Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bar, Pub & Nightclub fun !! Any ideas?? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I' ve been DJing full time in Montreal bars for 30 years now and have run out of ideas to attract new clients or keep regulars coming back more than once or twice a week. I host Karaoke Nights, Trivia Nights, Video Party Nights & DJ/Karaoke Nights at one place but it's starting to be old news... I'm looking for ideas that other bar entertainers have been successful doing whether it be a weekly, monthly or nightly event to attract patrons. This message may also help other club/pub DJs to get more ideas to generate busy nights or get more work at the club/pub they already work at. I work in the same club 5 nights a week for the past 7 years pretty much doing the same nightly events but I am always looking for new ideas but don't have a chance to see what others are doing out there... It could be something simple or something that can work all night. Share your successful nights and I'll or other posters will help you with what we do if you need some guidance.

Here's my schedule:

I work on the following nights from 6pm till 3am(long hours to fill at 46 years old)
Tuesdays: I run the dart league for the club(approx 50 players)
Wednesdays: I do Trivia from 7pm to 9pm then karaoke(older crowd) & karaoke contests(12 weeks a year) till close
Thursdays: Happy Hour drink specials but I need something to add to it otherwise I'm just DJing videos
Fridays: DJing till close
Saturday: DJ/Karaoke younger age group (18 to 35)

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 6:37 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
MOVE TO CANCUN!
OR ANY OTHER TROPICAL PARADISE RESORT

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 9:43 pm
What, No Monday Night Hockey Night!....how about the American Dollar Limbo "How Low Can You Go".....on the serious side get one of your liquor reps to sponsor a snow bunny calender contest, sex always sells....get together with a travel agency and give away trips to tropical destinations, work "Guitar Hero" contests into your karaoke nights..........

Coming up with promotions is really easy...advertising them when the cheap owners won't spend any money, that's the hard part!

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 10:21 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
so you should own the joint!

hire a promoter to bring in different crowds
alternate a kind of ethnic party like salsa night or euro style or ibiza chill, not that you need any more of that.
a good website helps
mixing activities like having a pool table area
video helps too
drinks special with happy hour, maybe some good to day for heures d'oeuvres works all the time

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 11:08 pm
On the slower nights, I have come up with Madden Tournies or other Video games like that. This is good for about 2 months at a time and it brings in a paycheck and a little more bar action that normally wouldn't be there anyway. I like doing different ideas. I just want to get the bar name out there as fun and different. Your right Karaoke is starting to play out.

I do video golf tournies, madden, guitar hero... The golf is not a professional similator but after they get a couple of drinks in them. They don't care anyway. The golf shows on the big screen and the other games tournies show on seperate screens in an area with multi systems.

The guys do the video while there girlfriends or woman do interactive trivia.

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 11:51 am
The new craze in my area has been Guitar Hero Night. I'm thinking of adding this to my book of services.......seems to be almost as popular as Karaoke night!!!!!!

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 1:09 pm
What is guitar hero night?

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 2:37 pm
I guess nobody would like to answer and help me out. Sheesh!

Posted Sat 05 Jan 08 @ 1:04 am
bryantpb wrote :

I don't Know for sure - But I would run it something like this.......

$1.75 Shooter for every level passed
$5.75 Jug of beer for every skill challenge passed

$25.00 bar tab for the Contestant that Went the farthest that night.

$100.00 bar tab to anyone who can beat the game in one session - Start to Finish without making a single mistake.

Cheap beer and video games can go hand in hand - plus the bar will like the fact that customers are spending money for drinks as opposed to coming in for freebies

Posted Sat 05 Jan 08 @ 2:40 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
bryantpb wrote :

From the video game that is very popular here in the States.

I have often suggested IPod night. Everyone brings in their IPod loaded with say 30 minutes worth of music. The most popular IPod playlist gets a 50dollar bar tab.

