Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A Projector for outside?!?!?!?! Need some help.....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

K, so heres the situation. I DJ for a waterside restaurant in CT. Yesterday I took delivery of a 3000 Lumens projector. Today at around 5 o'clock I setup the projector with a mustang 84" screen. To my disappointment, the image was quite washed out. We thought of maybe mounting the screen somewhere else, but because of how the bar is layed out, mounting the screen on the boardwalk is the best solution for amount of people/placement of screen ratio.

I'm asking for some suggestions, as our opening day doing VJing will be May 25th. While thats a little time away, i'm freakin out that it will not be ready in time.

I'll take some photos before I go home tonight, and post em up here......

MAJOR THANX for any suggestions...
-Schmidty

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 5:31 pm
when you say "opening day" are we talking daylight hours? and how much ambient light do you have to deal with in the evening? we have a Benq projector (don't remember the specs off hand) and a 25ft screen on the back wall of our stage, but the LED's that they put in to light up the mechanical bull tend to wash it out, even using the darker colors. the other projectors work fine, but we have them in light wells, where they arent being washed out from other fixtures.

inexpensive fix for outside ambient light? slingshot... of course it might be expensive if you got caught.

other than that i dont see a non-technical fix that doesnt involve serious cash.

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 6:12 pm
It would take a helluva projector to shine through the sun.

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 6:42 pm
I think I remember somebody on here mention that when they had brighrtness problems, they simply got a another projector and sat it next to the first one so that they both shone at the screen to get a brighter image. You've have to spend a few minutes getting the pictures lined up right though I guess. Haven't tried it myself, so I'm not sure how exactly much brightness you would add by doing this. You would think that you'd double the brightness, but I'm not sure if that's how it works to be honest.

Also, this is so simple I feel a bit of an idiot for suggesting it, but couldn't you just move the projector closer to the screen? Obviously it would create a smaller image, but it would definately be brighter because the same amount of light from the projector is spread over a smaller area. I'm sure a nice and clear 40" image (with a 20" boarder on each side) would be better than a faded 80" that people can't see very well.

Don't forget to play with the brightness, contrast and gamma settings to get the best image as well.

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 7:16 pm
DGeePRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi All,

I work as an Audio Visual technician at a large University here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. There are a couple things you could do. The most expensive solution would be to use a projector in the 7000 to 10000 lumen range. They are not cheap but they also use 2 or more bulbs to get the right light output. Another option, which was mentioned, was to double or triple stack a bunch of identical cheaper projectors. Chief Mounts makes a mount just for this type of situation.

http://www.chiefmounts.ca/Products/LCD-2C/

Another idea which was also mentioned would be to move the projector closer but get a wide angle lens if the projector can take one. This would give you a large image with a much brighter picture as you would be much closer to the screen. If possible, you might be able to rent a projector with a wide angle lens to try out.

Good Luck,

-DGee

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 11:17 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
or......

Just use a couple of 42" lcd tv's

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 12:22 am
DJ Cyder wrote :
or...

Just use a couple of 42" lcd tv's

suddenly i was in an 80's white-out video...
would rear projection make a difference i wonder?

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 2:42 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I do outside gigs all the time.
June 21st is the longest day with the latest sunset btw.

I upped to 4000 lumen projectors to help with this and it did.
Try to run your screen perpendicular to the sunset if you can.

You lose 10% of the projected light with rear projection screens.

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 5:46 am
10%? i learn new stuff every day.

actually, i was glad i saw this thread - planned on b-day party for my rugrat in back yard with movies, screen, projector, popcorn, etc. his friends are normal kids, not bar / dj's kids. they just don't know how to hang, so i can't do it too late in the evening. now i know about light issues.

back on track - he said on boardwalk... my question is .. which side?

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 7:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)