Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Few simple questions before VDJ Pro PURCHASE ;-) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

esdwaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi, it was a fun working with VDJ Pro, but my trial has expired. Before I spend almost 300 bucks I would like to ask you guys to answers me for these few easy questions.

1. My music database and all virtual/favorite/...etc. folders created in VDJ - are they all safe and won't be erased if I install purchased version?
Is there a way to make a backup of these "just in case"? Where this data is stored anyway? Should I uninstall Trial version before retail get installed or should I overwrite this one? Is there a risk I loose this data during this process?

2. I have tried to use Video mixing and it works fine. But I had a problem with visualization plug-ins. I read that there are 3 plugins included with trial version, but none was actually showing anything on the screen except Titler. What's going on?

3. Are all these visualization pug-ins that are on this website are free of charge, once I get VDJ Pro version?

4. My currently used computer is 6-years old Dell Latitude, it still serves the purpose great and I had no problems running VDJ even with video clips, however I plan to replace it soon for new machine, since I do not want myself neither my audience to be surprised when it finally dies. So my question is, will I be able to transfer VDJ software to the new machine without any licensing issues? Also what about the music library data with all virtual/favorite... folders , can this be transferred also without loosing any data?

I appreciate your prompt answer on these. Best regards, Steve

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 12:40 pm

1) Yes they are safe. But you could always back them up, before you install in worst case scenario. What version of VDJ demo do you have installed ? If its 5.x version, the database is in c:/my documents/virtualDJ + on the root of EACH drive. Copy all the XML files.
You dont need to uninstall the trial, and installing the full pro version process, should run fine :)

2) For some video effects to work, you have to turn on hardware acceleration in VDJ video settings, as they need hardware accelerated directX to work.

3) ALL plugins, skins, and so on, are FREE for pro version users yes :)

4) Yes, you can install your VDJ version on the new pc without any problems or hazzles.. and all info can be transferred.
With VDJ 5, ideally you can have all music on external drive,and you can plug the external drive in any pc that has VDJ 5.x installed, and all music/database will show up automatically. If its on your local C: drive, its easy to transfer to a new pc too

Hope that helps ;)

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 1:33 pm
Thanks dj-in-norway :-) These are the questions I was looking for. However there is still a problem with those included "visualization" plugins. To make sure I have installed VDJ Trial on another computer - my Desktop to check if they will appear on this one. And the situation is the same. Everything including video clips playback works great, but these plugins does not - except just one called "Titler". With every other plugin I get black screen and nothing more. Both computers have directX compatible video adapters (one has 9.0 and other has 10.0) and they both work well with video clips on VDJ, but not plugins. Any suggestions? I appreciate your time and help. Regards, Steve

Btw, I have "hardware acceleration" box checked on Video tab in VDJ Config.

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 2:55 pm

okey, not sure what plugins are installed in the demo...

What plugins is it, that "don't" work ?

all works;) but I guess you might use them wrong.

If you could say what plugins are in question, I could tell how they should work and not :)

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 3:02 pm
Thanks for the reply. Ok, I can choose one of these plugins:

Boom
Boom Auto
Camera
ClipBank
Negative
Slideshow
Sonique
Strobe
Strobe Auto
Text
Titler

None of these plugins work except last one - Titler.
And this is VDJ Trial 5.0 rev.4

What I basically do,
- I Enable the Video on the Video Tab
- then I activate Video Output by checking Activate [x] checkbox
- select TV Output to (Window), after this small window appears on the computer screen with VDJ logo.
- Other options below are as follow
[x] Linked Crossfaders
[ ] Decode when hidden
[x] Activate on load
[ ] Hide logo
[x] Use this plugin for audio-only files: ... [and here I select one of the above plugins]

Then I click OK and go to main screen, load the audio-only track, play it and the video window stays pitch black (except "Titler" plugin).
I have checked the My Documents\VirtualDJ\Plugins\VideoEffect\ folder and it contains those listed above plugins as set of 2 files each: .DLL & .INI. Any suggestions? Regards, Steve

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:07 pm
esdwa wrote :
Thanks for the reply.

[x] Use this plugin for audio-only files: ... [and here I select one of the above plugins]

That wont work ;) For most.. .
Some video plugins are good for audio only files (such as visuals like sonique), but most arent for that kind of use.

To activate those video effects when playing videos, use the drop down under the video preview skin on default video skin,
OR go to video effect browser in bottom of skin, and activate there

And now all works ;) Almost all video effects are for VIDEOS, not for audio files (Except some, like titler, sonique etc)

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:12 pm
I do not want to use them when playing videos. I actually do not care about videos at all - well sometimes, but most of the job I do is with audio-files only.

So what I want is to have some visualization when playing audio-only files. Basically I wanna have something displayed on my 2nd screen which is large projector while playing music only. This is better way to get the nice backgound on the dancefloor than blank sreen behind my back.

I found this instruction on YouTube and dude is doing exactly what I want to get with the audio-only files. He talks about a SVP files plugins and after Madonna clip ends, he plays mp3 file and there is the effect on the screen using audio-only plugin.

check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMSBqPBFuS4

Btw, are there any SVP plugins available for free here on VirtualDJ website I could download and install after purchase?
I appreciate your comment on these. Regards, Steve

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:22 pm
Use the Sonique for "use this for audio only". That is the one that will work as you wish. You can even put text over it. You have to put files into the clip bank, for it to work. You can get these and so much more, with pro version.

