Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I want the same as Dennis Ferrer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

I'm kinda new here, so again hello to everybody.

My story so far:

I'm playing gigs on a regulare bases: Parties, weddings, bars ,etc.... using my pioneers. Not as a pro but sometimes i do get paid.
I like to go and look in stores for good music on cd's. Thing is if you don't want to waste to much money, buying compilations is a must.
Unfortunately most comps are mixed!. That's why a started to buy mp3 on the net. But i really hate to burn them on cd's, labeling and downloading leaflets, sorting them out takes hours. Not to mention cd's are heavy and for the environment.....?

Last feb 07 saw Dennis Ferrer; he came in, plugged his Laptop, played his gig, packed and went off.
I stood right behind him and i can't say if he was really djing?
What i want is the same luxery of having all my music stored on my laptop, plug it into the mixer and start djing.
I've read a lot during my search and i finally found this site.... halleluja!!

I know Dennis is using Virtual Dj with a Pioneer skin and he uses timecoded cd's so he can use the Pioneers as a controller?

My Q's:

For my regular job i'm travelling all over the world. Mylaptop joins me everywhere. Sometimes i end up in bars or local parties.
It would B great if i could spin some music, just connecting my laptop! A soundcard, cables, the program, timecoded cd's controller. Do i need a controller? Can a mouse do the trick ;-)

- What do i need and how do i set it up or where do i get the RIGHT answers?
-in fact; i just want what DF has.

Many tnx in advance & peace to all of you.

Yours truly,

Bob Deluxe

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 6:36 am
DjMehowHome userMember since 2007
you need a laptop, external sound card (a hercules MK2 is cool cause you can use it as controller in confined spaces as well as a sound card), legit version of Virtual Dj 5, and you can download the time coded files to burn to cd to allow your pioneers to be controllers, read the tech boards to find out the best way to burn them and what speed and if they must normalized etc etc. on here somewhere is a downloadable pdf on how to connect it all up so it works 100%,

if i've left something out i'm sure someone will fill in for me, happy mixing,

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 8:36 am

Dennis Ferrer uses this :

- A Sony Vaio laptop (but you can get a smiliar good laptop)
- Virtual DJ 5
- Timecode CD's
- Pioneer CDJ 800/1000 to control VirtualDJ
- A Pioneer skin for VDJ

I also believe he as maya 44 or esi u46 dj soundcard, but any other similar soundcard will do.

If you have nothing of above, a recommended pacakge might be getting Numark Virtual Vinyl, that includes almost all, except the laptop ;)
(same software as VDJ )

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 8:55 am
The nice thing about VDJ is that you can start simple: Buy the software and an proper sound card (like for example a maya or u46) and you could start. You could upgrade later to buy timecode vinyls (note that with soundcards mentioned above, you could use already use freely downloadable timecode cds) or a (midi) controller. Lately lots of controllers are released or announced, look for them in the post from dj-in-norway in the general forum. A good start was also mentioned by dj-in-norway: you could buy the virtual-vinyl package.

And your comment on compilation cds: Try the compilations of Hed Kandi. Most of them are unmixed and even songs / remixes of Dennis Ferrer are included on them.
Ewout

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 10:08 am
Dear members of da board,

Thanks for the replies, as from monday i'll go and look after your suggestions.
I allready have a laptop, cdj's & mixr 2, in allmost every bar or @ every party they have a mixer and cdj's.
Purchasing the software & the soundcard can't B difficult.
I suppose, i can find some tutorial about gettin' started or setting things up somewhere here......(Wires, cables,where to plug-in)?

I'm off. Have a paid gig tonite ;-)

Tnx for the advice.
Hope you here me soon.
I'll post the results of the efforts.

Have a nice w-end.

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 11:37 am
kotdbPRO InfinityMember since 2007
"Dennis Ferrer uses this :

- A Sony Vaio laptop (but you can get a smiliar good laptop)
- Virtual DJ 5
- Timecode CD's
- Pioneer CDJ 800/1000 to control VirtualDJ
- A Pioneer skin for VDJ

I also believe he as maya 44 or esi u46 dj soundcard, but any other similar soundcard will do. "

Right so how does his setup go?

Does he turn up unplug the cd decks and plug them into his soundcard then take the outputs from the card and plug that into the house mixer?

Bit confused. It must be a right pain doing that if someone else is on before. Or does the world of superstar dj's operate in a different way?

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 3:27 pm
Hi, i think that's how you would normally have to do it.

There's also a "pass through" feature, so you could set all that up at the start of the night, turn on the "pass through" featrure, then just turn it off again when it's ur turn.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 3:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)