Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ultimate Disaster...DJ DOESN'T SHOW UP!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey all, I haven't posted here in a long time. But I had to share this with everyone. It does have a happy ending! FYI, I learned/learning to DJ mix using my Gemini coffin dual cd player mixer beginners system, and my Herc DJ Console MK1/Virtual DJ V1.0x

WARNING: LONG POST...

I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and I'm Filipino-Canadian! So, like the title says, the DJ didn't show up at all....and the event was My brother's Wedding Social this past sat nite June. 7!!!! I would have guessed there was around 200+ ppl there. My bro sold over 300+social tickets.

For those that might not know what a wedding social is in Winnipeg, it's a party in celebration of the groom and bride, usually in a rented hall, community center etc....with rented/payed professional DJ/Music, with dancing, food, and a silent auction(gift prizes raffled off to be won). Almost everyone that is not invited to the actual wedding, is invited to the wedding social, Family, Friends, Acquaintances.

The Social is also for fundraising money, for the upcoming wedding, through the selling of the social tickets, silent auction tickets and alcohol/beverage tickets. Did I mention it's also to party and get stinking drunk! Lol Here's a little brief description link

http://ryanschultz.typepad.com/blog/2005/06/wedding_social.html

Originally, my bro&fiancee were looking into hiring some filipino independent DJ's. A longtime trusted guy(like an uncle)we've grown up seeing/hearing, already retired from the biz. Some othe's they didn't choose due to ethical concerns, so they couldn't find any. Since, my bro did't ask, nor did I give any advice on preference of music services, he chose to use an industry company called Roadshow Sound & Lite located here. They have 20+ years experience. They are listed on the Canadian BBB site. I should have more knowledge about such services than my bro, but I just haven't kept up with the "quality control" etc. I've been to lots of socials/events with similar companies. I have heard of stories of DJ's not showing up. But I have never been to a social/event where this has ever happened. And it's the individual dj, not the overall company to a degree.

Here's a timeline....

The social is 8pm - 1am. Us wedding entourage is setting up and getting organized at 4pm in the hall. The "DJ" guy, who we thought was the DJ shows up around 4:30 brings in and sets up the equipment on the stage, does a soundcheck of music thru the speakers, then leaves. I'm not sure if my bro asked if he was the DJ, or we should have asked. But, we thought that guy would come back, shortly at that time. And that's a mistake we did. We should have asked if he was the dj and when he would come back or what time the dj would show up at.
In the written copy contract it states the time of the event etc info. Although there was no real name on it, stating the person that should have been there to DJ.

So, it's about 7:45 and I go into the hall and I see my bro&finacee up on the stage trying to get the system on for background music etc! I'm like WTF where's the DJ? Keep in mind, we were all busy with entourage duties and stuff, ppl are starting to arrive and I'm trying to get piss drunk now(separate secret entourage alcohol we bought for ourselves served b4 legal 8pm time). It didn't occur to me that there was no music, until I saw them up on the stage. Ok, I'm thinking maybe that guy/the DJ is late. I'll get this sh*! going until they show up.

Since I'm a "wannabe bedroom house/club/techno etc dj" I have some knowledge to get the music on. I was seriously mad and concerned and obviously obligated to step up here, and I just chillaxed and made sure my bro had music playing. I have never "played out live" nor have I played/practiced social wedding type music(70/80/90 rock, 90/2000\'s top 40, country, hip-hop, r&b, ethnic and everything else under the sun). And to top it all off, I realized that THERE WAS NO HEADPHONES AND MICROPHONE!!!!! Guess the real DJ was going to bring those things. My bro immediately called the company number, and he said they would phone him back, he was upset, but not panicking.

So it's like 8pm, my bro is like forget the background music, start playing real music! All the gear was there and setup, except the 1 dance light(which wasn't even plugged in, no extension cord for it), 1 huge cd case with the pro cds and matching book with cd/song tracklists. Pretty worn used old gear. 2 JBL pro huge rectangle beatup speakers(15"/12" woofer maybe), complete boxed unit. Older Denon mixer(don't know model), Denon cd player(pretty sure it was the dn2000 F mk3)jog wheels, selectable cues, stutter search, and a QSC amp? Too bad the junk left cd tray would not stay open, when you\'d eject the cd! It would open for 3sec and then close again. The right side tray stayed open, until u closed it.

I'm not an idiot, so I understood the cd's were categorized(Country, Essential, 90/2000\'s CD1-83 etc) and in the cd tracklists book it had the cross reference section of Artists listed A-Z and Songs listed A-Z. I'm thinking to myself, I hope these ppl know that I'm not the real dj here playing music.

It's about 8:15 and our friend Jules(Deep House DJ who plays out in the clubs regularly) arrives! Yay for me. He comes up on stage and I inform him what\'s going on. And he also said that he wouldn't mix, but he would help me out! Hah, I'm like gee thanks bro. =D Still, no real dj arriving or phone call back either.

Jules was cool. He actually had to spin at a club that same night, so he had his gear with him, but it was at the bar! He did tell me, he could lend me his Sony headphones and a powerbar to hook up the dance light. But, he had to goto the bar and setup first, then come back. Another friend of my bro showed up around 9:00. He said he had the correct xlr plug mic, and went to go get it. I didn't have both the headphones and microphone till about 10pm.

