Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Time to go shopping!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Need some advice these are the speakers that am currently using bought them last may Yamaha S115V 2-Way 15" Club Series V Speaker with the QSC RMX 1450 Power Amp they have been great no complaints other than the fact that there to small. Not enough bass etc.etc.etc.

I just started the dj business last may things have been o.k.

But now am faced with a situation do I buy some subs with another amp. Or do i keep this system and buy a new system some bigger speakers and bigger amp?? Powered sub?

My case for my mixer,amp, cd player is full. So if I add anything I need a new case also.

Like I said i just started last year so the budget is still tight any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 8:48 pm
how much bass are you lacking exactly? are you happy enough with your yamahas as speakers and do you think a sub would be enough or are you gigs small enough (200 - 300) to just buy 2 new speakers?

option a : you have bigger gigs where your yamaha's are decent but could use some low end - buy a powered sub
a b-52 700 watt powered sub is 700$... not bad

option b: you realize that your gigs (mobile) are small enough to the point that 2 new powered speakers (way to go) is good enough... depending on budget, there are what i love behringer b215 active for less than 500 a pair or jbls for 1000 a pair... with this you can use the leftover speakers as monitor, buy a cheap passive sub with the amp with have left over....

option b is the way id go -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurolive-B215A-Active-2Way-Loudspeaker-Pair?sku=600484

for 560$

and buy a 200$ passive sub and bridge your amp to that. cheaper than a powered sub.

hope this helps

Posted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 10:36 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Decide how many people you are going to play for. Its its larger crowds you have a lot of options to consider. If its smaller crowds what you have now is good, you just need to tweek. The big thing is the number of people you will be playing for the majority of the time.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 11:03 pm
thanks

I normally play for around 200 people but some of the venues are big. Gyms,cafeterias, and wedding reception halls. And then some are fairly small. This weekend i had a gig in a gym and some of the music was lacking some bass especially with techno and rave coming back.

What do you mean by tweaking what I have. What can I add to my system to make it sound better.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 6:45 am
An inexpensive purchase but worth its weight in gold, Cstol turned me onto it, is this http://www.pssl.com/Aphex-204-Aural-Exciter Two 15" speakers should be enough for a crowd that size, the only thing you might need is a sub. Do not bridge off you amp until you have done the math. Make sure your not either A. overdriving or, B. under-driving any of you speakers. Most speakers are blown when the power amps/ohms are not matched up with what the speaker is designed for. Do your homework and I am sure you'll make a good decision.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 7:55 am
I've heard the Aphex-204-Aural-Exciter at Guitar Center, it's amazing what it will do for you sound quality. I haven't study up on it but it works some voodoo on your jams. Definitely something I will look into once I start putting a rig together. It made the B-52 Matrix 1000 V2 sound incredible.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 8:59 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Presently I am using the BBE with my setup. Is the aural exiciter
better than the BBE??

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 9:21 am
If i add this to my setup do you think it would be good enough for what I am doing for now.

Eventually I will get some bigger speakes but I need something for this May. I am getting booked fast. So I want to make a good impression.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 9:35 am
post your budget man...

for anything, i saw go for 2 powered speakers right now

hell craigslist and type in for some jbls

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 1:40 pm

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 2:08 pm
bogart wrote :
Presently I am using the BBE with my setup. Is the aural exiciter
better than the BBE??

YES!!!!! I own the BBE also..not even close.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 2:59 pm
juanisthebigdog, Your amp is only 280w per channel, that's what the problem is! I bet it clips like fuc*. You need to buy the matching bass bins to your speakers SW118V however i would buy the AX15W because there only 15's and will save your back. Buy the RMX 2450 this will give you 500W per channel at 8 ohm/when you run the tops on there own, so at the very worst your covered.

That's it! sorted...... bass bins and a bigger amp, AGAIN you need the bigger amp for when your just using the tops as when you use the bins as well you will have twice the power. As it is even if you linked bins into your current amp you would only have 450w per channel, this means you have no head room for boosting a low rate mp3 over a 320 at full blast. Just follow my advice and you will have it sorted, dont get an exciter there no substitute - there an add on to an already good system - a good system is something that you don't have yet.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 4:12 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
first make sure your budget is on the profitable side, always buy brand name the best you cn afford, but look for closeouts and use gear which could save you about half, life gear is losing value fast and is no status in overpaying.
things to consider:
are you mobile and if yes how would you transport the gear, do you have enough room in your car/van
how much can you lift
do you have help
how fast do you need to setup. the faster you need to be the less pieces of gear youshould have
try to add up your gear's current consumption and make sure that you stay in the limits of regular 15 amp fuses, you might find couple of circuits near by but is rare to find places with 20 or 30 amp outlet circuits

I did use the same Yamaha spks and they are loud but they need an eq to make them sound good and to be used only with subs

Light weight compact subs with high output are JBL mpro418s, mrx518 etc, you can find an old Mackie amp M1400I wich has a build in crossover and works great with the JBL subs

other good subs are the Peavey SP series or The Cerwin Wega but they are heavy.

