Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Abstract

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a lot of Abstract lighting, I have flightcased each light individually from new and had no problems.

However I recently bought two used Abstract Twister 4's - upon closer inspection I noticed that someone had joined a couple of the wires together inside and that they hadn't done a very good job of it.

I also noticed that there was a screw missing (pic below is a picture of the other light that had the screw in place - the screw is in the middle of picture)

I sent Abstract these same pictures and asked to have the screw and a couple of replacement wires sent so that I could carry out the repair properly.

If you are still reading this post, to cut a long story short they tried to charge my £21. I refused and this is the email and letter I sent in regard to my dissatisfaction.

Abstract,

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with your company and its procedure in regard to supporting its customers.

I recently tried to receive a screw and a couple of bits of wire to repair a Twister 4 light effect, I was extremely surprised when there was the mention of payment! After all were only talking about a screw and a couple of bits of wire! However I agreed but I must confess it left a bitter taste in my mouth. From then on it got worse, a 17.5% VAT charge in addition to the agreed fee was going to be added - this I was not made aware of. Not stopping there, there was postage and package charge been added to the bill (£3.50) this I could not believe!!!

At the end of the day we are talking about a tiny screw and a couple of bits of wire, you should be ashamed of your selves for trying to charge me and for trying to rip me off especially in regard to posting and packaging. The items could have been sent in a padded envelope for free as a matter of customer service, I can't imagine how it would cost £3.50 in postage and packaging.

I really feel as if you have blatantly tried to rip me off and that customer service ranks very low in your company policy, I am genuinely shocked. I run a company myself a wouldn’t dream of treating my customers in this way, I wouldn't think twice about helping them out either especially if it was only down to items that were worth penny's.

As a result of this I still have a faulty product that needs to be repaired, I would like to know your views on this situation?

Charlie Wilson

OK there response - Nothing, so I sent the email and letter again. There response - Nothing still they can't even be bothered.

I own a lot of Abstract lighting (£3,500 worth) however In my telephone conversation, email and letter I did not mention this as I think that they should look after all there customers the same regardless.

I wanted to post this so that the VDJ users had in insight into the customer service at Abstract, so that next time you buy a light effect you know how they will try to rip you off given the opportunity and that the after care is non existent.

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 5:14 pm
well i would accept the screw missing. from the photo, it looks ok to me. (i work in electronics an i dont see anthing which would cause any problems there)

but the wireing is a bit poor.

the poblem with the wireing is that the previous bulb holder would have burnt out. this is common on these kind of bulbs because they get so hot.
if you fancy fixing this yourself DO NOT use standard CONNECTOR BLOCK or 'Chock-Block' they cant handle the ammount of heat that the wire carries!!!

your wire does however have proper crimps, which are acceptable, as they can handle the heat from the bulb.

also, your fixture DOES have a perfectly good new bulb holder, so i wouldnt worry about anything there.

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 5:35 pm
Hi Mark, I also noticed that there was a screw missing (Picture is a picture of the other light that had the screw in place - the screw is in the middle of picture) I added a picture of the other light so that you could see the screw and get an idea of the size of it.

Also I did do a repair and I used connector blocks.

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 5:53 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
charlie

for that type of connection replace those connectors with the ceramic type, now and in the future, or you will smell plastic melting and as harry enfield would say "you don't wanna do that do we sir" lol

and get some heat protection sleeve

Tayla

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 6:03 pm
OMG!

you used connector blocks.

i learned from my mistakes in the past.

you bulb will get very hot during use. your fixture will more than likely have a fan to create some air-flow, to cool the bulb down...

you have 3 options for your broken wire.

1. Straight through crimps. if you have a crimp tool then it takes a second or two to put crimps insted your connector blocks.
2. CERAMIC connector blocks. these look similar to your standard connector blocks, but are made of ceramic material that wont melt under the heat.
3. SOLDER. soldering irons ore wuite cheep these days, so you could use solder and insulation tape.

all the above items are availabe in most good DIYs and electronics stores. (eg. Radio Shack, Maplin, etc...)

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 6:08 pm
I thought connector blocks would be ok, I can't see how soldering them and using insulation tape would be any better! wouldn't the insulation tape melt as well?

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 6:20 pm
surprisingly it dosent melt.

for my fixtures i used the ceramic connector blocks, cause the lights are up on a lighting truss, and its hard work to get eh soldering iron up there.

ive found them at RS components in the UK

they are 91p plus VAT each if you buy up to 5of.

(notice the link)

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 6:25 pm
Thanks Mark. you have been more help and more informative than Abstract!

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 6:31 pm
chafferPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Looks like a 12v 100w lamp to me, If so it is drawing just over 8 amps!

Thore red inline crimp connectors are rated at 5 amps (at a sensible temperature)

Current rating goes down as temperature goes up, so these connectors are Wrong for the job!

I have repaired loads of Abstrect lighting effects, they should know better!

A ceramic block is definately the best way to go.

As for the screws falling out thats quite normal in this buisness, (transportation and BASS!) pop a little threadlock on them and you'll never have any probs.

Try locktite 242 or 243, or equivalent, nothing stronger.

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 7:28 pm
Hi Chaffer, The light is a Twister 4 there 24v 250w

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 7:32 pm
chafferPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Oh my word, better add another 2 amps to that then and make it 10 !

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 7:43 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
and dont forget that bloody heat sleeve that i mentioned

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 7:47 pm
thats why the bulb gets so hot, and eventually the bulb holder breaks.

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 7:48 pm
To cut down on heat and lighting useage

osram is developing LED replacement bulbs you'd have to do some research to cross reference which LED bulb will work for which halogen bulb

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 8:08 pm
at last!!

this will be good, cause when im mobie, if i dont turn the datamoon lamps of before i remove power, i get less than a month out of the bulbs.

i use the datamoons with the little controller that came with the set.
i always try to remember to turn off the bulb and leave them still plugged in to keep the fans running until the bulb cools.
im sure thats what im supposed to do, and i get over 8 months out of the same bulbs!!

Posted Wed 05 Mar 08 @ 8:20 pm
I emailed Osram as I could not find any conversion tool on there site, did anyone else have any luck?

Posted Thu 06 Mar 08 @ 4:50 am
[quote=marksmolinski
i always try to remember to turn off the bulb and leave them still plugged in to keep the fans running until the bulb cools.
im sure thats what im supposed to do, and i get over 8 months out of the same bulbs!![/quote]

That is Exactly what you are supposed to do with high temp bulbs. If you're using a projector it's the same thing turn it off - let the bulb cool and It'll last a lot longer.

Posted Thu 06 Mar 08 @ 10:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)