Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I said runway 44 left you idiot

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185

And they praised the pilot
He had no business touching that runway if you ask me.

One would figure they have opposing runways for a reason.

Okey...so who wants vacation?

IMO he was late, he was sideways, he's a cowboy trying to be a hero fighter pilot on a carrier.
And for what?
That plane is going to need new seats and wings, not to mention tires...

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 6:27 pm

loooooooooool ;)

the part you forgot was the b*** "Emma"... the worst storm in Europe for a long time, that gave the plane a hell of a time to land ;)

hehe

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 7:03 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
mp3jrick wrote :
That plane is going to need new seats and wings, not to mention tires...

And any passengers are needing a fresh set of underwear.....

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 7:04 pm
Actually Rick, if you look at those trees in the background, you can see that the pilot was dealing with a major crosswind landing scenario - unsuccessfully. Thus your comment about runways is valid, but it might have been the only one at the facility of appropriate length and structure for this aircraft. What I saw was a failed crab technque. However, I agree with you that the pilot should have executed a failed approach precedure long before scraping the wings on the runway...Bad judgement for sure, not to mention very dangerous. He got lucky - this time.

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 7:06 pm
WOW... this is cool. I didn't think there were people in here also interested in aviation.

Man, what it looks like to me is that the pilot used the crab technique too long before transitioning to the more stable Slip technique.
In any case, I agree - bad judgment.

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 9:03 pm
Man, I'm so glad I'm a DJ not a pilot.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 3:21 am
discjockeydoc wrote :
Actually Rick, if you look at those trees in the background, you can see that the pilot was dealing with a major crosswind landing scenario - unsuccessfully.

Do you think? LOL
You don't fly a plane like that without a severe crosswind I'm afraid.

Quote :
Thus your comment about runways is valid, but it might have been the only one at the facility of appropriate length and structure for this aircraft.

You mean like this one, this is Hamburg for God's sake...
Given the wind direction my guess is that 33 would have been a better choice.

http://hamburg.fuairliner.net/hamburg/ham_spotting.htm

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 5:01 am
There is blame to share on this one, the tower had to have cleared that runway.
Maybe the windsock was getting washed that day.

Regardless, the pilot has the final decision and he blew it trying to be a hero.

Maybe flying just gets boring playing it safe.
Here is another example.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=00a_1204000744

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 6:51 am
timmyventura wrote :
Man, I'm so glad I'm a DJ not a pilot.

LOOOL You bet so, me too! xD ahah
Keep it real!

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 9:46 am
At least he hit the runway, and not the highway... ;)

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 10:47 am

Looks like he got a parking ticket at the end... lol

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 10:48 am
mp3jrick wrote :
Do you think? LOL
You don't fly a plane like that without a severe crosswind I'm afraid.

Yeah, you're right. If you did, you wouldn't be right in the head. LOL

mp3jrick wrote :
You mean like this one, this is Hamburg for God's sake...
Given the wind direction my guess is that 33 would have been a better choice.

Yep, I think so too. Sorry, I didn't know where it was. Maybe they should take the comfy pillows out of the tower, too, hehe.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 12:31 pm
I don't know a damn thing about flying, but know he should have aborted that landing at least 20 seconds earlier. I would have taken the assault charge, and knocked his ass out, and sued him for reckless endangerment. By the way, Stevie Wonder took that video, and would testify on my behalf.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 1:07 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 1:29 pm
DJ Cyder wrote :

guess that was the 5.0 version of the software ;)

NICE!....

As a Coast Guard Pilot I was in some pretty tough wind and that video looked pretty nasty. Without having all the info I can't judge the guy. If there was an emergency on board or low on fuel I would probably attempt it as well. I would have rather chose a different airport facing into the wind a bit better myself though.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 3:42 pm
My hat is off to you Coast Guard pilots being from New Bedford Ma one of the biggest fishing ports in the country.
Taking chances to save lives is calculated risk, not stupidity.
And to the swimmers, omg, those guys are incredible.

Two years ago I watched a chopper evac off the bow of a cruise ship that had steamed into fuel range to get this guy off.
We were in 15' seas and the wind was cranked.
It was all the pilot could do to keep from crashing into the bridge and he nearly yanked the crewman off by his tether because he was still attached as the ship lurched and the chopper tried to react.
The victim had a heart attack (on the dance floor no less) and they had to sedate him, but his wife had to make the trip in the basket too, and she had to have real guts to get in with all that was going on.

But....there is a huge difference in taking chances to save lives, vs what is in that video.
He landed 15 minutes later, so they had fuel, and I'm sure a fly by would have been allowed if his pride could take it.
He had a runway into the wind too if you look at that shot of Hamburg airport, so the tower had some responsibility in this also.

Thanks for all that you guys do to save lives on the water, few get to say thank you except the victims.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 5:52 pm
Another good reason not to have guns in the cockpit, because if I was the copilot, I would have shot him.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 08 @ 11:52 pm
Yea, I would've shat myself for sure. I've been on plenty of flights where the wings are not as they should be at landing due to the wind and it is scary. That situation there, with the plane all over the place, OMG, I would have yacked. It's amazing they pulled out of it.

Posted Thu 06 Mar 08 @ 10:52 am
The follow up on the news report on this from the German airport officials was that there was no fault on either the pilot OR the control tower.
BUT THE PLANE LANDED ON RUNWAY 33 INSTEAD OF 23 LIKE THE FIRST TIME.....its all starting to make sence now...

Posted Thu 06 Mar 08 @ 11:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)