Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer HDJ-1000 Headphones .... WHAT A WASTE

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This past Friday, I was invited to checkout a new club.

As I watched the DJ, I noticed he was using Pioneer’s top of the line HDJ-1000 headphones. I thought, “Cool, this DJ is all about sound quality”.
But as I watched, I noticed this guy would not touch the channel's EQ knobs at all. Only time he would touch EQ knobs was to use them as kill switches.
I’m sorry, but WHAT A WASTE of headphones.

When I was learning to mix back in the early 80’s, I hated that some records had brighter sound than others for various reasons (the record’s grooves were worn, different labels had different sound standards, one needle more worn that the other, etc, etc.). One had to learn to adjust not only the Gain but also the channel’s EQ to match the on-air track. With technology, most of the time we don’t have to adjust gains, but what the heck ever happened to matching the song’s sonic brightness (especially on Dance sets where you ride the mix for longer periods of time) ????

This DJ could use some i-pod stock earphones if all he’s going to do all night is cue songs and use the EQ knobs as kill switches.

It’s just my humble opinion. I’m not hating - is a matter of fact guys like these give me great job security.

Posted Sat 17 May 08 @ 10:16 pm
OK.....

Firstly as a dj the main reason for headphones is to be able to listen to the incoming track so you can get it matched. This meaning most times the bass in headphones are more pronouced making it easier than with "studio" headphones. The volume is loud in a club situation & I'm pretty sure if you put on ipod phones you won't hear shit.

Oh & them headphones are just flashy things made cheaply that break really easily. Pioneer are just trying to make people think they are good headphones by putting their name to it.

Finally, DJs have their own taste. Sometimes eqing is not neccesary. I myself always do it but in some genres it doesn't matter how much you eq as long as the phrasing is good. Most likly this dj was just plain crap but hey that's life

Posted Sat 17 May 08 @ 11:20 pm
Guitar Center....

Yamahahahahahhaa Headphones.....That's a funny headphone....

GC PRICE:
$34.99
MSRP: $49.99

They gave me the hook up when I bought first pair for $26 out the door. When I went back and bought the other 5 pair they had I got them for $20 per pair out the door.

I don't give a damn what anyone says...they are the stuff of the stuff stuff! Compared to my Sony and Pioneer broken 2 month old junk they are just as good.

DJ=Disc Jockey
SE=Sound Engineer
Diamond G=Audiophile without a cause

Man what are you talking about? Just because the guy didn't do what you expected him to do means nothing...NOTHING! The first time I watched Dj 2nd Nature he just spun tracks that were premixed while he talked to all of us. Does that mean that he does not know what he is doing? see my point?

Even if the guy didn't know or did know what to listen to and adjust doesn't mean that these headphones cannot or are not the best. The phones sound great. Even the cheap crap that comes with an ipod are most likely 10 times better in sound quality than the best of the BEST that you could not even think of buying in the early 80's.

Sometimes we buy gear to be flashy and cool. I used to be that guy. Then over time I learned what I was doing and can now out mix most people even if I am using some fisher price toy gear.

Headphones...for me I have to be able to hear them clearly for cue points. Other than that they do me no good. Once in a while I screw up and forget them or break them and am stuck without any at all. The show still goes on and the customers never know the difference.

I am still trying to figure out many things in your post. Did you talk to the guy? Were you drinking while there? Were you drinking while posting this? What headphones do you use? What headphones do you recommend? What mixer was the guy using? What source did the guy have? What kind of PA was the guy using? Did he have a monitor in the booth? Was he any good? Did it really sound that bad? Was the guy tone deaf?

A lot more needs to be investigated before slamming any piece of gear. Especially one that has had as much money and research thrown at it as a itty bitty company like Pioneer would put out there.

Posted Sat 17 May 08 @ 11:59 pm
Well Paulie C,

I indeed see that you are " ... trying to figure out many things in ... " my post.
The first thing you need to figure out is; I am not "slamming" Pioneer - exactly the OPPOSITE. Dude, seriously, were you drinking when you responded to my post?

I fully agree "the phones sound great". What my post is saying is that to some DJ's such good headphones are an overkill. Hence my sarcastic suggestion about the i-pod earphones.

Look dude, I'll give you a quick example: I'm a Registered Nurse and own a mediocre $50. stethoscope. All I do with it is assess that the lungs have no fluid and some heart rates before giving certain medications. Some Doctors (e.g., Cardiologists) use stethoscopes that cost well over $500. - you give me one of those and I would not even begin to know what the heck I'm listening for. I just don't have the training for it. It would be an overkill for me to buy a $500.+ stethoscope. Unless of course I wanted to be "flashy".

