Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Missing Files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
hi everyone

noticed last night i was missing a few files that are current stuff so god knows how many others could be mising, i've tried the recurse, add to search db and scan for tags they still don't show up. i know they are still on the ehd could anyone advise how to get them back showing in the browser any tips or tricks to get them to show, thanks

Tayla

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 12:11 pm
if you know the location of the file in windows explorer go to it,
drag it from windows explorer onto a deck and let it completely load,
then it will be force added to the database ;-)

if that don't work add the folder as a favorite in vdj.
then scan the folder for bpm's that'll add them as well.

i have to do that from time to time due to moving files around on 3 drives
1 120gb
1 200gb
1 1TB (1,000GB)

soon ill have all 1TB's due to them being on sale ;-) and yes VDJ reads the 1 terabyte drive fine ;-)

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 12:20 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Hey Tayla..try moving them to the internal..then open VDJ..close it....move them back to the EXT open VDJ...now...click on the BPM tab...and scroll down to the bottom..that is where unanalyzed files are...and see if they are there, then re-analyze them...I have noticed that once or twice myself and that is how I located them and after that never had any issues finding them again.

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 12:22 pm
thanks for the advice guys

will follow the instructions above but what about the files that could be still missing would it mean a complete rescan and will i then lose all my bpms that i've had to redo, sorry but forgot to mention that all my music including video is in one file on a external hard drive marked music dump, with 238gb free out of 400gb

cheers fellas

Tayla

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 12:33 pm
you could make a filter as well

isscanned=0 & filepath starts with "g:/music"

/ goes the other way

Posted Sun 24 Feb 08 @ 12:39 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Good to hear someone was able to find a solution to this problem.
I have had many that just went missing. Can't understand why this happens.
None of my files were moved or renamed. Next time I will give these suggestions a try.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 9:49 am
sorry could'nt try those suggestions out last night had to leave for gig, while there found more files had gone missing, but two of my recent stuff were back in the browser window, must have a "file monster" lurking deep inside my lappy and spat those two back out... hehe

Tayla

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 10:24 am
101010101 wrote :
you could make a filter as well

isscanned=0 & filepath starts with "g:/music"

/ goes the other way

I have that set up. However, The problem is that the system sometime will lose track of songs. It shows in the actual location with a yellow question mark. The fie was scanned and added to database but for some reason the system will lose track of random songs. Sometimes the system will catch it in my "need to be scanned" folder but it just dissapeares all to together. This happened to me this weakend. I was running videos and I just thought about a song to mashup but couldn't find the song. I ended up finding the song unscanned and I know I just added it last week.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 11:20 am
It's a big issue! I have >25000 Tracks and its everytime, that i can't find some tracks by search. I know how i can find them manually, add them again into the database, but next time they are already lost by search :-(

I have also checked the xml file on harddrive and have it found, but in search, no....

Its AAAARRGGHH......

Bad search function?? In traktor never happens in 3 years... in VV it happens since my beginning, pls check this!!!

Thx
Avaco

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 1:31 pm
This happens to me occassionally as well...I use the filter folder.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 08 @ 3:44 pm
This missing file thing is an issue for VDJ

I have files on my computer that are not found by VDJ 5.07 but were there on version 4.

There are files I have and can see in 5.07 but using the search and filter functions VDJ cannot find them.

When I CLEAN, CHECK. FIX on the browser, it reads 10212 total entries: 1872 files in SerchDB, 8340 present but hidden from search. 5932 are music. 0 Karaoke, 4289 video.

So is this going to be fixed? I have read all the forum entries on this and tried everything. I would guess this is a major problem that need acknowledgement from VDJ team.

Sound annoyed? Yes I am. Could not find a couples wedding dance song that I know I loaded onto the computer.

Many many many people have posted this issue. The rest probably don't realise it is happening to them.

In the old days of version 4 you simply went to "local databse" and serched you drives and it found everything. Simple and effective. Please fix this.....

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 8:34 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Chris - I know you said you have read through the posts here in the forums. But have you read this one -
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/87710/General_Discussion/Messed_up_File_names___MP3_Tags__Well_Pissed_off.html

Some guys have found that it is the ID3Tags being written by some tagging applications are corrupt and causing problems for them.

Also, When you say you load new songs onto your computer what do you do in VirtualDJ to have it 'recognize' and 'know' that you just added the song(s)? Do you do a Recurse of the folder location and 'Add to Search Database' that folder structure?

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 10:39 am
i use a filter folder also .......

actually the whole problem is caused by britishers calling people sods and other britishy stuff ......it's true

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 11:56 am
lol... you kink me up

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 12:28 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :

actually the whole problem is caused by britishers calling people sods and other britishy stuff ......it's true

Daft Bugger...lol

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 1:25 pm
Ok yes it was ID3 tags. So now I'm happy but this problem will continue to pop up forever into the future with other VDJ users. I think it still needs some kind of fix, or auto repair, otherwise you will be answering this type of post next year, and the next year… well you get the idea.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:42 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Chris Davis wrote :
Ok yes it was ID3 tags. So now I'm happy but this problem will continue to pop up forever into the future with other VDJ users. I think it still needs some kind of fix, or auto repair, otherwise you will be answering this type of post next year, and the next year… well you get the idea.

Yes, we understand that... but at least we now know the cause and what to look for... and the users have an interim solution to correct the issue.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 8:21 pm
hhhmmm strange..... i'm missing some files ......

Posted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 7:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)