Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BPM shortcut?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am spending a LOT of time correcting the BPM, grid, and phase of all my primary dance songs. I wonder:

1) Is there a shortcut that I can create to go directly to the Manual BPM Edit box? Currently, on every song, I have to right click on that song, then select BPM, then select Manual BPM, the select the Edit BPM tab.... all this with a small mouse pad on the laptop. It's very redundant and time consuming.

2) Is there a way to "lock" the BEAT 1 on the grid so that as we are adjusting BPM, the BEAT 1 marker does not drift?

3) Has anybody tried to incorporate a "Test & Correct" feature, like PCDJ RED 5.2? It seems like if the BPM is initially calculated wrong, that there is only a handful of other possibilities that can work. In RED, you can cycle thru the other choices and listen to a loop, and when you get a continuous sounding loop, you know you've got the correct BPM. Very quick and accurate process.

Thank you!

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:17 pm
Think a procedure that would suit you fine is this...
(all are at the same place as you set BPM manually)

1) Go to the first beat of the song - SET ANCHOR

2) Go to 4th beat of the song / or 8th /or 16th... - SET ANCHOR

3) Choose anchor distance (4/8/16 according to above)

Voilva, you have correct BPM and CGBs :)

If BPM is already calculated correct, and you only need to move the anchors (CGBs) to the beats, press my name and read the shortcut setup in my blog

A new BPM engine is in the making, and might be what you say, "guessed possible values" where one can choose

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:21 pm
And there is a shortcut you can set to open the "EDIT BPM" dialogue box
Its called "edit_bpm" in keyboard shortcuts

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:24 pm

btw, to make anchor method work good, use as long anchor distance as possible, prefferably 16 or 32 beats.
and make sure you set the anchor EXACTLY on beat
(having a midi controller with jogs helps )

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:35 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
And there is a shortcut you can set to open the "EDIT BPM" dialogue box
Its called "edit_bpm" in keyboard shortcuts

PERFECT! That's EXACTLY what I needed. My carpel tunnel thanks you! I incorporated all 5 of those shortcuts, using "B" to open the BPM dialogue box. THANK YOU!

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:52 pm

np ;)

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:54 pm
By the way, I realize that 16 or 32 beats would give more accurate results. One more quick question: When we are lining up Beat 1 marker under the beat, should it be under the center of the beat? Or under the begining of the beat?

Posted Thu 07 Feb 08 @ 9:57 pm
having a situation with this Grid thing.... I understand the measures , 8, 16, 32 etc. but when i set on first beat (the wider marker) and then count to 32 setting the next marker on the first beat as well... my first marker slides off....its not quite true , like its shifting. I have mixed with my ears for years but would like to be able to perform this correctly. if i hit the sync button ... it won't jump off beat (which drives me crazy haha) any help will be appreciated. Michael

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 4:49 pm
The first beat 8 measures later would actually be on the 33 beat - not 32nd. Maybe that is your problem?

Posted Tue 19 Feb 08 @ 5:03 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Eric Sands wrote :
By the way, I realize that 16 or 32 beats would give more accurate results. One more quick question: When we are lining up Beat 1 marker under the beat, should it be under the center of the beat? Or under the begining of the beat?

VDj puts it on center by default. But you can use your own system as long as
all the tracks will follow the same rule :)

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 1:53 am
aparsonPRO InfinityMember since 2007
dj-in-norway wrote :

A new BPM engine is in the making, and might be what you say, "guessed possible values" where one can choose

Have you heard anything in terms of upcoming upgrade the waveform ( beatgrid ) display, like the one on SSL with different colors ?? I'm just wondering if that has even been considered.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 2:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)