The fiancee's brother Laurence was made the MC, when we finally did get the mic. He has done it alot. I made sure he announced to everyone about the situation and I wasn't the DJ! I did get applause/thanx for stepping up props =) I also did a few announcements on the mic(so and so your dad is here to pick you up, so you gots to go) lol. We were sooo behind on announcements for door prizes, drink/auction ticket buying deadlines etc.

I was doing basic social music mixing. 2-3 song genre, cut/drop mixing, fade mixing initially. And had Laurence MC talk mixing transitions to a slow song, when we had the mic. I also learned, that the cd book with the tracklists SOMETIMES don't match the actual cd! Lol, It happened early in the night when I had no headphones to cue. Accidently played a rock song after an upbeat song, and cleared the floor! When I did have the headphones, I did try "beatmixing" some of the hip-hop songs. But, without Master Tempo I could only try it in a limited way. Plus I've never practiced or played/mixed hip-hop before. I can "hear" similar complimenting songs etc. and since I like all types of music, it's something I listen for all the time.

It was crazy and stressful and fun. I had like family(old aunt's) giving me their personal cds to play, that had all the "ethnic cha cha's, line dancing" songs at the beginning of the night. I had to play all genres. I got to play country, "save a horse ride a cowboy, man I feel like a woman", I got to play classics "love shack, wild wild west", and I got to play the more modern hip-hop/r&b/charts when the younger crowd started to arrive, 11pm - 1am. But, the cd's I had didn't have some of the most recent songs, "stronger" kanye west or the latest rhianna tracks, but it had most from those artists. It was fun to play out "right thurr" chingy and "drop it like it's hot" snoop, "hypnotize, Mo Money Mo Problems, Golddigger"!!

I had Jules, female cousins/family, close friends etc up on stage helping me&visiting. I know it causes stress&mistakes, but I was just winging it and having fun. And I was learning live how it is to mix out. Jules and a few others were "really" helping me. Finding tracks and getting the cd for me. It was helpful, as I was alone without any wingman. I didn't have the expected fun of mingling with family, friends and or eating food and getting drunk and normal entourage social stuff. But it was the I was the "DJ" fun rawking the floor and dancing along. lol Everyone said I did an "awesome" job and it sounded very good. And they really couldn\'t tell I made huge mistakes. I was constantly checking the mixer VU meters and the amp clipping light. I also kept asking about the room level sound, listening etc seeing as I've never done this before.

At the end of the night, there was some nice drama. Laurence is a Winnipeg police officer, and so was one of his close friends there that night. When that young wierdo guy, who setup the system earlier, showed up at 1am, Laurence gave him an earful of the situation. There were about 20 of us entourage still there. We initially told him, since the services of the dj not showing up were not honored, we would not let him take the equipment. Without a guarantee that my bro got a full refund of the price he payed already back. He was scared as hell. And we weren't mad at this setup guy. After about 10mins, this guy had the owner of the company on his cell phone.

Laurence talked to him first, then my bro. They agreed, that if we let his employee take the equipment back. My bro would get his full refund back, when he visits the owner at his office the following Mon morning business day.

HAPPY ENDING! My bro did get his full money back! I got to experience what a real working DJ does live! I asked my bro about the no show dj. He said, the owner was told by the dj, that he "thought" he had no boolkings that evening. The owner said they fired that dj. Whatever.

It was eye opening for me, and revealed how stressful it is for a dj actually trying to have a smooth, flowing, multi-genre music mixing social wedding set accomplished for a couple hours. Especially since I have never had any experience live dj\'n, pre-dj planning and being a little drunk with no headphones and mic at the beginning, not to mention ppl asking for song requests. Everyone kept saying how happy they were with my efforts and performance. The dance floor was almost always had ppl dancing to the music. And I'm happy with how I performed, even tho I was in entourage party drinking mode/serious dj learning mode having fun.

I guess good and bad lessons were learned that night. I did kind of trash talk the company at my work today. And some of my friends did too. O well. Thanks to all who read this!

Peace,
Marlow

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 9:35 pm
u know what though..even though it sounds like its hard..as hell...which it is....its this stressful environment for me that makes it awesome..knowing that i made it thru the night and thru all that stress and the occasional WINGING it and how come the headfones aint workin when its plugged in the microphone jack..lol.... I LOVE IT ALL!!!!!

djreaper

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 11:10 pm
way to step up. sounds like a hell of a way to break in, just thrown right into the fire with no preparations.
good job!

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 9:41 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Way to go! I have read stories like that before...glad it worked out.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 12:20 pm
Sounds like u popped your cherry. Good for you.

Take it as a lesson learned and keep doing the damn thing.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 12:49 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
mini reaper wrote :
...and how come the headfones aint workin when its plugged in the microphone jack..lol....

Hehe, I've done that before... on purpose though. If your mic or headphones break down during a gig, a mic can be used as an emergency headphone and vice versa... you get some funny looks from the punters though if they see you talking down a set of cans or sticking an SM58 in your ear!

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 5:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)