Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: More than 2 decks?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is there anyway to have say 3 or 4 decks in virtual dj?

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 6:20 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Yes, purchase pro and then download a multi-instance skin. That will give you up too four decks to use at one time....Hope that helps

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 6:44 pm
dj bk1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
i have asked this before as well... you also either need another sound card OR one that has 3 or more outputs

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 7:55 pm
YEh .. u Need Another Sound Card
!

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 7:59 pm
idmkPRO InfinityMember since 2004

So basically to get multi instance working, I'd need 2 soundcards ?
Will hooking up my PC to a 4 channel soundcard work ?

Cheers.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 08 @ 9:59 pm
Would I need to buy a new sound card AND use the multinstance skin?

Posted Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 10:28 pm
When I use a multi-instance skin, I am unable to use two controllers (DAC-3 and DMC-2) at the same time to control the different instances. That is, I am unable to allocate 1 controller to the first instance and the second controller to the second instance. However, when I open two instances of Virtual DJ, I can allocate a controller to an instance.

The problem I am experiencing with two instances of Virtual DJ is that I always have to use Alt-Tab to switch between the instances. If I was able to allocate controllers to instances while using a multi-instance skin, I wouldn't need to toggle between the two instances as they are both visible at the same time.

I don't know if there is solution to fix the controller conflict while using the multi-instance skins, if there is please advice?

Posted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 6:25 pm
Just to add:

When using either the multi-instance skins or manually opening two instances of Virtual DJ, the second instance does not have access to the Virtual DJ database (.xml file). It seems like the first instance locks the database. Therefore the second instance does not have access to all the information stored on the database (Cues, BPM, etc...). This results in the second instance reanalysing the songs every time you load them onto its decks.

If somebody knows how to deal with these shortcomings please assist.

Regards

PS. Maybe Virtual DJ should have the database information stored on both the .xml file and the media files (i.e. Music, Video & Karaoke files)

Posted Tue 08 Apr 08 @ 9:07 am
nissnutPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Which ones are the multi-instance skins? They are not clearly stated.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 10:58 pm
Forget about the multi instance hack, while it works relatively fine, this needs a proper multi track/deck support with fader automation going forward. So you can do that awesome mix once and perfect it later and mix different mixes together then add light automation tracks.

In my opinion most DJ mixes are just plain boring and uncreative as it's still much too difficult to go very creative and succeed on the first try so you end up practising same thing over and over - or get a little help. This might actually change when everyone can be as good as Carl Cox etc super stars by the virtue of pre-mixing what mixes well but is hard unless you do it in Ableton Live, then when live mixing the pre-mixed mixes. I already try do this a bit but it could be a lot easier. Also light shows could be like those you see at Jarre "defense" /Mayday 1998, perfectly orchestrated with what kind of sounds are going on instead of just random drunken vj sync which is what it is usually. The light sequencer needs to be built in the DJ program.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 11:17 pm
androidi wrote :
In my opinion most DJ mixes are just plain boring and uncreative....This might actually change when everyone can be as good as Carl Cox etc super stars by the virtue of pre-mixing what mixes well.

So called "superstar Djs" who pre mix their shows are more producer than Dj or they are the DJ version of Milli Vanilli......if you're good, you're good, DO IT LIVE anybody can pre mix sets in ableton or mixmeister and have them come out perfect. Also most of these "superstar" Djs usually only play for 60 to 90 minutes during the peak of the night AFTER the resident Dj has got the crowd hyped and rocking AND their sets can sound near flawless because they play the same 20 songs EVERY SHOW in the same order with the exact same mix in every club they play in...again anybody good can do that. How many of them can keep the same crowd rocking three to four nights a week for 4 straight hours in the same club and sound fresh each show week in and week out, rotate the floor so the owner can sell more drinks, play a contained format to keep a certain demographic in and a certain demographic out, satisfy the 25 year old bachellorette party, the 21 year old birthday party and the 40th anniversary party all in the same night....most can't!

Posted Wed 30 Apr 08 @ 11:20 pm
dj-e-lectric for king of the WORLD!

For sure man. I have met Carl and hung out watching. It is just like watching 2nd Nature and many others. They premake the music and then just cue it up in the right places. Don't get me wrong. These guys kick assprin bottles but they should be working a bit harder live to give that element. it is still cool watching them. it is also cool knowing I could kick their butts in a competition if that is all they brought!

Posted Wed 30 Apr 08 @ 11:46 pm
I totally get what you say, that would not go if you're a resident/regular player. I was too harsh there, was thinking of the many sets I've listened home downloaded from the net and my own mixes. In my experience if I push that record button then the mix doesn't turn out so creative as if holding back trying to get it right for the recording. Lost many good mixes to this and I can't wait for a feature to always record the mix without me being conscious about it.

As to going back in and editing: I've also noticed that if I do get something perfectly, then attempting to repeat it again can turn out very tedious process whether you try do it again in VDJ or go to Live. If your aim is to play in clubs then practise practise etc, playing for me is just one thing among others, mainly to create sets I like to listen on later. And mistakes happen, going back to the otherwise perfect mix to fix that one blunder is what you expect to be possible with computer aided mixing!

Posted Thu 01 May 08 @ 2:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)