJ. It's annoying when they pull the license from a track, but at that price what more can you expect?;^]

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 8:54 pm
It's not the price, it's the fact that something I purchased can be rendered useless AT ANY TIME the seller wants to......You are right, I had heard Amazon went DRM free a awhile ago (I also noticed they just snnounce a HUGE profit increase over last quarter)!

The problems with DRM has NOTHING to do with price, the problems are that not only can they pull the plug whenever they want, and they restrict where, when and how you play your music & videos but you CAN NOT edit them in sony vegas, adobe audition, etc. and to me this restriction of use is unacceptable.....not being able to edit to make the media club playable is like Dodge telling a NASCAR team they can't change the engine from factory showroom specs when they go racing with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sat 26 Jul 08 @ 4:48 pm
well thats what makes promo only such a logical choice, theres no DRM and they've been around for a long time. its very unlikly that they will shutdown anytime soon. but as far as the DRM music is concerned if some one was to go there other than a dj (just the averange joe) they had every ention of cracking the drm before next song was done downloading, but the dj that goes there they already know that this could happen and know that they cant crack the DRM, leagally that is.
and this is why i dont by downloads, everything i have came on cds first most got played/ripped once and got put up for safe keeping and them all goes on the externaldrive and all is well

Posted Sat 26 Jul 08 @ 7:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)