Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: CPU TEMP????? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Givin the Demands that VDJ puts on the CPU, what would be an expectable temp for the CPU to run at?

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 8:51 am
If i really give it all i got for an hour or so i might reach 50°C... Normal running temp? Somwhere around 35°C

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:01 am
Looks like I have a BIG ISSUE.
With the cover off without running VDJ my CPU is running at 50*.
What step do I need to take to get this thing down to a safer temp?

Intel Pentium® 4 631 Processor Prescott 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:27 am
How daft - the running temp of your CPU depends on so much more than what software your running !

For starters:

1) The type of CPU
2) Speed its running t MHZ
3) Ventilation/fans
4) Graphics card
5) build quality
6) overclocking

etc etc

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:28 am
Windows XP Professional

We are Overclocked on the MB
Not on Video Card
Motherboard
Asus P5B Intel P965 Chipset, LGA775 compatibility, Intel Core 2 Duo and Extreme CPU support, Intelligent Overclocking Tools, PCI-Express x16, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA, 8-channel Audio, USB 2.0

Processor
Intel Pentium® 4 631 Processor Prescott 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB

Ram
OCZ OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Enhanced Latency Gold Edition Dual Channel Memory

Video Card
Sapphire Radeon X1600 PRO PCI Express 512MB DDR2 Video Card w/TV-Out, DVI & VGA

W/D 500 GB Hard Drive
W/D 500 GB Hard Drive

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:30 am
nickgoodman wrote :
How daft - the running temp of your CPU depends on so much more than what software your running !

For starters:

1) The type of CPU
2) Speed its running t MHZ
3) Ventilation/fans
4) Graphics card
5) build quality
6) overclocking

etc etc

Ventilation is being addressed today but the case covers are off and VDJ is closed.

Hard Drive Side of case is running cool.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:37 am
Hello

Talking about cooling anybody use a liquid cooling system on there PC's I am concidering installing one ? Im just worried about it leaking...

Later

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:48 am
Is 54 to 60* max on loading safe??????????????

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:58 am
If you have good fans in the case then having the case closed is better than having it open. Air flows better with the case closed.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 10:10 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
paulettecerra wrote :

Why ?? Overclocking is pushing a CPU or GPU beyond it's designed specs. Yes, this might work for some, but if you start to experience issues then you should start by going back to the defaults and remove the Overclocking.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 10:40 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
paulettecerra wrote :

Thats probably going to increase temperatures, if you're concerned then see how it runs at standard clock speed.

DJ MikeD wrote :
Hello

Talking about cooling anybody use a liquid cooling system on there PC's I am concidering installing one ? Im just worried about it leaking...

Later

I used to run one on an old PC, leaking isn't really a concern if done properly, and if you use deionised water then it's actually quite a poor conductor I believe.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 10:44 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
afaik an acceptable cpu temperature limit is upwards of 70C, so i wouldnt sweat it at 50. if it's a desktop, consider looking into more fans. if its a laptop, take note for your next purchase to check out the heated areas. if the top or underside of the laptop in the store (goto a place where they leave them on) is hot, then the heatsinks are not designed well enough. even if theyre doing nothing, the vents should be hot and the rest should be relatively cool. this is the behaviour of good heatsinked cpu and video gpu.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 08 @ 9:21 pm
It came down to just the CPU. The fan on it came in the same box and looks a lot better than what I’ve seen for replacements in the stores.
I did re-due the thermal Compound and added Two fans to help suck the heat from the CPU area.
Tonight at work the CPU temp stayed between 54 & 58* and the MB stayed at a cool 32*.
Looks good and will need to see what happens at my next hole in the wall gig with no ventilation or AC this spring.

Thank you for all your help.

John.
Pro DJ's Entertainment

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 12:50 am
TDBennett wrote :
If you have good fans in the case then having the case closed is better than having it open. Air flows better with the case closed.

Exactly, the case will run cooler, with the case closed.

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 1:01 am
DJ MikeD wrote :
Hello

Later

The only Small Form Factor that I know of with liquid cooling is this. I have this case with an 80, 500, and 2 TB drives in it. I am not using the liquid cooling, but just one 120mm fan. I am still testing, and waiting for another component. This case is made in America by a small company, and is not cheap, but well built.

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 2:31 am
bro,get a Zalman 9700 NT cpu cooler ;) works wonders :) Especially if you want to keep your machine overklocked

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 3:27 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Just clean your heatsink and Cpu with alcohol and get Silicon Silver to put on the CPU.

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 3:45 am
DJ-ALF wrote :
Just clean your heatsink and Cpu with alcohol and get Silicon Silver to put on the CPU.

Thanks, did that and really didn't help.

I'll check out the CPU fan. You my want to check out my blog, Thers pic of my road cace.

I am getting better cooling ing the case with the extra fan I added. that helped bring the cpu temp down to 54 to 58*. I'm limited on space so any new CPU fans eill need to fit the road case. Last night everything went well with the changes.

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 4:37 pm
alot of times there will be a unseen clog between the fan and the heatsink,
unscrew the fan off the heatsink n see if it has a mess.

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 5:10 pm

Posted Sat 16 Feb 08 @ 7:58 pm
74%