Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: how to recover from an offf nite

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Played at a party new years eve at a boat club , a gym sized room w/ vdj 3.4 mk2
prodigy b-52
2- jbl eon g2s
2- jbl pwrd jrx 118 subs

It was approx 250 guest

introductry music top 100 r@b -hiphop- and pop
next old school r@b dance from mostly 80s keep riseing to the top, frankie beverly befor i liet go
then mfsb love is the message , my love is free,
then house music like follow me

everything seemed ok people were dancing and tapping there feet and moving there heads to the beat

then it happend playing house music ten city i made amix that was off bpm matched but two songs by ten city just didnt go well and the dance floor cleared.

I tryed to change gener w/ line dances electric slide and chacha to put people back on the empty dance floor and it worked

but after the line dances i had a empty dance floor
I became frustrated trying different type of music to get my party goers back on the dance floor but i could only get a few

Then the request came and were asking for jakie wilson and beyonce

it seem like at the begining of the party everything was going well the people were 40 and over

funny thing after 12 my gust seemed to change to a younger crowd the older people went home i guess and the 20 to 30 crowd came and i didnot make the ajustment in time.
HAS anything like this ever happen to u - and how do u recover??

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 6:43 am
Don't feel bad. My job canceled and I ended up booking a restaurant last minute. Even though the $$ weren't bad ;). However only 14 people showed. yes, 14. But you know what I had them dancing for 2 1/2 hours of the three hour set. Not too bad.

If I do have a bad set I end it immediately and switch up immediately. I may do a mixer to get them up, line dance, slow dances also work very well when you have an older crowd. Don't be scared to play two, then slowly speed back up. I may say something on the mic or even get out on the floor myself if the job warrants that. Its just a matter of feeling out your audience and going with it. You know once you hook the line you can play just about anything any they go nuts.

If all else fails go to the bar and ask the bartender to double up all of the drinks...

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 7:03 am
lol..im just a bedroom dj who barely gathered his peanuts..and started doing house parties and school dances..and in HOUSTON..where every religion u can think of is mixed in like a cookie dough...man playing the wrong music at the wrong time..ull get a bunch of drunk mexicans trying to fight some salvadorians,,:) but if the dance floor get empty...look at the crowd.( the hot looking chicks) and see if they are moving..jus a little..experiment with different styles of music..and if u see one type that gets the girls jamming..stick to it and i guess thats pretty universal..guys follow the hot chicks on the dance floor.

my 2 cents..of less than 1 and a half year experience..compared to the ages and ages of experience some of you guys ( kaoz and TERRY)..*whisper* old farts...joking

dj reaper. still a NOOB!!

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 12:49 pm
Any DJ worth his weight in salt has been and will continue to have those kinds of nights. Just put it in perspective and analyze the situation to try different methods. Sometime, the crowd is not a real dance crowd. I go and solicit request and base my set on the responses. Sometimes the crowd wants a spacific songs and you can't possibly know what they are.

How many of you had this happen. You find a song or two that rocks but the next song empties the floor. You find another set of songs that rocks but the next song tanks. The crowd is very finicky and hard to please.... makes for a very long night mentally.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 2:11 pm
You may have shot your load too early. I can see the crowd, just by the play-list, and you gave them too much too early. If you play all your sure fire tracks in the beginning, what do you have left, when the going gets tough? For me, Love Is The Message is not a early track, because I know what kind of a reaction I am going to get. The same with line dances, I save them for later, no matter how many request I get for them. As said before, a few slow tracks thrown in, because they can't dance to 20 minute sets anymore, I know I can't. However, I also know that sometimes, no matter what you do, it's just not gonna happen.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 2:18 pm
I have been noticing lately that as long as you see people moving thier heads or feet around the bar, but are not on the dance floor, that is fine for me. I like to have people dancing, but remember when you are in a bar setting floor turnover is big. If they stay on the floor all night, they are not buying as many drinks. I have had problems like this and most people are fine until they hear a song on genre of music they dont like. If nobody come up and requests a song, it is not always a bad thing. Most people will let you know only when they DONt like something. Well this is what I can say for bars at least. I work 3 bars and 1 club a week. The club is different, I want people on the floor at all times.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 2:31 pm
I actually prefer to get a night like that once in a while, as it stops you becoming stale and repetitive.

