Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Timecode difference between red and blue side of Numark TCV?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

i just set up my VDJ with timecode vinyls today. Everything mostly worked as expected right from the start, but after mixing for four hours straight on the new system (which felt great!!) one thing remains which I find odd:

I'm using the Numark control vinyls and i can't help noticing that the timecode on the *red* side of *both* vinyls on *both* decks and with *both* cartridges deteriorates in quality once the needle travels towards the centre of the record. When I place the needle on the third "track" (or "ring) counting from the inside on the red side of the record I can see that the pitch starts fluctuating. It's not a huge fluctuation, +/- 0.3 BPM on a 123 BPM track, but it's irritating because it suggest that the record is not being played at a constant speed.

This is 100% reproducable on both of my decks (Technics 1210) and on both timecode vinyls but *only* on the red side of the record. The blue side does not seem to have this problem, ie the pitch stays perfectly stable across the whole record.

Has anybody else noticed this? Is it possible that there is a slight fault in the pressing of these TCVs that appears only on the red side?

Or is this actually well within the limits of what one can reasonably expect from a TCV system? I'm sorry if my question sounds weird of overly worried - I'm completely new to TCV.

Thanks!

Posted Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 7:22 pm
I have this problem to. For a long time I was stupid to think it had something to do with the settings of the software... but of course it's the tcv's. A little fluctuation is to be expected, but when it becomes audible then it's definetively something wrong with the TCV, and no it's not acceptable. It wouldn't be on any other vinyl, and these are2-4 times the price of a conventional 12 inch. Have to say in general the Numark vinyls seems to be of low quality. Bad prints and warped discs... to bad. Hope we see the serato vinyl plugin soon....

Posted Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 7:44 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

That's a Strange one, you would of thought that the code would be the same all away to the end of the disc.

Maybe DJ Cyder might be able to explain this one, since he has developed the Timecode for VDJ.

Jimmy b

Posted Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 7:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)