I HATE POWERED SPEAKERS EXCEPT GENELEC SO GET A GOOD AMP FOR YOUR SUBS

when you buy a sub try to find out the specs of the driver anything under 18 inches and 4inch vented voice coil is anemic, and you want them in 4 ohm so your amp will get the most of it, peavey lomax black widow are great, also jbl but they are more expensive.
you should avoid mdf cabinets, look for birch wood.

if you want to keep it simple and you have money to burn get a pair of double fifteens by JBL SRX725 or SRX738 series and a qood QSC amp in PL or PLX series or a Crown I tech,DSI or XLS.
you want your amp to have a little more power then your speakers to avoid cliping and oscillation

you should target a max spl over 130db around 135db

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 6:34 pm
djlex wrote :
I HATE POWERED SPEAKERS EXCEPT GENELEC SO GET A GOOD AMP FOR YOUR SUBS

This is your opinion and you are welcome to it....personally all I use are powered/active speakers for my jobs. The maker of the speaker has already done the math for you, so the odds of you blowing a speaker are smil as long as you treat them right. That could be said for non- active speakers as well though.

@juanisthebigdog Don't let anyone tell you what to get....do your homework and select what is best for you.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 6:57 pm
thanks i have about 1000 dollars to play with

anymore suggestions would be welcomed

you guys are greatt

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 9:57 pm
I've seen so many power spks blown I can't count and guess what , most of the time is the amp and guess what else , most of them buzz because ground loops, most of the production companies that I worked with just took out the amps from power subs and use them as passive with no problems.
In theory it suppose to be like you said a perfect amp driver match, but unless the manufacturer makes the driver and the amp (like Mackie) is not going to be a perfect match and because of the costs(weight, space volume, air flow etc) issues they will cut corners and most of the power speakers are just a compromise solution some better then others but no better then a passive plus a real amp combination.
Another point is if they go bad you have no amp no spk so...

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 12:02 am
djlex wrote :
I've seen so many power spks blown I can't count and guess what , most of the time is the amp and guess what else , most of them buzz because ground loops, most of the production companies that I worked with just took out the amps from power subs and use them as passive with no problems.
In theory it suppose to be like you said a perfect amp driver match, but unless the manufacturer makes the driver and the amp (like Mackie) is not going to be a perfect match and because of the costs(weight, space volume, air flow etc) issues they will cut corners and most of the power speakers are just a compromise solution some better then others but no better then a passive plus a real amp combination.
Another point is if they go bad you have no amp no spk so...

I use Mackie speakers...also..what is the difference of the amp in the speaker blowing and the amp in the rack blowing? Your without an amp either way but with the speakers you still have one working at least.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 8:01 am
Mackie is on the good side too although I’ve seen quite of few pairs of 450 with the amps fried and most of them buzz but if that works for you best I respect that, I used 4 of those and an 18 mackie power sub at a lounge bar couple of years ago, they are really good for low and medium volume, their sound is realy warm and is not muddy, but if you need power they are just a strange kind of loud flat without any detonation just giving your audience a headache then they start to clip and go in to protection with noticeable recovery, things that never happend with ev , eaw, peavey or jbl passive speakers of the same power ratings, anyway the mackie power speakers are my favorite stage monitors or boot speakers but not for the front of the house and anyway they are pricey

now with $1000 budget First I would get an eq for $100(behringer deq1024);
then for $300 an used mackie m1400i fr with sub incorporated crossover;(http://cgi.ebay.com/Mackie-1400i-1400-2-channel-speaker-PA-amplifier-amp_W0QQitemZ370021192909QQihZ024QQcategoryZ23787QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem)
then for $400 a pair of used subs peavey sp118
then for $200 I would take that qsc to guitar center and trade it in plus $200 for a more powerful qsc

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 4:10 pm
For a crowd of 200 people, I use 2 carvin PM15 speakers that handle 400 watts RMS and 2 JBL Mpro 418s subwoofers handling 600 watts rms each one. The amps i use are QSC plx 1602 for the speakers and plx 2402 for the subs. Check out Carvin.com they have good speakers at an affordable price. They sound good too.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 9:11 pm
djlex wrote :
Mackie is on the good side too although I’ve seen quite of few pairs of 450 with the amps fried and most of them buzz but if that works for you best I respect that, I used 4 of those and an 18 mackie power sub at a lounge bar couple of years ago, they are really good for low and medium volume, their sound is realy warm and is not muddy, but if you need power they are just a strange kind of loud flat without any detonation just giving your audience a headache then they start to clip and go in to protection with noticeable recovery, things that never happend with ev , eaw, peavey or jbl passive speakers of the same power ratings, anyway the mackie power speakers

This might be true...if an idiot has over pushed them. I have used my 2 SRM450s with, a Peavey SP115P sub, and a Behringer EQ 1502 (separate sup out) along with an Aphex 204 Aurel Exiter from my Numark DXM01USB mixer, for crowds up to 600 on more than one occasion without any of the negatives you describe. The only time I have seen the types of problems you are describing is when some rookie has pushed the system too hard trying to impress their friends. Mackies are very good speakers when used in the correct environment and not pushed too hard...but that could be said for a lot of speakers, powered or not.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 10:07 pm
71%