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:27 pm
I tried "Sonique" many times and the screen is pitch black. Only "Titler" works. What's wrong? Regards, Steve

ps. I hope there are more audio-only plugins available on VDJ website for Pro users. Are they?

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:32 pm

Several ways to do visuals for audio only files

1) Use Sonique (LOTS of free ones to download here) that are beat sensitive visual effects
2) Use VideoClip Bank, and run visual videos from there
3) Slideshow of still images

And more to come in next VDJ release ;)

Also, WHEN you do have a visual output in VDJ (sonique, clipbank or similar) THEN the video effects will work.
Because they then have a visual image to work on. They cant work on a "black image" if you understand ;)

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:33 pm

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:35 pm
I'm sorry, there may not be anything in the Sonique folder.

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 4:40 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
I'm sorry, there may not be anything in the Sonique folder.

I think you correct. Under the new version the dll. file is there but you have to physically download the graphic file from VDJ download center.

Posted Fri 01 Feb 08 @ 5:34 pm
Hi everybody and thanks a lot for all replies. OK, it was my fault since I did not load any video loops files before using this video effect so how could I get anything on the screen. Sometimes reading product manual with all the details pays off. Now I got these video loops running but I have to get better laptop, since while playing video and music from one deck, when I try to load the other deck with music, the first one get stuck - the CPU just can’t handle it and I can see that. However with my newly updated desktop that has Duo-Core processor everything works great so the VDJ functionality in this case was proven. So anyway for Clipbank, everything works as it should however those clips I got (mpeg) can't be synchronized with the music so I was looking to find any SVP plug-ins for Sonique and I could not find any. I found few on some website, but no single one worked. My goal with VDJ is to used such visualizations synchronized with the audio I am playing. On many occasions it's just the right way to create desirable party atmosphere and let people gets in mood on the dance floor. So my last test with VDJ would be to have couple of samples of SVP running to check what hardware requirement as it goes to PC I have to have if I want to include this feature with my dj-work. Does anyone have any Sonique samples I could try or are there any tools available that would allow me to create such plug-in? I appreciate your feedback. Regards, Steve

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 12:59 pm
There's a few .SVP files available at:

http://www.honto.com/av/

Theres some more available on Deviantart, here:

http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/visualization/sonique/?order=9&alltime=yes

But sifting through those one Deviantart looks like it could be a bit of a hit & miss affair.

However, if you want some more stylised visuals, you could always use other visualisation software such as RabidHamsters excellent R4, the equally brilliant G-Force or Whitecap by Soundspectrum. R4 is a bit pricy at £200 pounds, but the Platinum version of G-Force (which is what you'll need for it to pick the sound up from VDJ is only $30.

http://www.rabidhamster.org/R4/main.php
http://www.soundspectrum.com/

Steve.

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 3:34 pm
steve_djdawson, thanks a lot for all the tips and links. This Soundspectrum software looks great and it's pretty cheap. Can't wait to see it in action once I get back home. Looks like my next party in 2 weeks may the real breakthrough. Hope to get new laptop by that time unless SVP's won't need that much pf processor power. Let me check it first. :-)))))))) Regards, Steve

Posted Mon 04 Feb 08 @ 4:19 pm
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it very much. Tried to use few SVP's recommended, none of those worked with VDJ :-( Yesterday I have ordered brand new ThinkPad, should work without problems with video material including loops given above without freezing already played mp3s. Can't wait to get it to have it tested to make sure no surprises will happen and get VDJ finally registered$$$ :) Can't wait for it as much as to check all available goodies to registered users. Still conrerned about SVP goodies. Is there a software available that allows to create those Sonic plug+ins by itself? Again, thanks a bunch for all the answers.

Posted Sat 09 Feb 08 @ 2:20 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No the Sonquie plugins have to be coded and then compiled by a developer , but you can use a massive range of Freeframe FX check out the freeframe forum

Posted Sat 09 Feb 08 @ 2:25 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
esdwa

in sonique are you activating slideshow also is your transparency slider at the right setting, only asking after a cursory glance over the previous posts, forgive me everyone if this has already been mentioned

Tayla

Posted Sat 09 Feb 08 @ 8:34 pm
Today I finally received my brand new ThinkPad (T61 T7500, 2GB RAM) and started testing VD using Video Skin and 2nd monitor to play mpg loops referred earlier by dj-in-norway (low resolution MPG files). The mp3 did not got stuck anymore, I was able to load new song while playing old one as well as video on 2nd screen in full screen mode. However I did experienced VDJ to freeze completely two times during the 1.5 hour session. It happened while I was loading new loop into ClipBank tray and once it freezed when mp3 song just ended. The program interface was completely inoperative but music was still playing till it ended and that it was a silence. I am pretty disappointed since I can't afford that to happen in front of the audience - I can basically loose the reputaiton.
It looks like I have to play videos on separate machine and forget about playing music videos with VDJ or I have to look for VDJ alternative. But before I decide, does anyone have any suggestions or similar observations regarding playing music and video simultaneously? Maybe VDJ is just not reliable enought to handle both? I appreciate your feedback. Regards, Steve

Posted Wed 13 Feb 08 @ 7:15 pm
44%