Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My new video: So you want to be a virtual dj? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've been getting a ton of questions about the basics, so I made another video. Enjoy!

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 7:38 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Very funny Socross.......I love your videos...don't ever allow anyone to tell you you have too much time on your hands ;-)

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 7:50 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
awesome... love the old 50's style vids. mods, can we make this sticky or even make a page somewhere on the actual website for this? it is tiresome to see this same thing explained a million times

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 8:37 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
dude your videos are hilarious. The 50's theme is fricken awesome

Posted Sat 01 Mar 08 @ 9:51 pm
Yeah, you have waaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 1:32 am
Riveting...Compelling...Ah, who am I kidding? It's just damn funny :D

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 1:50 am
I needed a laugh
Very well done good sir!!!!!!

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 3:19 am
Golly, that was swell! Wait till I tell all the gang at the malt shop about this film! They'll think its a gas!

Check ya later Daddy-O!

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 8:14 am
Wow, I didn't realize they had laptops in the 50's...lol. Great Vid!!

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 12:23 pm

hehehehe ;) Thats a classic!! ;)

Very well made video with a twist ;)

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 2:36 pm
The Video is good. You are a good actor. The Dj Video Award goes to, Drum roll please....................................................................and the winner for best DJ video of 2008 goes to SoCross........

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 4:01 pm
haha

:)

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 4:30 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Legendry!

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 4:47 pm
Ohh man, why can't ALL information vids be like this? :P

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 4:55 pm
dj_julienPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
very funny .

good job :)

DJ Julien

Posted Sun 02 Mar 08 @ 5:43 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Great Video, very fun!
What kind of soundcard was that and dose it need an external power supply?

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 4:23 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Nice one mate,

Very Funny indeed. Put a smile on my face today.

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 4:30 am
Very good... got me interested

DJs
1930s-1950s
In 1935, American commentator Walter Winchell coined the term "disc jockey" (the combination of "disc", referring to the disc records, and "jockey", which is an operator of a machine) as a description of radio announcer Martin Block, the first announcer to become a star. While his audience was awaiting developments in the Lindbergh kidnapping, Block played records and created the illusion that he was broadcasting from a ballroom, with the nation’s top dance bands performing live. The show, which he called Make Believe Ballroom, was an instant hit. The term "disc jockey" appeared in print in Variety in 1941.[5]

In 1943, Jimmy Savile launched the world's first DJ dance party by playing jazz records in the upstairs function room of the Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherd's in Otley, England. In 1947, he became the first DJ to use twin turntables for continuous play. In 1947, the Whiskey à Go-Go nightclub opened in Paris, France, considered to be the world's first discothèque, or disco (deriving its name from the French word, meaning a nightclub where the featured entertainment is recorded music rather than an on-stage band). Discos began appearing across Europe and the United States. From the late 1940s to early 1950s, the introduction of television eroded the popularity of radio's early format, causing it to take on the general form it has today, with a strong focus on music, news and sports.

In the 1950s, American radio DJs would appear live at "sock hops" and "platter parties" and assume the role of a human jukebox. They would usually play 45-rpm records featuring hit singles on one turntable, while talking between songs. In some cases, a live drummer was hired to play beats between songs to maintain the dance floor. In 1955 Bob Casey, a well-known "sock hop" DJ, introduced the first two-turntable system for alternating back and forth between records, creating a continuous playback of music. Throughout the 1950s, payola payments by record companies to DJs in return for airplay was an ongoing problem. Part of the fallout from the payola scandal was tighter control of the music by station management. The Top 40 format emerged, where popular songs are played repeatedly.

In the late 1950s, sound systems, a new form of public entertainment, are developed in the ghettos of Kingston, Jamaica. Promoters, who called themselves DJs, would throw large parties in the streets that centered on the disc jockey, called the "selector," who played dance music from large, loud PA systems and bantered over the music with a boastful, rhythmic chanting style called "toasting." These parties quickly became profitable for the promoters, who would sell admission, food and alcohol, leading to fierce competition between DJs for the biggest sound systems and newest records.

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_jockey

I knew he was a DJ, but i didn't know Jimmy Savile started the whole twin teck thing off ! (Mind blowing!)

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 4:56 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
digimixer wrote :

I knew he was a DJ, but i didn't know Jimmy Savile started the whole twin teck thing off ! (Mind blowing!)

It can't that Jimmy Savile, digi,....can it?. I know he is old, but I didn't know he was that old.

Jimmy b

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 6:54 am
jimmy b wrote :
digimixer wrote :

It can't that Jimmy Savile, digi,....can it?. I know he is old, but I didn't know he was that old.

Jimmy b

No it is, check the link above and you can click on Jimmy Savile 's name... and there he is, doing one of his marathons !

He must be over 80 now i guess, so he would of been born around 1928 or before, so he would of been in his early twenties probably.

I'll always look at him in a different light now, may even start a fan club !!

Still, how he went from starting a DJ revolution to Jim'll' Fix it, i dont know! :)

Posted Mon 03 Mar 08 @ 7:55 am
61%