Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: HELP Virtual folders are gone :-(

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All, I desperately need some help here -> I’ve updated from V4.3 to 5.6 today & everything worked smooth as stated in the manual all songs were there & analyzed BUT: I’ve lost my “virtual folders”  ?! this is actually almost 2years of work to divide my music library into segments related to the kind of party I have to do.
So I desperately need them back by Friday. HELP PLEASE.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 4:50 am
The weird thing is that they were all there the first time I’ve started V5.6 but after the first PC reboot they are gone ? I use XP.

Posted Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 4:54 am
Never mind with a little XML editing between the new & old DB the Virtual folders are recovered :-)

Posted Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 8:01 am
Many have had that same problem. can you explain, for the benefit of those who might run into that issue in the future, axactly what kind of editing you did and why?

Posted Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 4:44 am
Well actually it’s not that difficult,

Ones upgraded there are several DB’s build by VDJ one on every drive where music is stored & one in the installation folder so for XP it is My documents & Vista it would be user/my documents all called “database V5.XML”.
What I did was open the .x4 database what is copied on upgrade also in the my documents folder & is called: "VirtualDJ Database (user-name).XML" just open it through explorer & click:” -> view -> source “. So now the DB will be opened in notepad.
Browse to the lines where you can see “<VirtualFolder Name =” …”.>” & copy everything there till the next <virtual folder line> if you have them.
When done open the V5 folder on its location the same way & ad the copied files just before the last line (</VirtualDJ_Database>) only make sure you ad -> Order=”..” behind the “<VirtualFolder Name =” …”.>” where .. is the actual place where the virtual folder will be displayed in the browse menu.
In other words when you have ex. 5 folders showing up in your browser like 1= hits 2=slows etc… till five then you should state for a virtual folder you just copied & is called “test” for example : <VirtualFolder Name=”Test” Order=”6”> when done so close the DB reopen VDJ & your 6the folder will be your virtual folder named “Test” with all the original files there.

Hope this helps.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 5:56 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)