Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VJ vs PCDJ FX or new reflex

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi I am new to this forum and also haven't had a chance to download the trial of vj. I currently am using pcdj fx with a dac3 & a gigaport ag, but also own ssl.
Please give me your input on the software. I am thinking of buying the new controller from denon hc-4500.
Guys i'm confused I hard pcdj is virtual what's the deal?? Can someone shed some light on this

Thanks in advance!!!

Posted Tue 01 Jan 08 @ 8:07 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
PCDJ VIDEO is a licensed version of VDJ. A few of the features of VDJ have been removed for PCDJ, VDJ light is a good description. Dont own the controllers your asking about so I cant help there but I am sure someone will pop in and shed some light on it for you.

Posted Tue 01 Jan 08 @ 9:03 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
That hardware is a pretty standard PCDJ set up and you should slide right into VDJ no problem.

Best is to install the demo and give it a test ride.
If you have questions, post them up here.
We have a forum full of helpful guys that have all the answers.

r

Posted Tue 01 Jan 08 @ 10:10 am
You will see that VDJ is very similar to PCDJ FX. I used PCDJ for many years and I was very impressed with the capabilities of VDJ. The thing that disturbed me the most was that every time I turned around, PCDJ was offering something new. Those "something's" were things that VDJ could already do in one nice package. The Virtual Rack Module (VRM) basically meant Virtually Reaching for Money. By the time you bought everything that PCDJ could do, you had more invested than you can make in income. Take it for a test drive and you will probably be like me. I went so long without PCDJ, the "remove icon ferry" asked me if I wanted PCDJ to go away.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 2:39 pm
I meant fairy...typing while thinking.....bad for the brain!

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 5:28 pm
The HC4500 is a great controller and can be used with virtual dj. It works nice too. I had the Dac 3 and the numark cm 200usb and sold it. The denon is good because it has audio rca jack ouputs that can hook up to any mixer. Someone told me that PCDJ reflex for the denon is not ready yet. The controller is ahead of its time, but for for virtual dj its working good.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 6:52 pm
There is a problem at the moment if the Denon HC4500 is used in native mode (Working displays and LED's), but it will hopefully be resolved soon.

It works perfectly as a general MIDI controller though (No working displays/LED's, but buttons, etc. can be mapped to control VDJ.)

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 7:12 pm
what do you mean it need to be mapped ? I tried all the cue points and they work, the pitch is good and the effetcs also. The display shows virtual dj and the name of of the song and everything else. I am using it right now. It works good but im getting fustrated because it is freezing on me alot. when i push play on the right side player, it hessitates to play or you have to push hard on the play button to get it started. The laptop is super fast and exceeds the mimimum. Maybe virtual dj has to be uppdated aliitle more for the denon. what i find as a coinsidence is that my dac 3 was doing the same thing too with another laptop. It hessitates sometuimes to play or you have to push hard on the play button

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 9:30 pm
@Caliente123, you have been around here long enough, to have seen this, and this. We do not need to start this again.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 11:17 pm
I am not starting anything.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 11:41 pm
Thats the thing with denon! the buttons.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 12:34 pm
Caliente123 wrote :
It works good but im getting fustrated because it is freezing on me alot

That's exactly the problem. This doesn't occur if it's used as a general MIDI controller instead and you map each button yourself manually, but you will no-longer have working displays and LED's (Only native support and/or a mapper can provide those.)

Hopefully the freezing problem will be resolved in the near future (This may require an Firmware update from Denon.)

Caliente123 wrote :
when i push play on the right side player, it hessitates to play or you have to push hard on the play button to get it started.

Providing it hasn't frozen, the buttons should respond instantly. They do on mine. Try turning off native support and map it using general MIDI instead. If you still get the same problem, you may have a faulty unit.

Caliente123 wrote :
as a coinsidence is that my dac 3 was doing the same thing too with another laptop. It hessitates sometuimes to play or you have to push hard on the play button

That was a common problem with the DAC-3 - The buttons are prone to failing, but can be restored to full working order if you are prepared to take it apart and clean/lubricate them with switch contact cleaner spray (As used to fix noisy faders on mixers.)

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 12:40 pm
deejayfrank just buy VDJ and have done with it, miss out the middle man. I was a PCDJ user for 6 years and the fact that they did'nt do video is why I made the switch, then they brought out VJ - this was VDJ anyway! look's like I made the right choice.

Reflex dose not even do video or karaoke, ps are you not sick of waiting for the release also? I did 2 years that was enough.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 12:40 pm
Lost count of the amount of Denon equipment that I have sent back due to faulty buttons and im not heavey handed.

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 12:44 pm
Thank you JP Boggins for the information. I just bought to Denon and i am building a small setup for small gigs because carrying two pioneer cdj1000mk3s and pioneer mixer inside a metal coffin is heavy. I can wait alittle for new updates

Posted Thu 03 Jan 08 @ 5:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)