Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lighting? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

SC300PRO InfinityMember since 2008
What kind of lighting do you have? I own two Double Derby's, but I want to upgrade to LED, any suggestions? Which light will I get the most out of?

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 12:05 pm
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have one of these and they are awesome.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 9:42 pm
chibieCUE userMember since 2007
Revo III is awesome...

Also, look at a couple of Chauvet COLORStrips.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 11:08 pm
adj revos or chavuet vues FTMFW

Posted Thu 10 Jul 08 @ 12:13 am
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
All my light shows are from ADJ and never have a problem with it.
For the fact that i'm into mobile, i used all small and handy things like revo III, sunray led and x-color led. And not to forget the emerald sky x 5 pcs. which i like best.
For a bigger occasions i reinforce the show with quad gem x 4 pcs.

All DMX though...

Posted Thu 10 Jul 08 @ 10:05 am
scribe_oner wrote :
What kind of lighting do you have? I own two Double Derby's, but I want to upgrade to LED, any suggestions? Which light will I get the most out of?

You want colorfill... (since you already have two "effects") 4 LED pars would be perfect or somthing like the Colorstrip..

Posted Thu 10 Jul 08 @ 1:15 pm
radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Can anyone advise on a good mobile lighting set up for use at fashion shows? Thanks.

Posted Tue 30 Sep 08 @ 10:17 am
DGeePRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi All,

I just had my first wedding with my new LED lights. They were great.

I have (6) ADJ PAR36 LED fixtures on 2 stands, (1) ADJ Revo III and (1) Microh LED Bar II.

These are all controlled from a Behringer Eurolight LC2412 controller. They looked wonderful and worked mighty fine.

-DGee

Posted Tue 30 Sep 08 @ 12:16 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
radiofc wrote :
Can anyone advise on a good mobile lighting set up for use at fashion shows? Thanks.

I don't think I've ever used lighting for a fashion show. Most of the one's I do are in well lit rooms so the ladies can see the clothes. Also, the designers may not want lighting on their clothes that could take away from the appeal. Still, I'm guessing you're asking because they want lighting. I guess if the lights were down in the room and the stage was lit up, you could put lighting on the crowd. I don't want to assume too much, though. Do you have any more details about how the room will be set up?

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:02 am
BTW, I own the Revo III and it's awesome!!!

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:02 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
radiofc, how professional do you want to go with this and what is your budget, if you take a look at some shows you only have the catwalk area lit up, you will also need some follow spots, lighting desk, fx lights, etc,

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:12 am
tayla wrote :
radiofc, how professional do you want to go with this and what is your budget, if you take a look at some shows you only have the catwalk area lit up, you will also need some follow spots, lighting desk, fx lights, etc,

Good point Tayla... didn't think about the follow spots. My mind was all wrapped up in that Revo vid and using effect lighting only.

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:20 am
no probs, used to be a lighting jock for rock bands many years back before even the moon was formed, and i don't mean keith either, ahhh memories... i've had a few... lol

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:30 am
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
"used to be a lighting jock for rock bands"

Bill Haley And the Comets came before the moon.

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:37 am
lol, you've heard the term candle power, well in my day it didn't mean the strength of the light... lol

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:42 am
Lighting?

High-End Studio Color 575 wash
High-End Trackspot
Robe Spot 250 XT
Martin Mac250 Krypton spot
Martin Mac250 Krypton wash

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

For filling a room with light, try Showtec Pixeltracks :)

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 6:39 am
My lighting setup is a bit cheaper than most listed here, but it does it's job pretty well;^]

2x American DJ ls70 LED chase light packages (one is on the way)
Chauvet Abyss Jr
Chauvet Oceana
2x pinspots
12" mirror ball
American DJ Snap Shot 2 strobe (soon to be adding a second)
2x Chauvet Color Bank 4's (rarely gets used now)
Eliminator 8 channel power center

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 8:19 am
radiofcPRO InfinityMember since 2006
thanks for all the replies folks.

tayla wrote :

I spoke to the lady who is running the event at the weekend and what she is talking about is the lights that illuminate the catwalk - non coloured lighting i.e. just plain white - for this event she can hire the lights but I think I need to advise her on the type she needs and then if I have to do more for her I will look to purchase.

Regarding budget I would say right now she would be thinking €200-€500 ($270-$675) but really I think it depends on what you guys come back and recommend because I believe with lighting it can go to anything..

The hotel function rooms would be typically a maximum of 300 people.

Please let me know if that's clear enough or you need any more details in order to make some model suggestions.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 10:23 am
probably the best idea is give a schematic of the area you want to light to a local lighting hire company and take the stress away from you and any pointy fingers if it goes awry,

anyway on that budget i don't think she will get much in the way of hardware to save to the next show, you should be looking for a small light desk/controller light cans stands/truss/ goalpost, i would also look to have some form of back lighting of your audience for when the house lights go down, plus this may seem unusual but get a single coloured rope light to go round the sides of the catwalk it will give a good effect as well as helping the models keep their barings on stage, don't want no one falling off because of the glare of lights in their eyes and making a claim,

these will all need to be controllable to give it that professional look and feel to the show, just don't know the prices over there but i think she may have to increase her budget a bit, but i could be wrong, have a great show.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 10:49 am
here ya go radiofc:

This is a typical fashion show thrust stage.

Legend: Red lines: Curtain / graphic scrim to hide the quick change area.
Black Lines: Lighting bars

For a fashion show the most important thing you have to remember is SIGHT LINES. Most Hotels will have hanging points to hang standard lighting bars from the ceiling. This gets the lighting trees off the ground and in the air out of the way of photographers (more important than you as far as the designer is concerned)

To hang on those bars I would suggest some:
DMX LED PAR CANS - you have the advantage of multiple colours and they're quite bright
DMX lighting effects - I'd put 1 or 2 per lighting bar If there's pre-show music you can play with those lights and then turn them off for the actual parade.

options to consider:
Speaker position
Your going to have to really think about your speaker position. Your MC usually hangs out on one of the sides of the stage and you want to position your sound to prevent feedback when they move the wireless mic in front of the speaker with no idea that covers immediate feedback.

Wireless mics - how many are you going to need?

Music videos
They look amazing in front of the dress screens on stage & during the show you can get a business card or logo from the designer and scan it into your computer and display it on screen. Nice touch

These are some basic ideas
Hope this helps.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 11:25 am
83%