Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: So how solid does VDJ + MK2 run with Vista ???? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So I have been having a recent issue with NVIDIA infinte loop bluescreens on my HP laptop as documented here.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/82608/PC_Version_Technical_Support/Flickering_video_problem_-_Minidump_posted.html

After looking at a bunch of links... one guy said upgrade to Vista fixed his problem. I kinda laughed at first, but I then said to myself that maybe that could help.

I have been using Vista since it came out and I am VERY HAPPY with it. I find that it runs more stable than windows XP and I definitely have the laptop power to run it.

I just felt that VDJ hasn't been ready to run on Vista which is why I keep a dual boot system on my laptop (with windows XP strictly for VDJ).

So its been a few months with Vista in the mainstream. I would like to ask my fellow VDJ Vista users what your experiences are?

For what it's worth... I use VDJ with a MK2 controller. No external soundcards or anything else of the sort. So it would help to hear from MK2 users.

Posted Sat 22 Dec 07 @ 10:15 pm
I run Vista and a MK2. I can tell u I noticed a tremendous difference in the video quality for the better. Make sure u have at least 2 gig ram.

Posted Sat 22 Dec 07 @ 10:32 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
I run Vista and a MK2. I can tell u I noticed a tremendous difference in the video quality for the better. Make sure u have at least 2 gig ram.

Core2Duo 7200
2GB RAM (I could upgrade if need be)
Quadro 1500M 512MB dedicated

I definitely have the punch to run Vista. So you actually noticed an improvement in the quality? What version of Vista you running? Any lockups?

Posted Sat 22 Dec 07 @ 10:38 pm
I am running Home Premium.

Posted Sat 22 Dec 07 @ 11:19 pm
reason vista runs better with video, is that XP is capped on direct X 9.0c

and vista runs Direct X 10+ ;-)

Direct X is a multimedia Video/Audio accelorator. that controls 99.9% of your video

you could see if there is a newer version of Direct X on microsofts website currently 9.0c for XP Pro "does not show in windows update nor automaticly updates"
"validation tool required to update (the anti-piracey utility)"

i have yet to step into Vista, waiting for most major fixes to pass 1st ;-)

Posted Sun 23 Dec 07 @ 2:22 pm
XP works great. I had Vista Home Premium and it was giving me audio distortion. I up graded to XP and now everything is perfect.

Posted Sun 23 Dec 07 @ 7:27 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I run Vista and it's been pretty stable (not 100% perfect, but I don't think any worse than XP). I have problems with glitchy audio all the time - but this is something I've had with all my sound in all programs, with almost all interfaces on all computers I've used, to varying extents.

It's not so bad that I can't DJ with it, but at times, like when loading large videos (i.e. incurring lots of disk activity) you'll hear pops and clicks in the headphones.

Caliente123, you say that you had better audio output with XP? Perhaps I should try a dual-boot scenario and see if that works better for me. I like Vista for the most part, but I'd get rid of it pretty quick if I knew for sure it'd fix my audio problems.

I even bought a very expensive soundcard (a MOTU Ultralite) which didn't help with that, but it did let me crank up the quality settings in virtualDJ and gave me lots of ins and outs to play with for timecode control and recording and stuff.

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 1:00 am
My DJ partner in crime upgraded his laptop to vista and what a nightmare it was! VDJ work but couldn't get MK2 or DAC-3 working with it at all, infact no other USB hardward would work with it even bog standard USB flash drives!! So gone back to XP for a bit, although when my new laptop arrives with vista on I'm going to give it a go myself!

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 5:07 am
I too have had recent problems with audio glitches/distortion (check out my fairly recent posts) and also run Vista. I have sought out where my problems where coming from, and that being the 'Keylock'. If I turn it off (which I don’t want too) the sound is cleaned up loads. Do you use 'keylock'?
Although I don’t use a Mk2 regular (I use XP10's) I have trailed the Mk2 and still have the same problems with audio. I run a reasonable spec laptop with 2 GB of ram, No matter what system performance settings I try, I cannot eradicate it.

