Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: CDJs, Mixers -- how to get started?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Right-o, so I posted earlier in here about switching to an all-in-one controller. But I'm thinking something else right now --
1. VDJ
2. A CDJ controller with switchable decks, so that I can control both decks with one cdj
3. A real-life USB mixer (probably http://www.numark.com/dxm06 since I've used it before and have been very impressed by it).

The question is, what equipment should I be looking at getting? What's a good but (very) reasonably-priced CDJ?
I have very limited funds and I'm trying to preserve both quality and versatility. Possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Does this setup even make sense? I learned on vinyl, and digtal-to-analog interfaces is a very new thing for me.

thanks!

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 9:02 am
arobotar wrote :
Right-o, so I posted earlier in here about switching to an all-in-one controller. But I'm thinking something else right now --
1. VDJ
2. A CDJ controller with switchable decks, so that I can control both decks with one cdj
3. A real-life USB mixer (probably http://www.numark.com/dxm06 since I've used it before and have been very impressed by it).

The question is, what equipment should I be looking at getting? What's a good but (very) reasonably-priced CDJ?
I have very limited funds and I'm trying to preserve both quality and versatility. Possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Does this setup even make sense? I learned on vinyl, and digtal-to-analog interfaces is a very new thing for me.

thanks!

The Numark ICDX is exactly what you want. (Except maybe the price part!)

http://www.numark.com/icdx

What is your budget?

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 9:36 am
I'm LOOKING to keep it sub 500, more like 400, sans software. Nearly impossible, I'm sure, but there are also deals to be had if you look in the right place, I've found.
I've got to get some speakers, too -- I was partnered up with a DJ at my old home, and I've moved to NYC so we split the equip accordingly. Now I've got to rebuild on my own meager budget.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 11:50 am

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 12:16 pm
hey man... for the icdx, im planning to sell one as we speak... email is azarraga053@comcast.net if ya want it

350$ or maybe lower if we talk... ill include a 250gb harddrive as well for ya

but yea, the icdx is a great digital machine... even better as a cd player but a real good combo with vdj

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 12:46 pm
haha, i'm thinking <400-500 for both the mixer and the icdx, and since the mixer is $200 min... ahahaha.

one question, though, how well does the icdx play with other programs? pretty universal?

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 2:33 pm
arobotar wrote :
haha, i'm thinking <400-500 for both the mixer and the icdx, and since the mixer is $200 min... ahahaha.

one question, though, how well does the icdx play with other programs? pretty universal?

It's a midi controller (amongst other things) so any dj software which fully supports midi should be able to work with it (Some may be easier to setup than others)

VDJ & SSL support it natively, so you don't need to map the midi signals to functions yourself (unless you're not happy with the default mappings)

When connected to VDJ, you can switch with VDJ deck you're are controlling by simply pushing the Eject button.

Posted Thu 28 Feb 08 @ 10:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)