Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: FELLOW VDJ USERS, I NEED YOUR HELP!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok guys, I know its been a while since I posted a thread but I have been trying to do all the reading I can to figure things out before I ask, but this past saturday night i was djing at this club with a friend of mine, and when it was my turn to play using vdj, cdj1000mk3s, tccds, herc mk2, and pioneer djm909, there were no pops or crackles, but sound was horrible compared to cd quality, why is that? I read on some post that WAV is better than MP3 is this true?

Also I have a collection of videos from Promo Only that I want to start mixing with but should I stick with .vob or try another format? This is a silly question but how can I preview the video that i'm cuing up without showing it to the audience? I heard VIP member "A man and his music" has two monitors and a switch?

Is it possible to juggle both video and music on one laptop? or should i invest in another laptop or macbook pro?

I have configured VDJ properly to get rid of hisses, cracks, and pops, with hercmk2 as my soundcard as my interface and two cdj 1000mk3s as my turntables, and a numark dxm06 as my mixer.

My specs: Core 2 duo5500 processor
2 gigs of ram
160gb harddrive
Windows Media Center O.S. (yes i know i should get pro or home xp but i configured it well after many trial and error, =) ]
Integrated Graphics card, (assuming i need to get the 945gm chipset)
VDJ PRO
1 TB Western Digital External Harddrive (advce: stay away from W.D. because it takes forever to load up files) lol,

Hope this helps,
Thanks Guys, I would not have learned so much if it wasnt for all the teamers and other vdj users,
JC

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 8:33 pm
You can preview the video in the skin on your monitor. The video skin has three screens, left player, right player, and main output. There is a separate video crossfader, that you can link to the audio crossfader. I use an external mixer, and the video fader on the DMC 2. You can also have some keyboard shortcuts to fade the video, or click on one of the screens to fade. I use .vob files, and they work well for me. You have a lot to learn, but there are a lot of teachers here.

The monitors I was talking about, are for the audience, that's what they see.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 1:21 am
well of course i have alot to learn, lol, i'm always still learning, so that little window that pops up i understand is my preview, but if im mixing at a party shouldn't i move that video and maximise it on the screen as the output? if that makes any sense, then those little screens in the vdj window are my preview screens? hm......also what do you recommend as for video instrumentals? or do you make your own using vegas or some other editing software, ?

also what do you recommend as for audio, wav or mp3? i was reading in some post in the forum that wav sounds way better at the club then mp3? is this true? i thought mp3 was supposed to be better?

Sorry for my novice questions, but I appreciate the patience,

=)

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 2:06 pm
You will need a dual output video card. One is the interface you see, with VDJ on it. The other is connected to a projector or TV monitor, that the audience sees. For practice it could be another computer monitor. I don't do any editing myself, but use Sonique visuals, Clips I get from links on this site, and from other members.

The wav format offers more information than .mp3, and sounds better in a controlled listening environment. Every club has it's sound system tweaked to the owners or installers taste. I was in this club in AC, and it sounded like shit to me, I don't care what he was playing. I am not playing to a crowd of audiophiles, but to a bunch of people trying to get laid, on some form of mode altering substance, and listen to music on their cell phones. I use mp3 at 320kbps and know my system sounds great.

In the end, it does not matter what I use, but what sounds good to you. So, do a test of both and pick which one you like.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 2:42 pm
A Man And His Music, Thanks for the help,
do you mind if I PM you for advice? or do you have msn messenger? yahoo messenger? or aim messenger?

I can learn alot from you,

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 11:31 pm
Have not got into the whole messenger thing, sorry. You are better off here in the forum, because some one is always here, and there are a lot of guys here smarter than me.

Posted Wed 06 Feb 08 @ 2:48 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)