Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Behringer DJX700 Mixer - Cheap, bur worth the risk?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This thing seems way too cheap for what it does!

Does anyone have one? If so could you comment on reliability and audio quality please?

Not bothered about the BPM & Effect functions.

I've only used Mk2 and NTC to date, which i use at gigs, but this mixer is even cheaper than both of those, is it safe to use at gig (Mobile DJing) or too risky due to high risk of component failure?

I can live with Sliders and knobs not having the best tactile feel, i can also live with needing to look after it if it's a bit delicate, but i can't live with the risk of it breaking down on me during normal use.

I'm not a scratch DJ, so wouldn't be abusing it too much.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Please don't point me in the direction of DMJ600's etc.... completely out of my budget !!!

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 8:29 am
i have a djx700 that i use for both vdj radio mixing and partly house parties...might look cheap...but if u take care of your stuff...it lasts..i work my faders like a mad person..lol..still works perfectly after 1 year+

dj reaper

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 8:32 am
I've noticed the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio is 80 db), that is really low! Never seen a DJing piece of equipment rated so low.

I've read that anything under 90 db isn't really accepatble for public performance.

Can anyone confirm this, i would be using this with a 1200w system and a 2500w system, with all other equipment rated over 100 db SNR

Thing is, if i buy it and test it, i won't be able to return it if the package is opened.

Like i said i can live with a little lack of quality in terms of tactile feel, but not a lack of quality which may induce failure and certainly not lack of quality in output to the degree of which it is considered unacceptable.

Can anyone comment on how SNR 80 db would sound?

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 9:18 am
all ive heard are bad things about berhinger products. Remember: Its cheap for reason. Taco bell of instruments.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 10:19 am
Hi Mista Seever

Thanks for the feedback, however, whilst noted, i'll reserve judgement until i get feedback from people with hands on experience of this particular model over a period of time.

I'm thinking of this as a little like buying a Car, yes you can spend loads of money on a new Car, get a nice ride, all the mod cons. great build quality through out. But you could also spend money on a budget car, whilst it may not have the quality through out, it may have the quality in the areas that matter to you, maybe not fun to use, but functional and dependable over a long period of time.

You may be right, it could be a complete waste of time, but on the other hand it could be an astute purchase which is functional and dependable if nothing else.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 11:01 am
Just look at the hercules it's cheap dose not even have xlr's but so many people DJ from them inc myself from time to time.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 11:55 am
Ive been using a Behringer mixer for about 18 months. My one has 4 mic inputs. Within 6 months one of the mic inputs packed in, 6 months
later another one gave up too.

Im now about to replace it, before anything else goes wrong.

I used to have a Behringer crossover, that lasted 9 months. Not good.

Dave

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 12:12 pm
thanks dave.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 12:25 pm
Thanks for all your feedback people.

Well, i've spent alot of time (many hours) reading many reviews all over the web.

Mixed bag, people seem to be either prasing the hell out of it or ripping it to pieces, but i guess you are only really compelled to write a review on something if you're either over the moon about it or just furious at your purchase!

But i'm gonna go for it, why? you may ask, well i came across a number of reviews by very experienced DJs (i even researched them!) who were very complimentary about it. Also by going by the websites average user ratings, which is probably well over 700 people when totaled from the various sites. It sits at around the 85% mark, which is decent, not superb, but decent.

Doesn't matter what you buy, you can always get a dud if you are unlucky, but Behringer have an excellent replacement process so i've read.

Ultimately, for a Mixer at this price with this feature set, i'm willing to take a small risk and maybe i'll end up with something i'm really happy with which has cost what i can easily blow on a night out in London and not even remember the next day!

If it gives me loads of problems, i'll get a replacemnt under the warranty and sell it on ebay with out of losing too much money and just put it down to experience.

The mixer is about £115 including delivery, although quite a few sites are selling it close to or more than £200, so getting most my money back shouldnt be too hard.

I'll probably retire it to home use/backup once i've saved more funds.

Will be taking my MK2 as backup mixer to my gigs, so all in all, as far as i'm concerned the purchase isn't too risky.

Wish me luck.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 6:02 pm
I have a DJX700, I have used it on clubs, gigs and home. No problems at the time. Take care of the dust because faders and pushbuttons are not sealed, so dust and smoke from fog machines may cause some troubles. tactile sense is good for me (my old mixer was a Numark DM-1825). Beat assist is a crap, but the three band Eq works fine.

I must agree with some reviews you mention, It is a decent piece, good value for the price.

Luck

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 7:17 pm
Just got one.

Been playing with it for an hour so, although, with all the audio through my earphones. No speakers to output to where i am at the moment.

