Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help with set up on pioneer 800 midi mixer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a friend (yes it's true I have a friend), and despite my trying to convince him to get VDJ pro he went out and bought Numark Virtual Vinyl and the following list of stuff....................computer (macbook pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 256 dedicated video memory, 3-usb ports), pioneer 800 midi mixer with 1 midi out, numark virtual vinyl 5.0 break out box and a serrato box, and a pair of cdj1000's.......he's trying to figure out if he can just go from the computer usb out to the midi in on the mixer and then map the mixer and bypass the numark box altogether (if not how must he hook it up)...the salesmen who sold it to him sadi he needed the serrato box to make it all work, but I didn't think that was true).

Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Or can someone be kind enough to write a quick one to walk him through it? One of the things he wants to be able to do is map one of the pioneer channel faders as a video crossfader if this is possible? Are there any "map" plug-in or whatever already written for the pioneer 800 midi?

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 3:12 am
This is a piece of piss to do... you just need usb midi interface e.g. maudio uno seems to work well or yamaha ux16 both dirt cheap (i have the uno). As for mapping plugins, I dont understand why people keep wanting them if your unit (djm800) doesn't have mapped led's.

First off make sure the usb to midi adapter is pluged in to mixer and comp and drivers installed (thats it leave it, it will be parsing info back and forth).

Next in config goto remote conrtol tab, right click on general midi then activate. It will be big and green when activated you can't miss it. then right click again and on general midi and click config.

in the top right of the new window that opens click add. then at the top of the shortcut window it should have a big box thats titled MIDI and {autolearn}. Squiggle round the crossfader and it should say somthing like CTRL 11 {value=95}.

Next in the left box go down the list and click video. Then it the top of the list adject it should say video_crossfader. Select it and set the Slider/Knob tab and set the value to absolute. Hit ok and all should be good!

Hope this helps

Posted Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 5:01 am
thanks Ian, we'll get the adapter and give it a try....let you know how it works

Posted Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 7:40 pm
The MIDI function of the DJM will only allow you to control VDJ suing the DJM800, you will still need the audio interface to get the audio from the computer.

In real life the MIDI features of the DJM are nice, but in this setup next to useless (although I guess you could map the VDJ-FX controllers to the FX knobs on the DJM800). Just hookup the audio out from the interface to the DJM inputs ..

Posted Fri 29 Feb 08 @ 9:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)