Posted Sat 05 Jan 08 @ 8:03 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Get some stripper girls once a month or so. Last Friday/Thursday of every month and see what interest you get. And yeah you play the sounz :)

Posted Sat 05 Jan 08 @ 5:21 pm
Trust me... We have enough "full contact" strip clubs in Montreal so it won't work in the Pub I work at. I'm actually looking for ways I, myself can keep busy and generate busier nights as it's the same old every night. Need new ideas to keep them coming.

Does any DJ on the forum work in nightclubs and have to do more than just DJing to entertain? Like games, theme nights, etc... I play all kinds of games at weddings, etc but I need to find long term fun things to do in a bar enviroment.

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Sat 05 Jan 08 @ 6:43 pm
another idea that i could think of, because it sounds like everyone else in this post said or posted them already, lol,

try dance contests, like couples or males against females. For example, why not bring in a choreographer, once a month, that way it never dies out, and people look forward to it. this will be similar to that other game i think fatkatz posted up earlier, about doing a game once a month and seeing how far they go into the game without messing up, and then they get that 100 dollar bar tab, or something like that. sorry im not quoting precisely but the idea sounded good to me, so basically for like a latin night, which is good on wenesdays or thursdays, try something where couples will bring in their friends, and hire a choreographer. then have the choreographer show them a routine and see how long they can go without messing up. the couple that lasts the longest wins and gets that 100 dollar bar tab, or something like that.

thats what i do when i spin at clubs, and it works pretty well. its something you can do before the night starts off, so times could be like from 7-9 or from 6-8 something like that,

hope this helps,

JC

Posted Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 4:01 pm
Sounds like a great idea but the ultimate concept is to bring in money for the pocket. You might end up losing money especially if the bar pays for it and they lose money.

Posted Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 4:25 pm

funmasterfrank said,
'I play all kinds of games at weddings, etc but I need to find long term fun things to do in a bar enviroment. "

What kind of games do you play at weddings, can you list a bunch? I could use some at a karaoke VFW fun night once in a while.

Posted Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 7:23 pm
Cheers!

I worked for a nightclub that went belly up and left behind a 400 page binder of customized nightclub theme ideas, drinking contests, contacts for touring bar acts, and basically anything to help a bar generate excitement and fun.

What I would love is to do is offer it to anyone here for free in return for someone who would transcribe it word for word on a text document so that I could personalize it for future nightclub ventures. I'd do it myself, but simply have no time. I even thought about buying one of those pen scanner dealys but was afraid that it wouldn't be that accurate.

If you have the time, I have the book that will turn any nightclub into a packed house.

Email me (tallestdjinamerica@hotmail.com) if interested.

Posted Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 8:59 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
funkmasterfrank

had a similar problem years back on a mid week night, same sort of thing what in the hell can we do to keep the punters interested, i devised a point system for four bar games on a handicap basis which meant anyone could win and on the first night one of the girls won, the games included pool, darts, dominoes and table football, we had loads of fun because the guys that were good at pool lost out usually in the other games

if you or anybody else wants my handicapping system plus the score sheets to use or adapt leave a message here

Tayla

Posted Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 9:07 pm
Hi Tayla

Sounds like fun, I would like to no a little more about this if you got time.

Thanx
Dan

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 2:12 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
daniel

pm me and i will get the details to you, forgot to mention the guys were gutted when a young lass won the first night, look on there faces was priceless, even the guys that are rubbish at pool are joining in, they cottoned on they can win the smarmy sods at their own game... when you see the scoring you realise anyone can win thats what makes it a good bar tournament/laugh

Tayla

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 6:31 pm
well. the past seems to repeat it self.. lots of the old things we use to so we revamp and spit out.. anyone for rock siz and papper.. I made this stuff last a entire mont and the bar filled winner got 200 a week and final winner trip to vegas.. so anything is posible..

Posted Sat 19 Jan 08 @ 6:45 pm
74%