See my initial review below:

There are 4 areas which are important to me.

- FUNCTIONALITY - Do the controls function properly and effectively in all the important areas (i exclude BPM counters and effects from this)
- LAYOUT - It is easy and instinctive to use, can you use all the controls without fear of nudging something you don't want to.
- SOUND QUALITY - Is the sound acceptable quality acceptable for public performance?
- RELIABILTY - Willl the unit peform & last if treated well and looked after sensibly?

FUNCTIONALITY
In the hour i played with it everything seemed good, a plethora of monitoring options which would cover anyone's monitoring preferences. All knobs worked ideally, faders work fine but are almost entirely frictionless, some poeple like this, some don't, i prefer a little more friction. All the upfaders work on a curve rather than a straight line, so the higher up the fader is the more difference a slight movement makes in levels. I would of preffered a straight line, but i can work with this. The crossfader can be adjusted to your preference, EQs changes work well, as do EQ kills (They kill the enire range). All buttons respond ok. It's easy to assign any channel to Side A or B of the crossfader by simply turning a knob (sittuated either side and just above the crossfader)
Note: I couldn't test a MIC at this point

Functionilty Rating: 9 out of 10 (Dropped a point due curve on Upfaders)

LAYOUT
I won't even bother writing too much here, why? well because as most people know the DJX700's layout is almost an exact copy of the DJM600. In summary, it's an exteremly logical lay out, i didn't find my self scanning around mixer loooking for functions, you are just instinctively drawn to the right place. Earphone input is on the top face as is the MIC, would of preferred these on the front or rear

Layout Rating 9/10 (Dropped a point for Earphone & Mic inputs on Top face)

SOUND QUALITY
Can't comment until i've hooked it up to my system, headphone quality sounded good.

RELIABILTY
Time will tell !

Well that's all the areas that were really important to me, i also quickly comment on Build quality and Looks, because they are worth mentioning obviously.

BUILD QUALITY
The unit definitely has a bit of a fragile feel to it, will definitely need to be aware of this and be careful when handling. When i say fragile, i don't mean that it feels like it's all about to full apart on you, but it wouldn't be able to take the abuse that more expensive mixers could. All the knobs, faders and buttons etc responded decently without any undesired movements (i.e. fader wobble). Basically the wholeunit feels pretty well put together, everthing is tight... but light. The housing is decent quality, but a little on the thin side by the feel of it. (Would dent easily i would imagine)

Build Quality rating 6.5/10. Not great, but not to the degree that it stops anything working in the way it should.

LOOKS
Very easy on the eye, i like the brushed alluminium finish on the top (some may not). The knobs ,dials and faders look a llittle cheap. The logical layout helps it all look smart, nothing chaotic going on here. Lights wise, well, i've yet to see it in the dark, but it has LED level indicators for all input channels and the master (Green-Orange-Red), LEDs for channel selecting buttons (Red), LEDS for EQ Kills (Red). You also have the BPM counters and Effect Selectors which all display LCD numbers in RED. The effect button lights up blue when selected. So a fair amount going on lights wise.

Looks Rating 7.5/10 Yeah happy with the looks, definitely looks like a unit that would cost over £300 rather than just over £100.

CONCLUSION
I can't really come to an ultimate conclusion on the DJX700 at the moment, so i would say that so far it seems promising, i was on a tight budget, and it appears this it definitely will do a job for me functionality wise, i just hope the sound quality is decent and the reliability is good. If they both are, i'll be over over the moon about it and would consider this a shrewd purchase indeed. Time will tell !

Please note, the above is reviewed from my perspective, what i feel is important for me (so a selfish review really). You guys may have completely different priorites?!

I don't really have alot of mixer experience, i normally just jack my MK2 into one channel on an external mixer (leave it on that channel), monitor from the Mk2 and then use my NTC to control VDJ's internal mixer, or i would jack straight into my amp from my sound card (depending on the Job)

So please don't think i think this an expert review, because it's not (umm, that's obvious isn't it!), it's just my review from my perspective but maybe you or someone somewhere got something from it? :)

Posted Fri 18 Jan 08 @ 9:16 am
I'll update this review once i've tested it better over a period of time.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 08 @ 9:28 am
I have this mixer. Hate it for what I do. I'll sell it to you for $100.

Posted Sun 20 Jan 08 @ 3:19 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
I have this mixer. Hate it for what I do. I'll sell it to you for $100.

Sorry, i already have it... plus i'm in the UK.

I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it on Ebay though.

What do you hate about it?

Posted Sun 20 Jan 08 @ 6:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)