If this guy is trying to be flashy, it's fine by me. Hence the title of my post - "WHAT A WASTE [such good headphones used only for cue points]"

Here are the answers to your questions (not sure where you're going with these):
Did you talk to the guy? No
Were you drinking while there? one beer (it was ice cold).
Where you drinking while posting this? No, ... but good idea.
What headphones do you use? Pioneer SE-DJ5000
What headphones do you recommend? Depends on your use (to you; Fisher Price)
What mixer was the guy using? Pioneer DJM-800
What source did the guy have? Serato with TC CD's
What kind of PA was the guy using? 2-way Crossover (can list more if you need it for your next comment)
Did he have a monitor in the booth? Yes
Was he any good? Subjective
Was the guy tone deaf? I'd have to ask him

PS:
1.) Not sure what you mean by; you can out mix most people even if you were using some Fisher Price toy gear.
2.) Not sure what you mean by saying that; other than cue points, headphones do you no good.
If you're talking about out mixing most with VDJ - Maybe (VDJ does a lot of work for you). Some DJ's can be out mixed with VDJ's Automix. Nothing remarkable there.

I'd like to listen to you out mix "most" with some good dance music on turn tables with real vinyl (no VDJ or serato) on a high end sound system where you can actually tell if the DJ is ignoring his EQ knobs. Where you actually have to beat-match using a real pitch (ride the mix for at least a minute), adjust your own gains, know your 8 count, 16 count, etc with a pair of "Fisher Price" headphones or as you boast "without any at all".
Pleeeeeeeeeese dude .... give me a break.
My ears would regret it, but I'd pay good money to listen to you in the above situation.

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 2:14 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Behave guys, behave ;)
Regarding topic, hey, if he wants to use Pioneer, let him be.
I study headphones and all that expensive ones like Sony and Pioneer cracks and brakes pretty soon. I have Behringer HPX 2000:
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/headphones/behringer/hpx2000
for 3 years now and still like brand new!

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 8:28 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Sennheiser's are my fave's.

Had a pair of HD25 SP's for about 10 years now, never had to change then, only the padding around the ear pot's.

Quite basic in design, but they still do a awesome job.

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 8:54 am
Thanks G for the response.

When I started I was using tables as you describe....however...those days are gone. Reread your post. Then read mine. I say clearly that I owned a set of the expensive stuff but use the cheap stuff.

For the record I own a Littmann Classic II Pediatric scope as well as a Littmann Cardiology III. They are both in the $100-$150 range. I was just a paramedic so I guess I am like that guy you listened to. It did the job really well though and added a touch of class.

I guess sarcasm is one of both mine and your perfected arts. The days of eqing are almost over. VDJ is a kick ass tool for that. I do still adjust somethings but not very often.

I thought you were talking about the headphones. My bags.... Some people buy shoes from K-Mart while others wear Air Force Ones.

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 10:53 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I won a pari of those a while ago.
Used them ONCE and sold them, it was like putting my head in a vice and not being full cup didn't stay where I wanted them.

Stumbled onto a special that Promo Only was running on Ministry Of Sound full cup for $45 ea and bought two.
They are now 4 years old and have never failed me.

Headphones are like underware...well you get my point.

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 1:05 pm
What up Paulie C;

My hats off to you paramedics, very demanding job. Kudos.

I agree, that with such great recoding technologies in recording studios, one does not have to adjust the EQ as much as we use to. But some DJ's download versions from the web that are 2nd and 3rd generation recordings that need some real help on on the EQ but they couldn't care less.

SIDE NOTE:
Mixing with tables will never be what it use to be with regard to popularity, BUT turntable sales have been on the rise thanks to programs like VDJ and others.
Because mixing with TT's is not what it use to - it's a greater joy to watch Kats like Tiesto do their stuff.

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 1:08 pm
Here ya go "G".

Am with Jazzy Jeff

Thanks Jimmy

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 2:13 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 2:23 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Paulie_C wrote :

Thanks Jimmy

I got it wrong aswell, but at least you saw it ;)

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 2:27 pm
Cool vid. Lots of creativity all around.

I love that "Flippin Double" effect when I see someone doing it live and working it in with skill. Nice!

I rarely touch my EQ's when mixing a Hip Hop set - no argument there. Things are happening too quick to fool with the EQ's.
Dance music (in my opinion) is a totally different story.

The DJ I mention in this post was playing Hip Hop sets followed by Dance sets.

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 3:44 pm
Paulie_C wrote :
Here ya go "G".

Am with Jazzy Jeff

Thanks Jimmy

Awesome!!!

Thanks for the post!!!

DJ TAO :)

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 9:02 pm
as were talking about headphones, anyone use WESCs? looking for a loud headphone, flashier the better... looking for green, red, yellow or blue lol

Posted Sun 18 May 08 @ 10:10 pm
Lamont...I saw a set a while back that had green and red lasers coming out of each side. I forget where the hell I saw them but they were in the $350 range.

If I can find them I will post it for you. That should all the flash you could want.

Posted Mon 19 May 08 @ 8:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)