Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best way to get music?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SC300PRO InfinityMember since 2008
I get my music from CD's and Limewire, but now that I'm going to dedicate myself to DJing I want to get my music the right way and not spend alot of money on CD's or get bootlegged music from Limewire. I was wondering how many of you VDJ users get your music and where can I get music and spend enough money but not alot of money..........oh and what do you djs do when you don't have a song request? Just wondering.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 12:25 pm
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 12:50 pm
Personally, I use JonesTM PrimeCuts MP3 & Smooth Jazz.
You may also know them from their previous name, TM Century!

For remixes, I've been sticking with SelectMix as they don't go too far off the original versions!
(My area doesn't care for lots of extras)

-=Woody=-

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 12:54 pm
Go here, and here, and here, and here.

I am connected to Rhapsody at all my gigs, and can stream any song they have.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 12:56 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

There's Napster and Yahoo aswell

But stay away from Itunes more trouble than it's actually worth.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:17 pm
A Man-

How do you ensure connectivity at every event?
Do you use a broadband card from AT&T, Sprint, etc?

-=Woody=-

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:21 pm
wedjlouisville wrote :
A Man-

How do you ensure connectivity at every event?
Do you use a broadband card from AT&T, Sprint, etc?

-=Woody=-

I use my Motorola Q Smart-phone, as a modem. I use Verizon. I tried the cards, but they are limited at what they do. With the phone, I can do so much more, get on the web, text, run apps, etc. You can even receive calls while connected, (I don't answer, plus I have a second cell phone if I need to call). I have not had any problems connecting anywhere.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:30 pm
Very slick. Sprint has the "Phone As Modem" plan for my Blackberry, but it is an additional $10-15 per month.
However, I really do like the idea of continuous connectivity. Just might have to try it out :)

Thx for the info.

-=Woody=-

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:52 pm
Sure beats the rate they charge at the hotels, for broadband.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 2:16 pm
Can someone tell me how Rhapsody, Napster, and Yahoo work with VDJ.(and the internet on your phone) Whats the difference between the three? How do you guys have everything hooked up.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 8:04 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

I can't say much for the other 2, but Napster work qiute well, I used it at the start of using VirtualDJ. The files are WMA protected files but they do play well within VirtualDJ, load faster than mp3 files btw.

I think all 3 have DRM protection in the downloaded files, but can be stripped of the DRM bit and converted to mp3, with certain software apps, but of course it's illegal to do this, you do it at your own risk, you won't be being this anyway, right, lol ;)

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 8:11 pm
How much does each $ong co$t?

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 10:34 am
GraomiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I download dance music from beatport, they also have a sister site that has urban music. its not a streaming job but the quality is good (320bit) and the selection is huge.

Prices range from $1 to about $2.50 per track.

John

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 10:52 am
I think yahoo's service & Rhapsody are one in the same. I use both Rhapsody and Napster to go services, and all the tracks play fine in VDJ. Just don't get in the habit of playing tracks at a gig you haven't played in awhile, because sometimes artists and music companies will pull the license stopping the track from working. Best to test your tracks before a gig, and of course songs d'loaded at the gig won't have this concern.

I'm interested to know how to stream the Rhapsody tracks through VDJ, that would be an enourmous help. I'm gonna look into getting the Q when my current Verizon contract expires also, sounds like a sound investment;^]

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 11:01 am
I use a desktop and a laptop when I play. I am online with the laptop, and the output from there to the mixer. I simply search for a track, and play it in Rhapsody. If I know in advance, I can do these at home, and they are added to the library. This way they are linked, and are ready at the gig. I guess I could try this with the gig machine, and have Rhapsody come out of the on-board sound card. I will try this and see if it taxes the machine too hard. I will let you know.

Rhapsody charges $0.89 for a song, but I don't buy it, I just stream it. Unless it is a song I can't get from one of my other services. One thing I learned the hard way was, that what you have in your library on one machine, is just on that machine. I searched for all this music the night before a gig, on my main machine. Got to the gig, opened the laptop, and the tracks were not in that library. I guess Rhapsody downloads to a temp file, and as long as you are online, you have access to it, on that machine.

There is a new Motorola Q out, but I would do some research on it first. Even the one I have (Grey), has it's issues.

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 1:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)