Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VJ Shows

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I know lots of you guys "do video", but what do you do with video? I'd like to know how you get creative with video mixing, what you do that the next man doesn't? And how this works for you at gigs (where ever they may be).

Do any of you work with a second person? (to the benefit of your show).

Also, to save me creating another thread, could anyone direct me to any royalty free video clips/samples I can download?

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 4:28 pm
That's like asking a million DJs, what they do different. We are all different, and not playing for the same crowd at the same time. Doing video, in my opinion, is no different then doing audio. What makes me different from the other guy is, HE DON'T HAVE VIDEO. So from the beginning, we are not in the same league. If he does have video, how much. I have 3600+ and have no plans of stopping. What's he showing them on. I don't have the biggest monitors for my mobile rig, 2 37' LCD, and projector with a 10' screen. However, I can lift them onto the truss by myself, and it's enough for most rooms. If I do a gym or something, I can always rent bigger monitors. I don't want to brag, then again yes I do, I can mix video just as great as I do audio. I have plenty of effects built into VDJ, plus all the clips, and files I can get my hands on. The creativity is the same as with audio, I feel it. I don't know anything about play-list, virtual folders, filter folders, or any of that other fancy stuff. I don't have any idea, what I'm gonna play next. I also have a live feed PTZ camera that I can throw into the mix. I almost forgot I have a switcher and a splitter, so I can run 2 different video sources at the same time. Most of the time I work alone, that's why I'm called A Man and His Music. The only help I need is labor, when I have a full show, and only have an hour to set up. I get to the place 3 hours before start time, but the room is being used.

So, if you are not doing video, it just means I have more to offer the client. Now, there are some guys that also offer Karaoke, so they have more to offer than I do.

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 5:32 pm
What make me different then the other dj/vj around here....REAL simple....I play for the crowd the owner wants to attract, and then I program my night to make sure they have a great time and return night after night week after week.

In my over 20 years I have found that the VAST majority of crowds in the VAST majority of clubs that appeal to the MASS market don't care about mashups (most actually hate them and deservidly so as most are soooooooooo bad), they don't care about filtering, sampling, scratching, juggling, standing on your head, picking your nose, scratching with your shclong or picking every unknown eclectic underground myspace band out there to play.....they want to hear, dance to and see the music/videos in a very familiar way and they want their Britney request NOW, they want to get drunk and get laid.

Dj's like to be "different" and impress other Dj's with "cool effects" and eclectic music knowlege whiel most crowds want smooth mixing or good seques, great programming and a decent sized crowd to interact with. When you can keep that going in the same club week after week with fresh programming (not to mean being the first on the block to play a song) and knowing what song to play and when for maximum impact, when to switch genres appropriately and retain the crowd the OWNER wants in his/her establishment and not who you and your friends want...then and only then come talk to me about "Being Different". Being different for difference sake is bad!!!!!!!!

Just my humble ranting opinion

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 3:13 am
I love having VDJ for video affects. I love having choices for spontanious(sp) thoughts. Like playing audio while the slide show is going then switch to text for a gag " Jesica is looking HOT tonight " and do this while the changing colors. Just seeing the look on her face when this person sees this and laughs. Finding old cartoon / laugh track to throw in the mix. LIke In Living Colors " vanilla Ice " skit with jim carey and playing that or some other dump video for a quick change of scene. I generally have fun at my shows and I work very hard to make sure that I do which helps my audience have a good time.

Now Saturday club change the format 2 weaks ago to bring in the older clients which is fine for me now. Now I can go anywhere in my music and video and not worry about whom I'm playing to. The options are wide open now with the New enhanced VDJ.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 2:31 pm
dj-e-lectric wrote :
What make me different then the other dj/vj around here....REAL simple....I play for the crowd the owner wants to attract, and then I program my night to make sure they have a great time and return night after night week after week.

In my over 20 years I have found that the VAST majority of crowds in the VAST majority of clubs that appeal to the MASS market don't care about mashups (most actually hate them and deservidly so as most are soooooooooo bad), they don't care about filtering, sampling, scratching, juggling, standing on your head, picking your nose, scratching with your shclong or picking every unknown eclectic underground myspace band out there to play.....they want to hear, dance to and see the music/videos in a very familiar way and they want their Britney request NOW, they want to get drunk and get laid.

Dj's like to be "different" and impress other Dj's with "cool effects" and eclectic music knowlege whiel most crowds want smooth mixing or good seques, great programming and a decent sized crowd to interact with. When you can keep that going in the same club week after week with fresh programming (not to mean being the first on the block to play a song) and knowing what song to play and when for maximum impact, when to switch genres appropriately and retain the crowd the OWNER wants in his/her establishment and not who you and your friends want...then and only then come talk to me about "Being Different". Being different for difference sake is bad!!!!!!!!

Just my humble ranting opinion

I would not change a word. Well, humble is a little much for me, but everything else is great.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 2:53 pm
fatkatzdj wrote :
I love having VDJ for video affects. I love having choices for spontanious(sp) thoughts. Like playing audio while the slide show is going then switch to text for a gag " Jesica is looking HOT tonight " and do this while the changing colors. Just seeing the look on her face when this person sees this and laughs. Finding old cartoon / laugh track to throw in the mix. LIke In Living Colors " vanilla Ice " skit with jim carey and playing that or some other dump video for a quick change of scene. I generally have fun at my shows and I work very hard to make sure that I do which helps my audience have a good time.

Now Saturday club change the format 2 weaks ago to bring in the older clients which is fine for me now. Now I can go anywhere in my music and video and not worry about whom I'm playing to. The options are wide open now with the New enhanced VDJ.

I like this also.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 2:55 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I guess some are in it for the arts, and some are in it for the tarts.

I wouldn't go generalising about why people go to clubs, "to get drunk and laid" is simply not true, clubs are full of people in marriage/serious relationships, couples, and people who don't get drunk (whether they are T totals, or on an alternative drug).

Going to a club is a night out, and the better the entertainment is, the more "types" you will attract.

My question really was how you apply video to YOUR benefit, and how this maybe different from playing MTV videos, I'm interested in how artistic some of you get with the visuals, just as I know some of you are artistic DJ's.

Everyone is unique, and no two shows are the same, I'm not talking about "difference for difference sake".

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 4:19 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Bagpus> One thing that i recommend is that when your at a club, use the clip bank and do some advertising, overlay an add special and change the opacity so that its showing more on the video your playing. You can have alot of fun promoting with video, while at same time makeing some cool things happen. Alot of club owners love it when you promote other nights, so its kind of like mcing but now you can just display it!
Also if club is huge, you can promote some local business (of course they are paying for advertising).

I am trying to take it to the next step I suggest you visit vjforums.com I wanna tie virtual dj into the edirol 4 and than have my mac hooked up using modul 8/arkaos/resolume you can do some really cool things. Me and a buddy are trying to work something out so that we can tag team some local clubs and start doing some cool visuals/video with lasers and multi projection screens.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 5:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)