With the above said, my recent advice (from Paz) was to check the compression of mp3 files, apparently anything under 320kbps is asking for trouble, and is prone to cause issues with the keylock feature due to very low compression. Most of my audio files are encoded between 160/256kbps and that is where I now think my main issue lies. I am going to experiment with the mp3 bit rate to see what differences it makes to me.

Maybe you don’t use keylock, and you audio files are encoded at a higher level, but it’s definitely something to think about. Lee

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 5:16 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
you can probably get away with it at 256, but by rule of thumb i dont spin anything under 320 period. it also depends on the range of the tracks. some tracks sound just fine at 128 even if they have good separation between frequency bands, and also depends on the mastering technique. However, you try to compress most jazz tracks at 256 and below, you can immediately hear the artifacts in the decay of cymbals and hats.

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 7:06 am
I've been running Vista since March. My specs: P4 2.8 ghz, 2 gb ram. OS and apps on one physical drive, music on different physical drive. That said I have had no issues with VDJ. However it should also be noted that I am just a bedroom DJ. I'm a professional programmer, so VDJ is just a toy for me (very fun toy!)

Hope this helps.

Peace,
James Rose
New York City

Posted Mon 24 Dec 07 @ 10:40 am
With my computer running on XP, I dont really need to configure much, just basic timecode config and the settings for quality is to the max. When i had Vista, i tried doing everything and still no solution. Everywhere i looked on the internet, all the pros said to use XP because it works alot better than vista. Ill install vista next year when they fixed everything. Right now vista is wack, just save yourselves the headache.

Posted Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 2:00 am
The computer i have is a dell 1501 inspiron with AMD turion 64 X2 2.0 GHz Dual core 2 gigs of ram and a 256 MB video card. I came with windows vista but i uninstalled it after the headaches. With XP, i never had an audio issue at all. It was easy for me to switch because i had the XP cd too.

Posted Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 2:05 am
Supacon wrote :
It's not so bad that I can't DJ with it, but at times, like when loading large videos (i.e. incurring lots of disk activity) you'll hear pops and clicks in the headphones.

I get occasional audio pops in my headphones running XP and never thought twice about because since it's not coming out of the master outputs and out the clubs speakers it's not an issue to me.

Posted Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 12:43 pm
Ok... well I loaded Vista on a separate hard drive on my laptop. I just ran a 16 hour straight video automix. So far no lockups or issues with the audio. Seems to be running OK.

Video looks good. No choppiness or artifacts.

Can any of the Vista users post some of your tweaks with this software? Right now I am running default VDJ performances and such. I don't think I need to change any of the VDJ settings. I guess I am just looking for some Vista tweaks. I already turned Aero off and went to Windows Classic appearance.

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 10:07 am
If it is running well I wouldnt change anything:) I have found when getting rid of processes some are used with others and can have a bad effect. Just turn off Defender, Sidebar, and UAC.

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 1:51 pm
Well the real test will be tonight I suppose when I am actually playing live. I already have the UAC and sidebar off. I'll have to check Defender.

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 2:19 pm
Good luck my friend and hopefully your issues are left in 07.

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 2:41 pm
Yeap. Thanks.

Its strange. I'll go weeks without a single glitch. Then I end up having issues at every gig.

Hopefully the vista version of my video drivers run better than the XP because I am almost positive this is an Nvidia issue not related to VDJ. Or at least its not a direct VDJ issue and VDJ is just making the video driver work harder and be more prone to have its issue.

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 4:35 pm
Crap... I just realized a problem.

When you output VDJ to a TV-OUT... it always produced a black frame around the picture which was enhanced when you output to some type of digital TV (like a flat panel).

With the NVIDIA XP drivers you can scale the TV-OUT picture and make the picture larger which eliminates this black frame. But I can't seem to find out how to do this under Vista and preliminary searching seems to say that this feature isn't available.

I sure hope this isn't the case. What are Vista users doing to eliminate this annoying black frame around your TV out picture?

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 4:45 pm
80%