When I start digging for songs to get people up, I tend to come across songs that I hadn't played in a while, and these also tend to be the ones the crowd are after.

Personally, my opinions are this; Try not to get downheartened, it happens... but more importantly, see this as being some of the most invaluable practice that you will ever have as a DJ. It's one thing to be able to play music to many, but it's another thing to be able to keep people up on the dancefloor having a good time. This is what makes the difference between a good DJ, and a GREAT DJ.

Steve.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 2:38 pm
AMaHM is right ....... gotta peak near the end , not the beginning

keep playlists and virual folders for different crowds , occasions , genres , bpm .......and filter folders too

i love doing that making folders of all kinds ......

for any gig , i try to always have 2 to 3x the number of trax already picked out ..... for all ages events you should be able to get some segment of the crowd out there at any given time

the last 2 hours should be yer power party hours ....dance 'em and drink 'em into tips , overtime and exhaustion ...... they can go home in a wheelbarrow or a cab ........

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 3:35 pm
On occasions when this happen you just have to bite the bullet as its an experience all DJs will have. I had a six hour gig and had request for party cheese an hour into the gig accepting the fact that i will have to top this later. Sometimes you have to pull a rabbit out of the hat its a great feeling when you do . You have to create a balance if the floor is packed most of the night the bars are loosing money however as someone pointed out if folk are at the bar enjoying the gig and spending then job done. Obviously a differnet senario if its a private gig.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 3:54 pm
YOU GUY ARE GREAT THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT

AFTER READING YOU POST U GUYS HAVE GIVEN ME HOPE

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 4:28 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Previous to the gig find out as much as posibe about the event, the theme , the ppl and be prepared for everything.
Make sure you are getting enough rest, if you tired or sick you will never be briliant.
know your gear, have a setup plan, get enough time buffer to set up and have some back up gear.
LET THEM BEG FOR THE GOOD MUSIC.
Do not panic , you are in control and with VDJ you can find music in second.
Most of the time with older tough crowds a great slow song is going to open the floor, then observe and build up tempo, also have your super hit folder , your ever green hits and group dances, also get what ever is hot on tv and radio for the last couple of monts.
In the begining do a jazzy house, new and pleasent, not too loud not too slow, not too fast, just good enogh to get them tap for your rhythm then drop the bomb, loud!.
Do not be afraid to talk to them, you just have to be in to the light with a good mic, adjusted for your voice and be sure the next time you want to address them, to be in the same spot.
You have to know that is hard to please everybody and there are tough crowds of tired people over 40 that will never dance, but they can't resist that great song, to hold their partner and if they go back, just play radio style easy listening till they get enough to drink and want to party, you can also get the host that hired you to get them pass inhibition and moving, also let them know you would love to play their request as long that fits the event.
Do not give in to party poopers, if you have a full dance floor and they want to announce the desert or somebody wants a sad song to kill yourself, just say no, or ignore them, or delay them, or if you have to, just let everybody know that is somebody's else ideea and if people are reacting negative just cut it and get on with your good stuff.
Tehno is great for the clubs and teenagers but is hard to do with older crowds, hip-hop is frivolus with a lot of foul language, so choose your songs carefully, etnic groups are looking for their music.
The hot chick strategy sometime back fires creating more inhibition, but if you get the normal girls on the floor the hot ones wil be there anyway.
Also good rhythm and clear loud pumping sound helps, always do the subs !
Just a pair of eons will never do the job, it will just give them a headache!
Is a lot easier to play a club, there the people are coming to dance and you have a great sound and light setup, that is the reason that club djing doesn't pay much, unless you make your owm music and you get that video clip on mtv.

Happy Spinning!

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 4:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)